5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

hengda

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A month ago I was driving in traffic at very low speed, pretty much bumper to bumper.

Suddenly the truck engine shuts off and the hazard lights came on by it self. I was not able to get it restarted immediately. All entertainment and lights were still working. there are no warning lights or anything. At the moment I thought it was my car sensor dirty that caused a emergency break, but it was clear and clean. After a couple of try the car restarted up and i was able to drive off.

Brought it to the dealership, they said there was no error code or anything so they are not able to help out. Called Ram Canada, wasnt able to get any help also..

Any chance anyone else has experienced this? or any other trouble shooting I can do to narrow down. This had never happened again since.

Ram 1500 Big Horn 2019 5.7

68_cuda

Reaction score
Yes, my truck also did this. Backed out of a parking spot, rolled the shifter to Drive the truck shut off. It did start but all the warning lights in the dash were on drove to the dealer and pulled in the service drive with them all on service writer looked at couldn't get it in until Monday, it was Saturday. Monday all lights have cleared themselves and they cannot duplicate the problem, no codes are stored. Wonderful!!!

hengda

Reaction score
Yes, my truck also did this. Backed out of a parking spot, rolled the shifter to Drive the truck shut off. It did start but all the warning lights in the dash were on drove to the dealer and pulled in the service drive with them all on service writer looked at couldn't get it in until Monday, it was Saturday. Monday all lights have cleared themselves and they cannot duplicate the problem, no codes are stored. Wonderful!!!

They still weren’t sure about mine. They found a update code to the transmission. It haven’t happened again, but give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDanecker

Reaction score
Next time it happens see if you get a 'no bus' error where the odometer is. Check it before resetting or restarting.

Kamacaru

Reaction score
I experienced the stalling problem with my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with the Hemi etorque. I currently have 2300 miles.

While traveling at approximately 35 mph I slowed to make a very sharp right hand turn. Truck was moving slowly enough, maybe 5-8 mph through the turn that I did not apply the accelerator, nor did I have any brake pressure applied to complete the turn. Before I could straighten the truck out of the turn, it stalled. Center screen stated to place vehicle in park before starting. I did not recall seeing an error message "no bus" as the previous post asks

As I eased to the side of the road 1-2 mph, the truck automatically applied the parking brake and abruptly stopped. I placed the shifter dial into Park and restarted without any issue. I have had the truck stall before, but I do not recall the exact conditions under which it did. Heading to the dealership on 4/1, I am fairly certain that they will not find or be able to duplicate the problem. I will be sure to post any answers. I did log into the mopar connect feature and it does not detect any codes or issues.

Would this have anything to do with the auto start/stop feature, or possible crankshaft positioning sensor, as mentioned in another article online?

jesusdiaz23

Reaction score
I experienced the stalling problem with my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab with the Hemi etorque. I currently have 2300 miles.

While traveling at approximately 35 mph I slowed to make a very sharp right hand turn. Truck was moving slowly enough, maybe 5-8 mph through the turn that I did not apply the accelerator, nor did I have any brake pressure applied to complete the turn. Before I could straighten the truck out of the turn, it stalled. Center screen stated to place vehicle in park before starting. I did not recall seeing an error message "no bus" as the previous post asks

As I eased to the side of the road 1-2 mph, the truck automatically applied the parking brake and abruptly stopped. I placed the shifter dial into Park and restarted without any issue. I have had the truck stall before, but I do not recall the exact conditions under which it did. Heading to the dealership on 4/1, I am fairly certain that they will not find or be able to duplicate the problem. I will be sure to post any answers. I did log into the mopar connect feature and it does not detect any codes or issues.

Would this have anything to do with the auto start/stop feature, or possible crankshaft positioning sensor, as mentioned in another article online?
Just had this same exact scenario happen to me. Any word from the dealer?

deeman4da

Reaction score

The exact same thing just happened to me this morning in 2021 1500 Limited. It restarted in the same manner as yours, but I don't have a good feeling about this. I've only had the truck for two months with less than 1,000 miles driven.

Dweaver

Reaction score
The exact same thing just happened to me this morning in 2021 1500 Limited. It restarted in the same manner as yours, but I don't have a good feeling about this. I've only had the truck for two months with less than 1,000 miles driven.
It happened to me too. Huge safety issue. It happened twice when coming from a stop and pulling into traffic. 2021 1500 Hemi etourque. Report it through NHTSA so they can track this as a known safety issue. 4,500 miles on my truck and I’ve also had the backup camera fail and clockspring in the steering wheel go. At the dealer awaiting word but I have to say I will not accept it back if there is no definitive solution

Dweaver

Reaction score
It happened to me too. Huge safety issue. It happened twice when coming from a stop and pulling into traffic. 2021 1500 Hemi etourque. Report it through NHTSA so they can track this as a known safety issue. 4,500 miles on my truck and I’ve also had the backup camera fail and clockspring in the steering wheel go. At the dealer awaiting word but I have to say I will not accept it back if there is no definitive solution

Dealer said it can’t be duplicated and wants to return my truck to me even though it is knowingly unsafe. Any updates from others ?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just had this same exact scenario happen to me. Any word from the dealer?

Hello everyone,
We certainly share the concerns you've expressed here. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may investigate this further. We would also be happy to escalate a case on your behalf should you choose to address this with your dealer.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Dweaver

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
We certainly share the concerns you've expressed here. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may investigate this further. We would also be happy to escalate a case on your behalf should you choose to address this with your dealer.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
I wish “Ram Cares”. Ram and the dealer both support putting me into an unsafe car. Dealer didn’t duplicate the stall so they’re returning the vehicle. Ram customer support and corporate agree with the decision on having me drive a truck that stalls since it was never duplicated at the dealer in that small window of time they test drive the car. Ram is the opposite of someone that cares willing to put me , my family and others on the road in danger. Unbelievable

kosoku

Reaction score
My wife just called me hysterical. Driving below 15mph making a turn in the neighborhood truck abruptly stopped, stalled and engaged parking brake.
It did restart.
15 minutes later she called again crying because it applied the auto brake while reversing and nothing was behind her (not as concerned about this as it’s happened to me too).
but dying while driving ? Help!

ReynierA

Reaction score
Yesterday my truck did exactly the same like yours did. 3rd time on the last 10 days, while turning to the left at around 10-15 mph the truck just die. Insane, parking brake engage and the guy behing me almost hit me. Was luckly enough to not get hit. Dealer say they can't duplicate the issue and they are not doing anything. Called FCA and they offered me a courtesy vehicule on the meantime. I wont be driving that vehicule until something is done with this. Also to everyone on this forum with this issue, reach me directly if you are willing to file a complaint. i do have a case open with FCA and thinking on this can be worsen.

Dweaver

Reaction score
Yesterday my truck did exactly the same like yours did. 3rd time on the last 10 days, while turning to the left at around 10-15 mph the truck just die. Insane, parking brake engage and the guy behing me almost hit me. Was luckly enough to not get hit. Dealer say they can't duplicate the issue and they are not doing anything. Called FCA and they offered me a courtesy vehicule on the meantime. I wont be driving that vehicule until something is done with this. Also to everyone on this forum with this issue, reach me directly if you are willing to file a complaint. i do have a case open with FCA and thinking on this can be worsen.
FCA won’t do anything to help you. I say that but hope you have better luck than me. I worked with them and the dealer and they would not help at all. FCA closed the case because the dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. I tried to escalate for a buy back or exchange , they did escalate it to a higher power , but it got rejected and my case was closed out. If the dealer doesn’t duplicate it your screwed and it’s like it never happened. They’ll put you back in the truck. They don’t care.

ReynierA

Reaction score
FCA won’t do anything to help you. I say that but hope you have better luck than me. I worked with them and the dealer and they would not help at all. FCA closed the case because the dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. I tried to escalate for a buy back or exchange , they did escalate it to a higher power , but it got rejected and my case was closed out. If the dealer doesn’t duplicate it your screwed and it’s like it never happened. They’ll put you back in the truck. They don’t care.
what about if i use a dash cam to record my daily driving until it happen again?!?!? Have someone tried that before?
I need the record of what they did on the truck for all this time, once it happens again (if happens) will be going back to the dealer.
Also i reported this to NHTSA, did you filled a complaint already?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't let them close it out. You give them their 3 tries and force feed them the truck back. Every single we couldn't duplicate this is a free lemon law strike. Maybe they'll fix it when they know you are coming for them, probably not. The entire lemon law is done to wear you down. Just keep pushing thats how it goes and you will get it done.

Mags69

Reaction score
The same thing has happened to me twice in two weeks while going over a speed bump. 2021 1500 Larimie e-torque. It's less than a month old and 1200 miles.

ReynierA

Reaction score
at some point the e-torque is sending the wrong information to the engine. All this are e-torque related trucks. One person resolved the issue replacing the PCM. But so far i have not had any luck with my dealer finding a solution.

Dweaver

Reaction score
I urge everyone to report this to NHTSA so they can track this.

I wish someone with FCA/Stellantis / ram cared. They drove my truck almost 400 miles. Never happened when they had it so they gave it back so in their mind not an issue. I pray I’m safe. Not comfortable and no one will help. Funny when I try to trade it in to them they say they won’t re sell it because of this issue but yet it’s ok to leave me in the truck. How does that make sense. This is insanity that they find this acceptable

ReynierA

Reaction score
I filled my report a week ago with NHTSA. The did the same with mine for about 1 week. i bought a dash cam and im recording my daily drive now from a back passenge perspective hope that works for my defense. It happened 3 times within 5k miles so it will happen again. As soon as it happen again is going back to the dealer. Just keep all your data, calls, dealer visits, text messages, everything. It will save your butt in case that a lemon sue will happen. This truck is unsafe and not built to be drive. If you all want to communicate let me know because my lawyer is trying to have a few cases together. Best Wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online