5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have already seen someone add this to their 1500. From what he told me, it has nothing to do with the BCM, he said the mirror and the CHMSL are direct connected. Not sure if this helps you at all.
Yes, it’s been added to the 2021s successfully, but doesn’t work 100% correct (auto dimming feature is lost for regular mirror mode). It’s definitely a bcm/settings issue for those with pre-2021s. The guy that’s going to be helping is going far beyond the settings changes, and is going to be looking into the differences of lin bus messages being used on the fully functional option vs messages used previous BCMs. I’ll be installing it on my 2017, and he’ll be installing it on his 2015, and hopefully get it to work correctly for any other year.

tdb0021

Reaction score
I need to double check, but I think the wiring for the CANBUS is reversed in the instructions. I will look at my extra connectors and let you know. Outside of that, it was great. I had no issues with installing anything else. It is easy if you know how to bleed brakes. That would be the biggest hurdle for people who have never done it before. Even though it is easy to do. I am going to dealer this Friday to get it calibrated.
did you get it activated successfully?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Alright, chalk up another successful install. Everything works perfectly. Well, I haven't been able to test the front collision avoidance yet.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright, chalk up another successful install. Everything works perfectly. We'll, I haven't been able to test the front collision avoidance yet.

Good to hear. I need to stop dragging my feet and order the correct HCU.

Easiest way I think to see if FCW will react is to set it to far, and wait for someone to start slowing in front of you to make a turn. Mine will usually start beeping at about 3-4 truck lengths if they haven’t gotten completely out of the lane by then and you aren’t on the brakes or slowing significantly. I don’t run it with the braking on so I can’t speak as to how quickly it reacts after the initial alert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Reaction score

Easiest way I think to see if FCW will react is to set it to far, and wait for someone to start slowing in front of you to make a turn. Mine will usually start beeping at about 3-4 truck lengths if they haven’t gotten completely out of the lane by then and you aren’t on the brakes or slowing significantly. I don’t run it with the braking on so I can’t speak as to how quickly it reacts after the initial alert.

I'll try it and see.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Alright, chalk up another successful install. Everything works perfectly. Well, I haven't been able to test the front collision avoidance yet.
Awesome! Thrilled to have someone else complete this from scratch like I did. Check out comma.ai when you get the chance. My truck completely drives itself on interstates now. Very very nice to have.

nekit

Reaction score

I have yet to see my FCW work. Mine is factory installed with pedestrian. I have it set to far. I set up some large boxes in my driveway and it just plowed them over. No braking, no warning. I kind of want to see what it is like, so it doesn't scare the crap out of my the first time.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Awesome! Thrilled to have someone else complete this from scratch like I did. Check out comma.ai when you get the chance. My truck completely drives itself on interstates now. Very very nice to have.
Oh, yeah, I'm checking that out for sure. I've been following it. How hard was it to adapt the harness?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have yet to see my FCW work. Mine is factory installed with pedestrian. I have it set to far. I set up some large boxes in my driveway and it just plowed them over. No braking, no warning. I kind of want to see what it is like, so it doesn't scare the crap out of my the first time.
I might setup a foam wall and see.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’m not sure how well it reacts to a totally stationary object. From what I understand it uses algorithms to compute closing distance, time to collision, etc, based on two moving objects… I’ve had it go off several times either while coasting up on someone that was slowing to turn, or if someone suddenly slams their brakes and I don’t react as soon as it thinks I should. I’ve even coasted towards stoped traffic at a pretty good pace and it hadn’t alerted me before I got to the edge of my comfort zone and hit the brakes on my own.

I’m thinking about having someone throw a body pillow out in my path of travel to see if it’ll pick up on that thinking it’s a pedestrian entering my path.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I’m not sure how well it reacts to a totally stationary object. From what I understand it uses algorithms to compute closing distance, time to collision, etc, based on two moving objects… I’ve had it go off several times either while coasting up on someone that was slowing to turn, or if someone suddenly slams their brakes and I don’t react as soon as it thinks I should. I’ve even coasted towards stoped traffic at a pretty good pace and it hadn’t alerted me before I got to the edge of my comfort zone and hit the brakes on my own.

I’m thinking about having someone throw a body pillow out in my path of travel to see if it’ll pick up on that thinking it’s a pedestrian entering my path.

Reading the service manual states it should track stationary objects.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I'm checking that out for sure. I've been following it. How hard was it to adapt the harness?
The harness is very simple to make. If you can make the one for the DASM, you can make the one for comma. I highly recommend it.

As for the FCW, I’ve had it go off on me before, but I have the emergency braking turned off, because I don’t want the truck slamming the brakes for me. It did that once when I was backing up and had hot coffee in my hand. It was not pleasant

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading the service manual states it should track stationary objects.

If it does, it sure has more confidence in the trucks ability to stop than I do. I’ve never had it apply the brakes, but I’ve heard it actually does a pretty damn good job getting stopped.

vincentw56

Reaction score
If it does, it sure has more confidence in the trucks ability to stop than I do. I’ve never had it apply the brakes, but I’ve heard it actually does a pretty damn good job getting stopped.

It's an interesting read about all the things it does even before I decides to stop.

St-na

Reaction score
I had only one or two times this warning on my dash, not sure if it's 100% avoiding accidents, but it gives some help.

St-na

Reaction score
From Your very first post thinking about comma.ai, checked discord and spoke with comma.ai support. Since they do not support RAM officially and all responsibility is ours, I am little bit concerned.

tdb0021

Reaction score
From Your very first post thinking about comma.ai, checked discord and spoke with comma.ai support. Since they do not support RAM officially and all responsibility is ours, I am little bit concerned.
To each their own... I could see someone being hesitant about it. The code hasn't been upstreamed yet for Ram - which will happen soon. Running this kind of development hardware does not worry me, especially since I know how the safety features work in both openpilot and Ram. The safety standards are the same across the board for non-supported vehicles and supported vehicles. I've had several multi-hour drives where i haven't had to intervene or touch the wheel all. it's really quite amazing.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So I set my FCW distance to medium and it went off when I was coming up on a vehicle that was turning. It didn't apply the brakes, but that's because they turned. So it seems to be working too.

gmenarvino

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen, I'm impressed with all this work!
I have a question for you, I have a brand new ram trx that because I wasn't able to build myself it didn't come with adaptive cruise control, but it has all other features, this is what I actually have: (see below in yellow color)

@Stepanchina I think I saw you mentioning you got lane keep assist working just changing config? (no ACC)

@Jimmy07 see attached the stock system ID parameters.

@Stepanchina and @Jimmy07 I think I just need to order:
And some config over AlfaOBD?
What would be the changes? those published by @tdb0021 ?
You need to enable/disable the following:
Auto Highbeam: Yes
Cruise Control Present: No
Collision Mitigation System Present: Yes
Forward Collision Warning Present: Yes
Lane Departure Warning Present: Yes
Full Speed Range Forward Collision Warning Plus System: Yes
Type of adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system present: ACC with stop and go
Auto High Beam Module Location: IRCM
Forward Collision Warning CSM Present: Feature 2 – 3 Option
Forward Collision Mitigation Braking CSM Present: No
Auto High Beam CSM Present: Yes