5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Update: No update

II have posted a couple of times on this thread. I am going into week 3 and no root cause has been identified. The dealership is trying to replicate the problem.

I think we may need to go with the "Part Changer" route and start changing possible problem parts until something comes up.

I think the RF module and harness should be the first part that we change since that was exposed to water due to the rear window leak.

Does everyone with this problem also have a rear window (or brake light) leak???

I think we are on our own to diagnose this problem.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck will still run it the fob isn’t detected. Not sure for how long tho.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: No update

II have posted a couple of times on this thread. I am going into week 3 and no root cause has been identified. The dealership is trying to replicate the problem.

I think we may need to go with the "Part Changer" route and start changing possible problem parts until something comes up.

I think the RF module and harness should be the first part that we change since that was exposed to water due to the rear window leak.

Does everyone with this problem also have a rear window (or brake light) leak???

I think we are on our own to diagnose this problem.

Keep track of all the failures. Best if you can record it as they occur.

Then look up your state's lemon law. Contact an attorney. THEN contact the dealer.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I noted that tsb as it was mentioned earlier. Will call a local dealer and see when we can get it in and will mention this tsb.
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! Our team would be happy to offer additional assistance while your vehicle is at the dealer! We're available via private message. Feel free to reach out!

Callie
Ram Cares

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I noted that tsb as it was mentioned earlier. Will call a local dealer and see when we can get it in and will mention this tsb.
Were you able to followup on the TSB? If so have you experienced the issue again. I have the exact same tuck as you 2021 Ram eTorque Laramie, and it stalled as I tuned into a gas station.

Reaction score
Were you able to followup on the TSB? If so have you experienced the issue again. I have the exact same tuck as you 2021 Ram eTorque Laramie, and it stalled as I tuned into a gas station.
We had the truck in recently for something else and they didn't have time to do the update they said we'd have to schedule a new appointment. We will be bringing it in in the next couple weeks to have it done and I will post an update. It has not happened again other than that one time.

biszgm

Reaction score
Interesting there is finally a recall for stalling of the E torque engines...

DubC

Reaction score
Interesting there is finally a recall for stalling of the E torque engines...

saw that! only took 10s of months for that come through. glad i got mine fixed last year.

Tony G

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to report the same issue with my 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 eTorque engine. I drove the truck to Washington DC from WV Monday morning with no problems. I filled up using 87 octane gas like last Thursday. My wife drove the truck approx 50 miles Friday on the same gas and I didn't need to fill up or top off before my trip on Monday (so probably not an issue of bad fuel IMO). Tuesday morning the truck seemed to start ok. After pulling out on the road, I noticed that the engine was running real rough. I pulled over, put the truck in park and restarted the truck. The truck restarted but less than 5 minutes later the same thing happened. This time it did cause the check engine light to come on. As I was pulling over the truck stalled and I could not get it started again. When I pressed the start button the starter seemed to run for about 10 to 15 seconds (a lot longer than it would normally take to start). I ended up running the battery down attempting to get it to restart. I had the truck towed to the closest Dodge dealership and there it sits. The dealership said that I needed a new battery so that they could read the codes (by the way, up until Tuesday morning, the battery worked fine). It's been over a day and they are still struggling to get a "diagnosis". They can't get the truck to stay started either. Fortunately we opted for lifetime extended warranty offered when we purchased the truck. But unfortunately, without a diagnosis the warranty company (CNA National Warranty) won't authorize a rental car. I've noticed on the forum that there was a recall for the 2021 5.7 eTorque for a problem that seems very similar to this one, but it doesn't apply to the 2019 models. The truck has been serviced at my local Dodge dealership and is up to date on all maintenance and recalls. Thanks to everyone else who wrote about their issues I know that I'm not alone. I definitely believe that this could be a serious safety issue, whatever the cause.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to report the same issue with my 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 eTorque engine. I drove the truck to Washington DC from WV Monday morning with no problems. I filled up using 87 octane gas like last Thursday. My wife drove the truck approx 50 miles Friday on the same gas and I didn't need to fill up or top off before my trip on Monday (so probably not an issue of bad fuel IMO). Tuesday morning the truck seemed to start ok. After pulling out on the road, I noticed that the engine was running real rough. I pulled over, put the truck in park and restarted the truck. The truck restarted but less than 5 minutes later the same thing happened. This time it did cause the check engine light to come on. As I was pulling over the truck stalled and I could not get it started again. When I pressed the start button the starter seemed to run for about 10 to 15 seconds (a lot longer than it would normally take to start). I ended up running the battery down attempting to get it to restart. I had the truck towed to the closest Dodge dealership and there it sits. The dealership said that I needed a new battery so that they could read the codes (by the way, up until Tuesday morning, the battery worked fine). It's been over a day and they are still struggling to get a "diagnosis". They can't get the truck to stay started either. Fortunately we opted for lifetime extended warranty offered when we purchased the truck. But unfortunately, without a diagnosis the warranty company (CNA National Warranty) won't authorize a rental car. I've noticed on the forum that there was a recall for the 2021 5.7 eTorque for a problem that seems very similar to this one, but it doesn't apply to the 2019 models. The truck has been serviced at my local Dodge dealership and is up to date on all maintenance and recalls. Thanks to everyone else who wrote about their issues I know that I'm not alone. I definitely believe that this could be a serious safety issue, whatever the cause.
So, the truck won't start and that means no diagnosis so your warranty company says it's not broken enough for a rental car.

I'd contact a lawyer and try them again.

Or, try them again and ask them if a lawyer is needed to ascertain if the truck isn't working.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
They can't put a battery in it for diagnostic purposes?! Or utilize a power source to simulate the new battery (i.e., a charger)?! Or even bypass the eTorque battery (if that's the battery they're speaking of) just for diagnostic purposes?! Find a new stealership - those guys suck. Unfortunately, it seems to be turning into the rule, rather than the exception.

I dread the day mine ever needs a trip to the local Ram stealership (The Awfulplex). I don't mind going there for parts, but I'll do anything I can to prevent their hack techs from laying a finger on my vehicles.

Last edited:

Theblackpearl1075

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A month ago I was driving in traffic at very low speed, pretty much bumper to bumper.

Suddenly the truck engine shuts off and the hazard lights came on by it self. I was not able to get it restarted immediately. All entertainment and lights were still working. there are no warning lights or anything. At the moment I thought it was my car sensor dirty that caused a emergency break, but it was clear and clean. After a couple of try the car restarted up and i was able to drive off.

Brought it to the dealership, they said there was no error code or anything so they are not able to help out. Called Ram Canada, wasnt able to get any help also..

Any chance anyone else has experienced this? or any other trouble shooting I can do to narrow down. This had never happened again since.

Ram 1500 Big Horn 2019 5.7
I have read a couple things about the etorque system and from what Google says, that’s the issue. The etorque system can cause the vehicle to stall without warning. I wish I had more to tell ya but just Google “problems with etorque drive”

Tony G

Reaction score
So, the truck won't start and that means no diagnosis so your warranty company says it's not broken enough for a rental car.

Or, try them again and ask them if a lawyer is needed to ascertain if the truck isn't working.
Thanks. Didn't have to go the lawyer route. Got the diagnosis last Friday so I got a rental car before the weekend. So far, they say it is the fuel pump. But with only 31k miles it has me wondering if that is all that is needed. Because of the autoworker strike parts are on backorder so no ETA on the part.

Reactions: c3k

Tony G

Reaction score
They can't put a battery in it for diagnostic purposes?! Or utilize a power source to simulate the new battery (i.e., a charger)?! Or even bypass the eTorque battery (if that's the battery they're speaking of) just for diagnostic purposes?! Find a new stealership - those guys suck. Unfortunately, it seems to be turning into the rule, rather than the exception.

I dread the day mine ever needs a trip to the local Ram stealership (The Awfulplex). I don't mind going there for parts, but I'll do anything I can to prevent their hack techs from laying a finger on my vehicles.
My thoughts on the battery exactly! Unfortunately, that is the closest dealership and I was about 2 hours away from home when I had problems. Hopefully you won't have to go through this. Up until this event, the truck has not had any issues.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat - truck has been at the dealer over 2 weeks and wouldn't start, no power to anything with any kind of battery, alarm permanently enabled. It took 2 weeks to figure out it's a bad RF hub but until they diagnosed it the dealer would not arrange for a loaner. Truck is still under factory warranty too. Also a kicker, the dealer does not give out loaners and goes through Enterprise and by "policy" any loaner has to be a Dodge product so now I have to wait for Enterprise to find one that's available. Hasn't been a very good experience, that's for sure.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - truck has been at the dealer over 2 weeks and wouldn't start, no power to anything with any kind of battery, alarm permanently enabled. It took 2 weeks to figure out it's a bad RF hub but until they diagnosed it the dealer would not arrange for a loaner. Truck is still under factory warranty too. Also a kicker, the dealer does not give out loaners and goes through Enterprise and by "policy" any loaner has to be a Dodge product so now I have to wait for Enterprise to find one that's available. Hasn't been a very good experience, that's for sure.

Name the dealer.

Also, since this is a warranty issue and dealer/customer issue, reach out to @RamCares here. They may be able to assist. I'd be asking for a bit of courtesy since the dealership seems to be a full of a**hattery.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello @Ros!

Yes, our team would like to look into this matter. Please send our team a private message to get started.

And thank you, @c3k for making our team aware.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck today with a new RF hub, reprogrammed keys and tire pressure sensors and it seems fixed. A little snafu due to a tow truck dropping off another truck that almost blocked me in but with some outside direction was able to squeeze it out. Thanks for the offer of help, but looks like I'm good for now. They did check for water intrusion and didn't find anything so I'm hoping it was just a bad hub.

I'll use one of my "glass half full" allotments for the year to chalk this up to a one time snafu due to backlogs from the auto workers strike and not let it eat at me too much. ;)

Tony G

Reaction score
Fortunately, the fuel pump was replaced. I was able to pick up the truck last Friday (1 week after they diagnosed the fuel pump). They were able to complete the fuel pump replacement Thursday, so I'm satisfied with the timing especially considering many of the parts were on backorder due to the auto worker strike. The truck seems to be running without any problems. I did ask the service rep if they have seen problems with the fuel pump at such low milage in the 2019s and he mentioned that he has seen a few. So at least right now my problem didn't seem to be connected with eTorque.

Users who are viewing this thread