5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

2021dodger4m

Reaction score
Where does the cellular antenna (shark fin) cable go on the uc5? That’s the only thing I could not figure out in this swap. I left it unplugged.

mike7050

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn that came with a 5" I believe U-Connect 3, and I upgraded to a U-Connect 5 8.4" screen with an infotainment adapter harness. Everything works great except for the phone buttons, VR (voice recognition) and the answer/ hangup buttons on the steering wheel. I also added a steering wheel with radio buttons on the back, and they don't work either. An OBD2 scanner shows the body control module recognizes when I push them, but the radio doesn't recognize the buttons being pushed at all. I am wondering if I need some kind of programming to make the buttons work. If anyone has any knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate your help... TIA!

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Is the GPS connector white?

Boatman22

Reaction score

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Can anybody that has done this swap without the surround view cameras tell me if changing the model year to 2022 with AlfaOBD is needed?

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
Can anybody that has done this swap without the surround view cameras tell me if changing the model year to 2022 with AlfaOBD is needed?
I did the UConnect 5 12" upgrade in my 2019 1500 DT Bighorn with standard backup camera (Not surround view)
Parts came from Ebay out of a late 22 production year. I did not have to change my model year to 2022 in Alpha. Just had change integrated center stack to NO, DCDS display to YES and since I had Manual Temp Control Single zone, I had to change to Dual and add the Auto Temp Harness, Sun Load sensor, and Cabin Air Temp sensor.
Everything worked immediately except SXM since my truck was originally equipped with the Uconnect 3 5" non SXM therefore I also did not have the SXM antenna. A week later I added that and then went to the SXM website, got the "Free 3 month trial subscription and did a signal refresh" and that also worked after a soft reset.
As a side note I also did the 7" premium EVIC upgrade at the same time. And only things that dont seem to work out of everything was programming lifetime engine and idle hours, as well as turn by turn navigation on the evic and it appears that my steering wheel Answer call and end call buttons. But I am fairly confident that none of those things have to do with changing model year with Alpha.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I did the UConnect 5 12" upgrade in my 2019 1500 DT Bighorn with standard backup camera (Not surround view)
Parts came from Ebay out of a late 22 production year. I did not have to change my model year to 2022 in Alpha. Just had change integrated center stack to NO, DCDS display to YES and since I had Manual Temp Control Single zone, I had to change to Dual and add the Auto Temp Harness, Sun Load sensor, and Cabin Air Temp sensor.
Everything worked immediately except SXM since my truck was originally equipped with the Uconnect 3 5" non SXM therefore I also did not have the SXM antenna. A week later I added that and then went to the SXM website, got the "Free 3 month trial subscription and did a signal refresh" and that also worked after a soft reset.
As a side note I also did the 7" premium EVIC upgrade at the same time. And only things that dont seem to work out of everything was programming lifetime engine and idle hours, as well as turn by turn navigation on the evic and it appears that my steering wheel Answer call and end call buttons. But I am fairly confident that none of those things have to do with changing model year with Alpha.
thanks for the reply. Great to know that I don't have to make that change. Was the sirius antenna the one I have circled below?

1706189775113.png

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
Yes. And funny enough I got that exact harness kit from ebay and it worked perfectly fine. And then you will either need to buy the factory Mopar SXM Shark Fin Antenna part number 68475114AA and take the dual fakra connector apart to switch the location of the black and curry cables (Curry on antenna connector needs to be swapped to the location of the connector that has the locking tab. This is only on the cables coming out of the antenna) or purchase something like this 2019-2024 RAM 1500 DT NEW Bodystyle Sirius/xm Satellite OEM Mopar Antenna Mopar | eBay which already has this modification done. Or buy a fakra splitter/Y adapter to plug in in place of the cable you circled and then connect your factor sharkfin cable to one port and a cheap ebay/amazon SXM antenna to the other. But I dont know how well that will work or if it will cause any interference which is why I went with the factory shark fin antenna.

Also if you go the ebay antenna kit route that I linked. You wont need the extra fakra cable that is included because one is already included in the Uconnect 4 to Uconnect 5 upgrade harness that you linked the picture for.

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
Also, To add to this. Forum member Jimmy07 can make and supply you with the conversion harness kit to do the upgrade. I messaged him about it and he was very quick to reply. The only reason I went with the ebay harness route was that I noticed the seller listed the his location as the same city as I live in and so I messaged him and he agreed to allow me to come pick it up locally and pay for it in person. I usually never buy anything wiring or harness related from ebay unless its factory new in OEM packaging because I know first hand how badly butchered used or aftermarket harnesses can be. But since he was local I was able to go and inspect the harness kit for any bad crimps on the terminals, any bent pins, any problems with the connector housing molds. So just keep that in mind.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Also, To add to this. Forum member Jimmy07 can make and supply you with the conversion harness kit to do the upgrade. I messaged him about it and he was very quick to reply. The only reason I went with the ebay harness route was that I noticed the seller listed the his location as the same city as I live in and so I messaged him and he agreed to allow me to come pick it up locally and pay for it in person. I usually never buy anything wiring or harness related from ebay unless its factory new in OEM packaging because I know first hand how badly butchered used or aftermarket harnesses can be. But since he was local I was able to go and inspect the harness kit for any bad crimps on the terminals, any bent pins, any problems with the connector housing molds. So just keep that in mind.
Actually I got my conversion kit from Jimmy07. Just have that picture for install purposes.

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
Perfect! Then if you already have your upgraded module, screen, bezel you should be good to go, total install for me was about 2 hours, but that was because I did the EVIC upgrade at the same time.
The radio upgrade seriously took only about 20-30 minutes and maybe another 5 minutes for making the changes in alpha!

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Yes. And funny enough I got that exact harness kit from ebay and it worked perfectly fine. And then you will either need to buy the factory Mopar SXM Shark Fin Antenna part number 68475114AA and take the dual fakra connector apart to switch the location of the black and curry cables (Curry on antenna connector needs to be swapped to the location of the connector that has the locking tab. This is only on the cables coming out of the antenna) or purchase something like this 2019-2024 RAM 1500 DT NEW Bodystyle Sirius/xm Satellite OEM Mopar Antenna Mopar | eBay which already has this modification done. Or buy a fakra splitter/Y adapter to plug in in place of the cable you circled and then connect your factor sharkfin cable to one port and a cheap ebay/amazon SXM antenna to the other. But I dont know how well that will work or if it will cause any interference which is why I went with the factory shark fin antenna.

Also if you go the ebay antenna kit route that I linked. You wont need the extra fakra cable that is included because one is already included in the Uconnect 4 to Uconnect 5 upgrade harness that you linked the picture for.
luckily I'm doing a 12" UC4 to 12" UC5 swap so I already have the antenna, but this is great info for someone else that doesn't.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
posting this just as a good visual aid for anybody else. From what I have been told you don't connect the antenna wi-fi or the antenna BT to the UC5 radio so if anybody purchases the ebay kit that adapter doesn't get used. Jimm07 doesn't even supply that adapter.

1706192615092.png

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
You are correct. No need to connect either the Wifi or BT antenna. Both still work fine in the truck. I did have to do a hard reset on my radio to get wifi working. Not that wifi matters as I think its only used for OTA software updates which as noted earlier in this thread wont work anyway.

Cnyncrvr

Reaction score
Tap the vehicle tab, then settings, scroll all the way down till you see reset then tap on that. Then at the bottom tap on "Factory Reset"
This will delete all of your radio station and SXM presets, All paired devices, All driver profiles and restore the radio back to factory.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I got this done today. The radio I got was from a 2023 ram and I had to change the vehicle year to 2023 with AlfaOBD for my backup camera to work. Before doing that there were no setting or soft buttons on the screen for the camera and when I put it in reverse it did nothing on the screen.

I bought my conversion harnesses from Jimmy07 and of course my connector for the hvac controls was black and not gray so I had to grind down the keyway on the plug

IMG_6091.jpeg

Last edited:

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Teh workaround is to call SiriusXM and tell them that you have replaced your radio. You need to give them the radio ID Number so they can match it to your VIN. They will send you activation signal to set up your radio.
can you tell me where to get the radio ID number for sirius? I just did the swap and couldn’t find that.

Users who are viewing this thread