5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramboy13

Reaction score
If the choice is:
A) LSD with no locker ("anti-spin" available in most trucks)
B) open differential with eLocker (part of the Off-Road Group)

Then at least for me, it's no contest. I don't want an open differential for 99% of my driving. Would much rather have the LSD.
And this is a mechanical LSD, which is different from the traction control that uses a computer to sense wheel speed and apply brake to slipping wheel.

Thanks for the side trip! Now back to talking about SHAP opening up this week, and the high end trucks finally starting to flow!

Peterhenric

Reaction score
If the choice is:
A) LSD with no locker ("anti-spin" available in most trucks)
B) open differential with eLocker (part of the Off-Road Group)

Then at least for me, it's no contest. I don't want an open differential for 99% of my driving. Would much rather have the LSD.
And this is a mechanical LSD, which is different from the traction control that uses a computer to sense wheel speed and apply brake to slipping wheel.

Thanks for the side trip! Now back to talking about SHAP opening up this week, and the high end trucks finally starting to flow!
After I had written my response I realized that the LSD I was talking about was Toyota’s “simulated LSD” where it uses the computer and brakes to control wheel spin. It was pretty much useless in off-roading conditions.

Why don’t you want an open differential for the majority of your driving? Educate me.

Foxman

Reaction score
Thanks. Let me see if I need to adjust permissions. Sorry, may need to troubleshoot this a bit. Try again now.
Made another adjustment if you want to try again. Sorry for the confusion. Don't use Google sheets that often.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
After I had written my response I realized that the LSD I was talking about was Toyota’s “simulated LSD” where it uses the computer and brakes to control wheel spin. It was pretty much useless in off-roading conditions.

Why don’t you want an open differential for the majority of your driving? Educate me.
In normal, dry pavement driving, both open and LSD will perform the same. The difference comes when there is any loss of traction. This could be as simple as a light rain on a road that's been dry for some time - something that is especially slippery for a pickup with nothing in the bed. The open diff will put power to the wheel that is spinning, which just makes the situation worse. The LSD will divert power to the wheel that is not spinning. And it's "automatic" in that you don't have to engage anything. It just works. If you happen to have one wheel drop off the pavement on a shoulder, and it might want to spin more easily than the other wheel, the LSD will divert power to the wheel on the pavement. So it's something handy to have. There are downsides, too - but personally I think they are outweighed by the benefits (again, just my personal opinion).

Peterhenric

Reaction score
@Ramboy13 thank you for the lesson. I was watching a video somewhere and they were saying that the powertrain on the 25 Rams with the HO motor specifically have the same powertrain as the TRX. I believe it has a version of all wheel drive or something similar. if that is the case, would that change your mind about wanting a limited slip versus a locking differential? I’m sure the power to the rear wheels would be the same as what you are describing, but at least you get some sort of front wheel drive as well

Peterhenric

Reaction score
Made another adjustment if you want to try again. Sorry for the confusion. Don't use Google sheets that often.
When I click the link, all it does is bring up a read only file in my web browser. It still does not give me the capability of editing anything.

Ramboy13

Reaction score
@Ramboy13 thank you for the lesson. I was watching a video somewhere and they were saying that the powertrain on the 25 Rams with the HO motor specifically have the same powertrain as the TRX. I believe it has a version of all wheel drive or something similar. if that is the case, would that change your mind about wanting a limited slip versus a locking differential? I’m sure the power to the rear wheels would be the same as what you are describing, but at least you get some sort of front wheel drive as well
That's interesting, I'll have to look into it. I thought the TRX had the locker rear-differential, and an open front differential, but it used electronic "traction control" by applying brakes as needed to simulate a limited slip on the front. I'm NOT well versed on the TRX, so I might be wrong.

I think the HO versions of the 1500 get a beefier rear axle to handle the additional torque. I also think they come standard with limited slip (but I might be wrong), with an option for the locker (which requires the Off Road Group). I didn't think any 1500 was available with anything on the front differential other than open. I would love an LSD on the front, but I don't think it's offered. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know!

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
That's interesting, I'll have to look into it. I thought the TRX had the locker rear-differential, and an open front differential, but it used electronic "traction control" by applying brakes as needed to simulate a limited slip on the front. I'm NOT well versed on the TRX, so I might be wrong.

I think the HO versions of the 1500 get a beefier rear axle to handle the additional torque. I also think they come standard with limited slip (but I might be wrong), with an option for the locker (which requires the Off Road Group). I didn't think any 1500 was available with anything on the front differential other than open. I would love an LSD on the front, but I don't think it's offered. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know!
yes, the Ho models has a different rear axle than the SO models.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
In normal, dry pavement driving, both open and LSD will perform the same. The difference comes when there is any loss of traction. This could be as simple as a light rain on a road that's been dry for some time - something that is especially slippery for a pickup with nothing in the bed. The open diff will put power to the wheel that is spinning, which just makes the situation worse. The LSD will divert power to the wheel that is not spinning. And it's "automatic" in that you don't have to engage anything. It just works. If you happen to have one wheel drop off the pavement on a shoulder, and it might want to spin more easily than the other wheel, the LSD will divert power to the wheel on the pavement. So it's something handy to have. There are downsides, too - but personally I think they are outweighed by the benefits (again, just my personal opinion).
The loss of traction is a thing, even with dry pavement. Pickup beds have literally no weight in them, and even under normal circumstances the wheels are rotating faster than the truck is moving on take off. I've seen open diff trucks come in on trade with 10k miles, where the right tire is bald and the rest are over 50% (yes that's why rotating is important, but just illustrating the point). In traction limited situations (AKA winter), you are driving a 2wd truck still, as you have 1 rear wheel powered and 1 front wheel powered.

Funny enough, open diffs can actually be safer for inexperienced drivers than a locker, due to how the back end "steps out" when both wheels are locked and driving with equal amounts of power. Pretty hard to get an open diff vehicle to fishtail.

jhoffman63

Reaction score
Hello John Hoffman,

Thank you so much for your patience while we worked to resolve the concerns. We have received the following confirmation.

new update

At the present time, your vehicle has been scheduled for production. Time in this stage varies based on your particular vehicle configuration. Once your vehicle has started production, you will see movement on the tracker! The estimated build date for the vehicle is 08/05/2024. Kindly be advised that this is a rough estimate and may be subject to change.

I will continue to monitor your order for additional delivery updates, and I will reach out in the next 14 business days to provide an update if one is available. I wanted to let you know that your order has our attention & priority, and we should begin receiving updates pertaining to your order soon.

If you have any outstanding questions or order update inquiries, we do encourage you to reach out to your ordering dealership for the fastest response possible. Additional email communications provided to this email are un-monitored and will be responded to once additional updates are available to share.

Thank you for your loyalty and we’re proud to have you as a member of the Ram Family!

Sincerely,
Rohini
Ram Information Center

TroyJonesSF

Reaction score
Hello John Hoffman,

Thank you so much for your patience while we worked to resolve the concerns. We have received the following confirmation.

new update

At the present time, your vehicle has been scheduled for production. Time in this stage varies based on your particular vehicle configuration. Once your vehicle has started production, you will see movement on the tracker! The estimated build date for the vehicle is 08/05/2024. Kindly be advised that this is a rough estimate and may be subject to change.

I will continue to monitor your order for additional delivery updates, and I will reach out in the next 14 business days to provide an update if one is available. I wanted to let you know that your order has our attention & priority, and we should begin receiving updates pertaining to your order soon.

If you have any outstanding questions or order update inquiries, we do encourage you to reach out to your ordering dealership for the fastest response possible. Additional email communications provided to this email are un-monitored and will be responded to once additional updates are available to share.

Thank you for your loyalty and we’re proud to have you as a member of the Ram Family!

Sincerely,
Rohini
Ram Information Center
John, which vehicle did you order? What equipment group?

PetePA

Reaction score
Ok, so back to the order update topic...lol.

Just got off a chat with Ram. First thing that was ridiculous is the amount of time it took them to check simple things. I was on the chat for 12 minutes just to get a status update on my order - specifically to check on the estimated ship date.

Adrian (name in the chat) told me that my truck was IN PRODUCTION. I spoke with my dealer last week and he stated that it was still in D1 status. Considering the plant is closed, I find this hard to believe. Maybe it's true - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Adrian also told me that the vehicle's estimated arrival date at the dealership was 8/10. I asked him to clarify this, and he then stated that he meant the estimated SHIP date is 8/10.

I tried to copy/paste the chat once it concluded to post here, but the chat closed before I could do it!

I've recently communicated with the Google Store via chat and it was MUCH quicker and they were much more informed.

Overall, I'd probably give Ram chat a C+ and Google an A (just for reference).

dammitbobby

Reaction score

Unless they changed it I have a limited ordered with the rear locker and no off road group.

Users who are viewing this thread