5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happened to us today. Just driving down a main street with stop lights frequently and when stopped the engine would shut off (not the auto-stop start). Would have to turn it off and on again. Fortunately, people were patient.

2019 Laramie V8 hemi (not etorque) 40 k miles

I ran the obd2 tonight and 2 codes popped up

P1C64 "engine speed below target during autostart"
P2BA3 "starter generator mechanical performance"

I cant find anything on these codes. I am certified pre-owned for another year and half. If its recurrent I'll have to take it in.

Those codes are eTorque related

userx

Reaction score
Wish I didn't have to create an account but here I am, 2019 1500 5.7 (not e-torque) 35k miles stalled at 35 mph, no lights on dashboard except the "put vehicle in park" message. Almost rear ended by delivery truck behind me for some crazy reason he not expecting me to lose power for no reason. I was almost home and on town roads so was able to restart after several tries, happened 3 more times in about 5 miles by time I got home. Next day truck would start then immediately turned off, no warning lights again, no message on display. I rechecked oil and gas levels, TIPM connections and a couple other things I found browsing the forums for this issue to no avail. Waiting on appt at dealer w/ no loaner. Has anyone had experience with rental reimbursement from @RamCares I just spoke to them and they said once I paid for the rental someone in another dept will review it for reimbursement. They said they could not provide any information that may qualify or disqualify a claim, asked to be transferred to that dept and was told no, asked to speak to anyone else or to an online resource or anything for more info before potentially renting another vehicle for weeks (if I'm lucky from what I'm reading). I know things happen with vehicles but really disappointed with FCA not at least supporting their well paying customers. NHTSA complaint logged.

Update Edit: Dealer determined cause was corroded RF controller located behind the rear seat, replaced module and wiring harness (3 months after warranty ran out of course but was able to work with FCA for partial coverage). The dealer was not able to find root cause like leaking window seal or issue with the track on the back window. I know computers run vehicles now but seems like a terrible design to have this failure point for turning off the engine when driving (if anyone could share some technical insight I'd be curious). I'm concerned about this happening again in ~3 years and most importantly having the engine shut down abruptly and then also having to cover full cost.

Interested if anyone else has had this issue.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey @users

If you'd like some assistance with your reimbursement case, send us a direct message! We'd love to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

DubC

Reaction score
Just FYI, after the TSB was preformed on my truck in June, I've not had one incident of a stall. And I've not turned auto start/stop off to try to mitigate anything. If you can, try to get that reprogramming TSB performed on your truck. Dealers suck in a way that if a TSB 'disqualifies' your truck based on dates, they won't perform it. Even when the symptoms are the same. I would shame them and try goin Karen on them until it's fixed. This is a safety issue.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try this...

Attachments

• RAM TSB 18_091__22.pdf
    696.8 KB · Views: 44

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I had this issue come up this past Sunday. The problem first came up when I was exiting my parking spot at Home Depot.

Vehicle: RAM 1500 Crew Cab

Edition: Limited

Model Year: 2020

Mileage: 42,000

Engine: 5.7 eTorque

The engine shut off and the truck went into park. The dash message read: "Shifter Autocorrect Active".

I was able to restart and proceeded to drive about 5 miles on the freeway. When I pulled off for my exit, it happened again. I was able to restart several times until I could make it to a parking lot and wait for a tow truck.

While in the parking lot, the truck would not even idle in PARK. It would shut off within 15 seconds.

I towed it to the local dealer which was closed for New Years.

They were able to squeeze me in because of the serious nature of this issue - which I appreciate.

The findings from the dealer was the same as all of you have indicated - no error codes.

They did say that the Technician looked at the RF controller to see if there was an issue and found a leak from the rear window. They insisted the RF controller was fine.

I asked about the TSB that many of you have mentioned in this thread.

They said that TSB 18-091-22 did not pertain to my vehicle.

Their next appointment for a more detailed inspection is 4 weeks away.

I cannot believe that RAM does not have a resolution and corrective action for this issue. It is a major safety hazard.

If "RamCares" actually cares, it would be great if they guided us on how to get this fixed. Someone is going to get hurt and I can imagine numerous lawsuits as well.

I see that they monitor this forum, but have not provided any guidance3 for this issue - HELP!!!

kevinkon

Reaction score
d
Just submitted my complaint to the NHTSA. Mine was pretty much the same as everyone else. Without warning when coasting to a right hand turn the engine shut off. Coasted to a stop, put it in park and started back up. Only 3200 miles on my 2021 1500 Laramie (Etourque).

did anything ever come of your complaint?

kevinkon

Reaction score
Sooo still at the dealership. Was escalated to a Star Tech at ram and is now in the hands of the next level at RAM. RAM reviewed the data collected by the Dealership who said their were no codes tec. The RAM guy says he saw some interesting things int he data and asked for more info. That is why it is still at the Dealership. Ill lest you know hen I hear more.
Was there a resolution to this?

WJL24

Reaction score
Add another one to the list...just happened to me in my 2022 w/ eTorque with only 1200 miles on it.

Wanted to take a drive after work today and pulled the truck out of the garage to warm up for about 10 minutes. Took off on my drive and got to the end of my road (about 1/8 mile) slowed to turn right and the engine sounded like it was stalling. It shut off, automatically applied the e-brake, and told me to shift to park. After I shifted to park it started back up. Check engine light was on as well as the low battery indicator. Voltage was reading 12.1 to 12.0 as I drove a few miles. Came back to my house and stopped/started the truck and the voltage came back up to 14.0. Check engine light was still on after a few restarts. I ended up disconnecting the battery and that cleared out the check engine light. Went for a 30-minute drive with plenty of stops and turns with no issues voltage reading 14.1. I'm hoping it was a one-off thing, but I doubt it based on other comments. If it happens again, I'll be off to the dealer.

Has anyone ever had this happened with the auto stop/start disabled? From my uneducated guess it just feels like something with the stop/start feature going haywire.
My 2019 with standard V-6 did it tonight both with stop/start on and with it disabled. Had to disconnect/reconnect battery each time to get it to go and make it home.

userx

Reaction score
Wish I didn't have to create an account but here I am, 2019 1500 5.7 (not e-torque) 35k miles stalled at 35 mph, no lights on dashboard except the "put vehicle in park" message. Almost rear ended by delivery truck behind me for some crazy reason he not expecting me to lose power for no reason. I was almost home and on town roads so was able to restart after several tries, happened 3 more times in about 5 miles by time I got home. Next day truck would start then immediately turned off, no warning lights again, no message on display. I rechecked oil and gas levels, TIPM connections and a couple other things I found browsing the forums for this issue to no avail. Waiting on appt at dealer w/ no loaner. Has anyone had experience with rental reimbursement from @RamCares I just spoke to them and they said once I paid for the rental someone in another dept will review it for reimbursement. They said they could not provide any information that may qualify or disqualify a claim, asked to be transferred to that dept and was told no, asked to speak to anyone else or to an online resource or anything for more info before potentially renting another vehicle for weeks (if I'm lucky from what I'm reading). I know things happen with vehicles but really disappointed with FCA not at least supporting their well paying customers. NHTSA complaint logged.

Update Edit: Dealer determined cause was corroded RF controller located behind the rear seat, replaced module and wiring harness (3 months after warranty ran out of course but was able to work with FCA for partial coverage). The dealer was not able to find root cause like leaking window seal or issue with the track on the back window. I know computers run vehicles now but seems like a terrible design to have this failure point for turning off the engine when driving (if anyone could share some technical insight I'd be curious). I'm concerned about this happening again in ~3 years and most importantly having the engine shut down abruptly and then also having to cover full cost.

Interested if anyone else has had this issue.
Well I had the same exact issue occur several times this morning after just over 3 weeks from the dealer appointment, replacing the RF controller obviously was not the solution. @RamCares I responded to the email with the customer service rep and received an automated email that the case was closed - can this please be reopened?

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Well I had the same exact issue occur several times this morning after just over 3 weeks from the dealer appointment, replacing the RF controller obviously was not the solution. @RamCares I responded to the email with the customer service rep and received an automated email that the case was closed - can this please be reopened?
Darn - I thought you were on to something with the RF controller.

My truck is still in the shop and they are working on getting the rear window leak repaired. Water had dripped onto the RF controller and I saw your post, so I thought we were on to something.

I think that I will still have them change the controller, just to avoid an issue later on.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@users ,

Please send us a DM with your case number so that we can take a look into this for you!

Callie
Ram Cares

userx

Reaction score
Darn - I thought you were on to something with the RF controller.

My truck is still in the shop and they are working on getting the rear window leak repaired. Water had dripped onto the RF controller and I saw your post, so I thought we were on to something.

I think that I will still have them change the controller, just to avoid an issue later on.
The dealer said they inspected the back window for leaks but did not find any source of corrosion for it, I'm not 100% sure exactly where the RF controller is relative to the interior of the cab but there is no moisture in any season on any inside surface/window and zero smell of dampness/mildew/etc. I'll update the post when I hear back from the dealer on this round.

I understand everything is now electronic and computer controlled but I just can't wrap my head around a design that results in the engine shutting down while driving for a non-critical mechanical or electro issue, losing faith in this truck FAST.

Reaction score
This just happened to my wife this morning as she was turning into our neighborhood. She was in the truck with two of our children. Our truck is a 2021 Ram Laramie eTorque. We have approximately 25,000 mi on it. She was turning into the neighborhood at a slow speed and installed out on her, dashboard lights came on and it applied the brake. Thankfully this didn't cause an accident. It's a little concerning to see how long this problem's going on per this thread and people are still having issues. I really like the truck but now I'm having some safety concerns as a result of this.

Snekpete

Reaction score
This just happened to my wife this morning as she was turning into our neighborhood. She was in the truck with two of our children. Our truck is a 2021 Ram Laramie eTorque. We have approximately 25,000 mi on it. She was turning into the neighborhood at a slow speed and installed out on her, dashboard lights came on and it applied the brake. Thankfully this didn't cause an accident. It's a little concerning to see how long this problem's going on per this thread and people are still having issues. I really like the truck but now I'm having some safety concerns as a result of this.
First there is a TSB out for a PCM update for low speed stalls: 18-091-22 RAM Technical Service Bulletin.

If that doesn't help and if this only happens at low speed while making a sharp turn then my suspicion is the electronic power steering pump has an issue and shorts out or significantly over loads the electrical system. That can only be fixed by replacing the steering rack.

Reaction score
First there is a TSB out for a PCM update for low speed stalls: 18-091-22 RAM Technical Service Bulletin.

If that doesn't help and if this only happens at low speed while making a sharp turn then my suspicion is the electronic power steering pump has an issue and shorts out or significantly over loads the electrical system. That can only be fixed by replacing the steering rack.
Thanks for this info. I noted that tsb as it was mentioned earlier. Will call a local dealer and see when we can get it in and will mention this tsb.

Users who are viewing this thread