5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
My Ram never repeated the issue but I did have the recall performed this morning. Dealer confirmed it was for the low speed stalling issue. I had them check for my mom and her Wagoneer is recalled for the same so it goes in next Friday.

voodoo93

Reaction score
Fantastic. Going to the dealer tomorrow. Happened 2x to me. Truck has under 10k miles
My dealership applied this TSB (after I brought it to their attention) - So far so good! Also, while it was in, they ran a diagnostic which indicated a code that required swap of MGU - which was also performed. Holding my breath but as I said, so far, so good.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealership applied this TSB (after I brought it to their attention) - So far so good! Also, while it was in, they ran a diagnostic which indicated a code that required swap of MGU - which was also performed. Holding my breath but as I said, so far, so good.
What is the MGU?

DubC

Reaction score
called my dealer today about this. waiting on a callback. was told they need to do some research on it, pull it up and really see what it entails. good lord. it says right on TSB what it entails. i'm boggled at why they are boggled. perhaps my expectations of a dealer service are still too high. (1" above the ground)
mine has finally gone in. they did in fact apply the TSB and do the reprogram. oddly enough the guy said that my truck met all the requirements of said TSB (which is what i told him at drop off). and now my start/stop indicator light also works. so i'm also hoping for a long term success.

side note: i told them about my brake pedal making a creaking noise. has ever since i've had the truck. they've tried to fix it once. this time they told me they fixed it be applying a 'brake moan' kit they had in stock. upon inspection of the work performed on the invoice, they applied a kit to my rear caliper support bracket. wtf. so i called and told them about it. they had me bring it back in today of which they then applied lithium grease to a pivot point of the brake pedal near 2 bushings. that may have actually fixed it. but wow...the prior 'fix' was very dealership of them.

Pierrepage79

Reaction score
I took this to the dealer: https://5thgenrams.com/community/at...220505-190114_acrobat-for-samsung-jpg.128677/ They did the TSB and a recall. No questions asked. So far only a couple hundred miles but has not shown up.
Thank you! I printed it out and will take it to my dealer. Hopefully, you don't get that problem again! Definitely sucked when it happened with my kids in the truck. It was early morning on a Sunday so there were no cars which is why I pulled on at low speed.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In for this right now. My S/S button doesn't light and I've had it stall about 5 times in the last 6 months, but they can't find anything, so I'll probably have to schedule at another dealer to get it updated. I'll print the TSB out when I schedule, instead of just leading the horse to water.

skny

Reaction score
Just had the stall happen again. Warmed up plenty, auto start/stop was off, slow right hand turn. Just made appt with my dealer for next week. Service person scheduling me refused to take down the TSB claiming “our techs get hundreds of these a week”. So what! I’m making it easier for them to diagnose and fix the damn problem! I’ll print it out and leave it on the seat when I take it in. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Todays incident almost got me creamed in traffic.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Just had the stall happen again. Warmed up plenty, auto start/stop was off, slow right hand turn. Just made appt with my dealer for next week. Service person scheduling me refused to take down the TSB claiming “our techs get hundreds of these a week”. So what! I’m making it easier for them to diagnose and fix the damn problem! I’ll print it out and leave it on the seat when I take it in. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Todays incident almost got me creamed in traffic.
Sounds like you need a new dealer. The customer is always right and even when they're not, they should feel like they were heard.

ben b

Reaction score
Hey SKNY,

Your dealer's reaction is very disappointing. Looking thru your previous posts, it seems you have reported this behavior multiple times before. The TSB reports the exact symptoms you are seeing and the fix isn't difficult. I hope your dealer is in more of a listening mood when you bring the Ram in.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After going what seems like a year or better without the actual stalling issue happening again, this past weekend it happened 2 days in a row, both just under a mile from the house after a cold start. One time was coasting and slowing down to turn left, and the other was same scenario but turning right. I had the initial flash for the pcm done when it was just identified as the light not illuminating, but I wonder if they updated anything else in the flash since now the stalling issue is mentioned as well.

I’ve learned to anticipate that it may happen and have adjusted my driving when I’m coasting to a turn by feathering the pedal and making sure it’s still running before pulling in front of anyone I wouldn’t be able to safely coast out of the way of in time. But my issue is if someone else happens to be driving, like the kid with his permit, and isn’t aware of or expecting the truck to just shut off in the middle of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cartunes25

Reaction score
This happened again for me Aug 18th, 3rd time in 1.5 yrs and 30k miles; this time the dealer is stating that Ram engineering was driving the diagnostics based on issues seen across the country. A wiring harness to the RF module, if they manipulate the harness by pinching it or moving it, causes a short or break in a wire and consequently the BUS fails and there is a shutdown. Prior to this they had to rebuild the connectors to the PCM and replace the BCM a 2nd time. Never again will I consider another RAM/Chrysler vehicle! It seems risky to buy a RAM between the years 2019 and 2022, they have a lot of quality control and design issues in this new Gen

Snekpete

Reaction score
This happened again for me Aug 18th, 3rd time in 1.5 yrs and 30k miles; this time the dealer is stating that Ram engineering was driving the diagnostics based on issues seen across the country. A wiring harness to the RF module, if they manipulate the harness by pinching it or moving it, causes a short or break in a wire and consequently the BUS fails and there is a shutdown. Prior to this they had to rebuild the connectors to the PCM and replace the BCM a 2nd time. Never again will I consider another RAM/Chrysler vehicle! It seems risky to buy a RAM between the years 2019 and 2022, they have a lot of quality control and design issues in this new Gen
Although I disagree with the risky part I believe that we are FINALLY getting closer to resolving this issue, in a large part due to your post.

if they manipulate the harness by pinching it or moving it, causes a short or break in a wire and consequently the BUS fails and there is a shutdown

This is the root cause, some bad connection in a harness, a molex connector pin or other electrical connection causes a fault, the bus fails and there is a shutdown. The problem then is to locate the intermittent fault, which can be quite difficult.

I collect pinball machines for a hobby. One that I have is a Gotlieb 1963 Slick Chick Electro Mechanical machine. It has hundreds of little mechanical switches in it. They are composed of two spring metal blades with two contacts, one on each blade and can be normally open or normally closed. After months of chasing down an intermittent lock up and point counter incrementing for no reason I finally removed the playfield from the machine, lay it on the floor and with excruciating care examined each and every switch. By sheer luck I found one normally open switch where one contact looked cattywampus. After closer examination the little contact fell out and rolled off. After replacing that switch the machine plays perfectly again.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Wife just bought a BMW X5 with the same type of mild hybrid system and behaves the same way my truck did. Has 98 miles and hasn’t stalled yet. 😆

Snekpete

Reaction score
After some more thought I've wondered why this only happens at low speed in a turn. I have pieced together a possible solution:

1) The problem is an electrical fault that triggers a shutdown on the main bus circuit. This only happens at low speed while turning.
2) The only time that the steering wheel is moved more than 60 degrees is at low speed while turning.
3) These trucks have electrically powered hydraulic steering.

Someone who's truck fairly regularly experiences this problem should try swapping out the electric powered steering, I believe that it is incorporated into the rack. We know that there is also a software update that applies to some of the power steering racks. Maybe try the software update first.

CWalker

Reaction score
This happened to my wife's 2022 Bighorn 'Night' V6 at 1260 miles. Left hand turn into a fast road that's also a blind corner. You enter the corner at the apex. Damn thing shut down. Goes in tomorrow 9-8-22 (now has 1600 miles). We'll see what they say.

Thank you all for sharing this info. I'm bringing the TSB with me and leaving it on the seat as others have done.

Mopar57

Reaction score
So for those that have had the TSB 18-091-22 applied on your 2021 RAM have you had any issues since? I have a 2021 RAM 1500 5.7 etorque and it just stalled for the first time this week. Planning to take it in to the dealer, but the dealer I bought it from claims to be booked on service appointments into November..

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got mine updated about 3? months ago, no instance noticed, but mine usually had to be "induced" by very aggressive driving. Maybe I'll try and maybe I'll remember 🤪 to report back here. My AS/S button light does work now.

Syr4RinNC

Reaction score
Happened to us today. Just driving down a main street with stop lights frequently and when stopped the engine would shut off (not the auto-stop start). Would have to turn it off and on again. Fortunately, people were patient.

2019 Laramie V8 hemi (not etorque) 40 k miles

I ran the obd2 tonight and 2 codes popped up

P1C64 "engine speed below target during autostart"
P2BA3 "starter generator mechanical performance"

I cant find anything on these codes. I am certified pre-owned for another year and half. If its recurrent I'll have to take it in.

Users who are viewing this thread