5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A fair point, and I'm not trying to establish myself as any kind of an expert on automotive electronics (unlike some others, possibly).

Replacement parts for specific model runs vs. new component compatibility with older vehicles is not a very good argument. Remember when they made a subtle facelift change to the Rams in 2013? The front bumpers, grilles, and some bracketry from the 2013-2018s don't fit the 2009-2012s, after all. This UConnect upgrade sounds like a subtle change as well, but with Ram saying the UConnect 5 software won't be compatible with earlier vehicles, who honestly thinks it stops at just the software package?

The point of the term business model is valid, albeit not as a major factor... as you pointed out... but it's all about money at the end of the day. Ram would lose a number of new vehicle sales if they offered new features to be backward compatible to older vehicles - why buy a new truck with UConnect 5 if you can simply get a new stereo and swap it out? Along those same lines, there are lots of vehicles sold simply because buyers want new features. With word of a major redesign coming, it's fair to say they'd rather people buy a whole new truck than be able to swap out new components for old. Most people aren't skilled enough to replace such things, and making them as complicated as possible to do so (hint: "proprietary") is in their best interest... and they've done it before: anybody remember the Infinity systems in the '90s/'2000s, with their embedded amplifiers and 2ohm impedance? Pretty much had to replace the entire audio system to get better sound with aftermarket components... all the way through to the wires and speakers (been there, done that). Then the lowest bidder comes along for the next model design and suddenly you're dealing with Alpine or Harmon Kardon (for instance) - those are definitely financially motivated decisions.

Anybody heard any news about FCA opening a new backward compatible audio division? Me neither.
Your business model argument doesn’t hold water. Otherwise, you could apply that same logic to any other factory upgrade that they would claim can’t be done after the fact, like adding adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, passive entry, etc, which has all been done. Why would that be possible if, as you say, they would lose money on people buying lower trim models and adding all the upgrade features themselves. If you ask a Ram engineer, they’ll tell you that nothing can be added after the fact, unless it’s a mopar kit they offer, like remote start, bed lights, or power steps. But pretty much every feature on every FCA vehicle has been figured out how to add after the fact.
Speaking of backwards compatibility, would you think it’s possible to get blind spot monitoring, 12” radio, and surround view system working 100% like factory on a 2017 4th gen, features that didn’t even exist for Rams until the 5th gens? As far as this radio swap, the radio doesn’t control “as much of the truck” as most people would think. I won’t go into detail on why I believe it’s going to work, but let’s just say I’ve had this planned and figured months before ram announced they were going UC5. Other than that- about 2 months out on the radio module I ordered, and we shall see.

g00fy

Reaction score
So this morning I got almost everything working, satellite radio is on hold because the UC5 satellite fakra connector is keyed differently than the UC4 and for whatever reason the satellite antenna is the only fakra cable in the truck that you can't change the connector end.

Also for some reason the UC5 is completely ignoring the CVPM, so none of the cameras work, and none of the controls for them show up. I'm hoping maybe upgrading to the version D software will help with this but I'm not very confident in that.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks much easier to read . Wish I could tell what the difference in the display is. It seems to be identical. The only change is the pin out on the module, and using different fakra plugs
Button mapping is different. UC4 screen is unresponsive with UC5 radio module.
LVDS cable is also different, and so is the USB cable.

Marine6212

Reaction score
Hope this helps in fixing it.

Do you know how I can solve it?
V8-5.7L

Radio - GPS Antenna - Circuit Open

RADIO - GPS ANTENNA - CIRCUIT OPEN

B1562-13-GPS ANTENNA - CIRCUIT OPEN

Special Tools
9977-6-GPS-GLO - Antenna, GPS GLONASS
na-cr-GUID-28-000-000-3658784_svg

9977-6-1 - Adapter
na-cr-GUID-28-000-000-3658776_svg

9977-6-3 - Adapter
na-cr-GUID-28-000-000-3658765_svg

9977-6-4 - Jumper
na-cr-GUID-28-000-000-3658781_svg

9977-6-2 - Jumper
na-cr-GUID-28-000-000-3379370_svg

9977-6 - Kit, Radio Antenna Diagnostic

• When Monitored:
    With the ignition on and the Radio in navigation mode.
  • Set Condition:
    This DTC sets when the Radio does not detect a Global Positioning System (GPS) Antenna connection for greater than 60 seconds.

Possible Causes

BAD ANTENNA CONNECTION
OPEN GPS ANTENNA CABLE
OPEN GPS RADIO ANTENNA
RADIO

1. CHECK THE ANTENNA CONNECTION

1. Turn the ignition off.
  1. Disconnect the Antenna connector at the back of the Radio.
  1. Inspect the Antenna connections.

Are the Antenna connections clean and secure?

Yes

• Go To 2

No

2. CHECK THE ANTENNA AND CABLE

1. Connect the test antenna Antenna, GPS GLONASS 9977-6-GPS-GLO to the antenna connection on the back of the Radio.
  1. Make sure one of the front doors is still open.
  1. Using the scan tool, erase the DTCs.
  1. Turn the ignition on.
  1. Turn the Radio on.
  1. Using the scan tool, read the active Radio DTCs.

NOTE: While using the GPS test antenna the Satellite radio reception will not be available and Satellite radio faults may occur. The GPS test tool will only enable GPS reception to work. For Satellite Radio reception concerns use test antenna 9977-6-SAT

Does the scan tool read: B1562–13–GPS ANTENNA-CIRCUIT OPEN as active?

Yes

No
  • Go To 3

3. TEST THE ANTENNA CABLE

1. Disconnect the Antenna cable at the base.
  1. Connect the appropriate Adapter 9977-6-1 or Adapter 9977-6-3 to the Antenna cable at the back of the Radio.
  1. Connect the appropriate Jumper 9977-6-4 or Jumper 9977-6-2 to the Antenna cable at the Antenna base.
  1. Measure the Resistance across the tool terminals.

Is the resistance above 52.5 Ohms?

Yes

No

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
From what I understand Uconnect 5 will not work on the old systems since its Droid based or something to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Plenty of threads on this. Do a search

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like others said, you won't be able to software upgrade to the new system. But I don't see why you can't replace the components to make it work. You can put the 12" screen into older 4th gen trucks so I'm sure we will figure out how to put the new one in when we are able to buy the parts.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.
What about 2021 radio module not working on 2019-2020 trucks? Isn't it a sign that the new UC5 modules are not going to work on older trucks?
2019 and 2021(or 2022) BCM's are different... maybe we won't be able to upgrade at all...
Well, hopefully your tests will prove otherwise..

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Some issues that might turn people off/away from swapping to the UC 5 system are:

1. You will lose OTA updates.
2. Ram Connect app won’t work. (Changed from Guardian app in MY2022). By APP I mean remote start/stop, send and go nav, find my vehicle and security features people like to pay outlandish prices for.
3. May( I say May) have issues with SOS service buttons.(edited)
4. May have other modules (hvac for one possibly) that have to be changed.
5. May have to go to dealer to PROXI the BCM for all available features on the radio to work. This won’t fix #1 and #2 above. May or may not be able to use AlfaOBD or OBDLink to also do this. (Edited) From reply below: 5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.

I say all this because in looking to upgrade my wife’s 2017 Cherokee 8.4 nav unit to a newer 2018/19 MY 8.4C radio with CarPlay/AA, these are the issues they’ve run into. The 1st 2 items because the newer radios can’t be Registered to an older MY vehicle VIN that wasn’t built with the newer radios. They’ve been trying for over 3 years now trying to get the OTA to work on 2014-2018MY Jeeps with no success. I’m sure it’s across the board on all FCA vehicles just only read about the GC/Cherokees.

(Edited)
Just to clarify, I am in no way saying the upgrade/swap won’t work as it will work thanks to the SMART people on this forum with the time and knowledge to make it work. I am just pointing out what will be most likely be lost or “might” have to be done to complete it. Hopefully this post will forewarn and prevent people from asking the same questions over and over about OTAs and will the APP work or why the APP doesn't work.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some issues that might turn people off/away from swapping to the UC 5 system are:

1. Most likely will lose OTA updates.
2. Ram Connect app won’t work. (Changed from Guardian app in MY2022)
3. May( I say May) have issues with cellular service.
4. May have other modules (hvac for one possibly) that have to be changed.
5. May have to go to dealer to PROXI the BCM for all available features on the radio to work. This won’t fix #1 and #2 above. May or may not be able to use AlfaOBD or OBDLink to also do this.

I say all this because in looking to upgrade my wife’s 2017 Cherokee 8.4 nav unit to a newer 2018/19 MY 8.4C radio with CarPlay/AA, these are the issues they’ve run into. The 1st 2 items because the newer radios can’t be Registered to a older MY vehicle VIN that wasn’t built with the newer radios. They’ve been trying for over 3 years now trying to get the OTA to work on 2014-2018MY Jeeps with no success. I’m sure it’s across the board on all FCA vehicles just only read about the GC/Cherokees.
1- correct, but this is already common knowledge. There are other means to get the updates.
2- correct, this is common knowledge also, and I don’t think people that would be doing the swap care about that.
3- Cell service? As in, the WiFi hotspot? That still works. I have the hotspot working on the 12” radio that’s transplanted into my 2017.
4- no other modules will need to be changed on a 2019+ ram
5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.
I think this swap will work no problem. I’m just waiting on a radio module that’s 3 months backordered.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
1- correct, but this is already common knowledge. There are other means to get the updates.
2- correct, this is common knowledge also, and I don’t think people that would be doing the swap care about that.
3- Cell service? As in, the WiFi hotspot? That still works. I have the hotspot working on the 12” radio that’s transplanted into my 2017.
4- no other modules will need to be changed on a 2019+ ram
5- no PROXI alignment necessary for ram trucks. They use a powernet configuration, not proxi configuration. AlfaOBD definitely works on ram trucks, and will be necessary for this swap.
I think this swap will work no problem. I’m just waiting on a radio module that’s 3 months backordered.

Just pointing it out to those that want to try this and haven’t researched an upgrade like this. To those that have done this type upgrade in the past it IS common knowledge but NOT to others.

1&2 yes it is but see paragraph above. It wasn’t to me until I started researching.

For #4 there’s no way to know 100% until it’s done. For examples the 2014 Grand Cherokee has to replace the HVAC module for their heated seats/steering wheel to work properly. The 2014-18 Cherokees have to replace their HVAC module for the radio upgrade. I assume for the same reason. So I’m just saying it’s a possibility until you’ve attempted this.

Do you have heated/ventilated seats/steering wheel in your ‘17? Did you have to change any modules for them to work(through the radio screen) if so?

For #3 I believe I read a few times in the 1450+ threads under 1 post in the Jeep forum that the SOS/assistance buttons overhead didn’t work either. I could be wrong though. Does yours(if you have them) work? For me and my opinion it’s not a big deal with everyone having cell phones.

I never said it wouldn’t work. I’m just pointing out some possible issues for people to be aware of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just pointing it out to those that want to try this and haven’t researched an upgrade like this. To those that have done this type upgrade in the past it IS common knowledge but NOT to others.

1&2 yes it is but see paragraph above. It wasn’t to me until I started researching.

For #4 there’s no way to know 100% until it’s done. For examples the 2014 Grand Cherokee has to replace the HVAC module for their heated seats/steering wheel to work properly. The 2014-18 Cherokees have to replace their HVAC module for the radio upgrade. I assume for the same reason. So I’m just saying it’s a possibility until you’ve attempted this.

Do you have heated/ventilated seats/steering wheel in your ‘17? Did you have to change any modules for them to work(through the radio screen) if so?

For #3 I believe I read a few times in the 1450+ threads under 1 post in the Jeep forum that the SOS/assistance buttons overhead didn’t work either. I could be wrong though. Does yours(if you have them) work? For me and my opinion it’s not a big deal with everyone having cell phones.

I never said it wouldn’t work. I’m just pointing out some possible issues for people to be aware of.

Jimmy07 is a master at this and knows more about these trucks and systems than most. He's done a ton of upgrades and has helped a lot of us add higher trim stuff to our trucks. I only say this because you may not know who he is.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Jimmy07 is a master at this and knows more about these trucks and systems than most. He's done a ton of upgrades and has helped a lot of us add higher trim stuff to our trucks. I only say this because you may not know who he is.

Nope don’t know who he is but from reading the thread I know he knows what he’s doing. However, like myself, someone wanting to do this and never done it before, these are some of the things I wished were on page 1 or 2 of a thread instead of page 30-something out of 75.

Not that it won’t prevent people that refuse to read/search, asking the same questions or crying/complaining over and over about these known/possible issues. But at least they’ll be posted and replied to early.

Users who are viewing this thread