5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just the basics- correct abs and HCU modules installed, and abs initialized? DASM is calibrated? Make sure Linbus wire is in the correct location on your harness. If you had auto dim mirror before, does it still function?
Yes, I had installed the HCU and ABS over the weekend and it is working. Now I do have the issue of the parking brake light on before I installed the other items. Maybe the ABS wasn't fully initialized. Should I remove the DASM reset the settings and take it in to have that fixed first? I have checked the wiring several times to make sure everything is in the correct spot.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Oh, and yes, my auto dim mirror works the same as the old one. It dims like it is supposed to do.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I had installed the HCU and ABS over the weekend and it is working. Now I do have the issue of the parking brake light on before I installed the other items. Maybe the ABS wasn't fully initialized. Should I remove the DASM reset the settings and take it in to have that fixed first? I have checked the wiring several times to make sure everything is in the correct spot.
Did you have the DASM calibrated?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Not yet, the instructions say to do it after everything is installed and there are no warnings on the dash.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

vincentw56

Reaction score
I reverted all the settings back for now. I still have stability errors and active park sense errors. I get those errors no matter if the DASM is plugged in or not.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the LIN bus is backwards. I was having many errors and issues even after I reverted the changes. I unplugged the DASM and it stopped some of the errors. As I was driving it was saying service shifter over and over.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the LIN bus is backwards. I was having many errors and issues even after I reverted the changes. I unplugged the DASM and it stopped some of the errors. As I was driving it was saying service shifter over and over.

I apologize, I meant canbus c hi and lo wires not flip flopped (Linbus is single wire not used on DASM).

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That would definitely wreak havoc on all the modules on the chassis network (abs, park sense, steering column control, drivetrain, etc).

vincentw56

Reaction score
When I get back tonight, I'll swap them and see.

tdb0021

Reaction score
When I get back tonight, I'll swap them and see.

No need to take it into the dealer until the all warnings are off the dash, so if you have warnings, there are probably a few things missing. I'd start with the EPB warning light first. Allegedly there all that is required is an initialization. At the time of my installation, the alphaOBD ABS initialization was not working correctly, which is why i had to take it in. If you go into the ABS module you should see what DTC you have - it's probably ECU in plant mode. This will effect the DASM one way or another.

Double check the wiring for sure, and make sure you have solid connections on the connector. Check for good power too. you can't tell the DASM is powered other than it heats up. If your BCM thinks the DASM is there, but it's not powered, you'll throw codes. you should also be able to read the DASM DTC in alpha obd under 2016-2017 grand Cherokee.

vincentw56

Reaction score
It was the CANBUS wiring it was reversed. The only warning I have is the parking break. I'll try what you suggested. And I get the "plant mode" when I try to enable the cruise. I plan on heading to the dealer Friday.

tdb0021

Reaction score
It was the CANBUS wiring it was reversed. The only warning I have is the parking break. I'll try what you suggested. And I get the "plant mode" when I try to enable the cruise. I plan on heading to the dealer Friday.

Awesome! Nice job. Now that you've finished the installation, is there anything that you think needs to be added, or wasn't clear enough in the original document? Sounds like you got through it relatively easily.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Awesome! Nice job. Now that you've finished the installation, is there anything that you think needs to be added, or wasn't clear enough in the original document? Sounds like you got through it relatively easily.
I need to double check, but I think the wiring for the CANBUS is reversed in the instructions. I will look at my extra connectors and let you know. Outside of that, it was great. I had no issues with installing anything else. It is easy if you know how to bleed brakes. That would be the biggest hurdle for people who have never done it before. Even though it is easy to do. I am going to dealer this Friday to get it calibrated.

tdb0021

Reaction score
I need to double check, but I think the wiring for the CANBUS is reversed in the instructions. I will look at my extra connectors and let you know. Outside of that, it was great. I had no issues with installing anything else. It is easy if you know how to bleed brakes. That would be the biggest hurdle for people who have never done it before. Even though it is easy to do. I am going to dealer this Friday to get it calibrated.

Yes, definitely let me know if that is reversed, I double checked it before I wrote it up, but I could be wrong. Glad you figured it out.

I would also add that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to wrap the wires that go to the DASM in a heat shrink or good electrical tape job to cover them up. Since the dealer will have to access the DASM for a calibration, any exposed wires may look a little out of place.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does this look factory enough?
446e2161addd0240cf65aee60046696d.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@vincentw56 , off topic for a minute- do you have the windows version of AlfaOBD, and do you still have that 2021 BCM?

tdb0021

Reaction score
Ok, gonna send you a PM in a bit. Me and another guy are gonna start really looking into the digital rear view mirror and getting it to work.

I have already seen someone add this to their 1500. From what he told me, it has nothing to do with the BCM, he said the mirror and the CHMSL are direct connected. Not sure if this helps you at all.

Users who are viewing this thread