5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Experience Feedback

Select all statements below that best describe your experience with the Uconnect system:

• My dealer walked me through the functions and features

• My dealer did not walk me through the functions and features

• I use resources such as DriveUconnect.com, social sites, and the owner’s manual to better understand

• I am confident in using Uconnect

• The Uconnect system is still unfamiliar to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I mean, how much do you change SXM channels that 12 isn't enough? I couldn't even fill up all 12 with different channels I would listen to, so the last 5 are just repeats of other channels. And I only really listen to my first three saved channels.
You can add pandora stations/favorite artists(groups)to the presets also if you have any. You can also turn on alerts for artists/groups and when they play on a favorite(I think) and definitely a preset it will alert you. Not sure if it alerts you if they play on just any channel.y
If you set a Favorite in SXM it will alert you if it plays on any channel. The drawback is that you can only identify/set Favorites while they are playing. You can't look them up so you have to wait until you come across it playing on a station then you can add it to your Favorites (by song or artist).

The presets are just channels that you set and are in a convenient location in a bar across the top of your screen.

I'm old school so I do not do any streaming services while I drive. It's either radio, SXM, or my thumb drive. SXM channels never change no matter where I drive, and I have SXM and my thumb drive long after cell service ends when I'm off-roading.
You can also put the pandora stations; I.e. Bob Segar(sp?), Boston into the presets when they’re playing.

rconiv

Reaction score
I would like the maps to update, and for it to not have so many issues with my Ipod. It will either lose the connection, or just refuse to talk to it, and have to unplug and plug it back in to the USB. When it does this, it usually resets the play list back to song 2 of whatever I have on it, so I hear a lot of the same songs over and over again.

Wonder if GPS is considered an essential thing yet, and since they haven't updated the map in 4 years, the company can be sued for creating a life threatening scenario.

Fespy

Reaction score
Really disappointed in UConnect for 2020 model and think they are crazy if RAM thinks they will get $0.01 more from me to keep it after the trial year if it stays in current form. I only needed a trial week to decide.

My wife's 2020 Pacifica 8.4" Uconnect is so much better it's embarrassing.

1) Make the app information it at least as useful as the 8.4" version.
2) Make the basic functions of the app free or at least reasonable (remote start, lock, unlock and update maps). You might have a chance at someone actually using it long term. Waze and Google maps are updated frequently and are free.
3) Full screen use for Apple CarPlay

tgwill

Reaction score
I'm absolutely regretting spending the extra on the 12" display. Especially when Stellantis/FCA announced a brand new system that does more literally a month after purchase. Already making an expensive system obsolete.

Frequent updates with content improvements and feature enhancements would be very welcome. Much like Tesla does. The SiriusXM TravelLink app is slow and not very useful. Using the uConnect App is painfully slow. Unlocking takes up to 5 minutes. I will not be paying for the service past the 1 year trial period.

Limited2021

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 limited just over a week and can say that I will not be subscribing to the services again after my free trial. I am so glad that I did get a free trial first. I can not see pay for something that is free from so many other companies. I love the truck so far and it way nicer than my Chevy was except this part right here. Unconnect app should be free to use for basic features like remote start and locking doors. Most of the other features work ok other than a navigation maps are not always right.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 limited just over a week and can say that I will not be subscribing to the services again after my free trial. I am so glad that I did get a free trial first. I can not see pay for something that is free from so many other companies. I love the truck so far and it way nicer than my Chevy was except this part right here. Unconnect app should be free to use for basic features like remote start and locking doors. Most of the other features work ok other than a navigation maps are not always right.
The one thing you’ll learn is Uconnect support and @RamCares does not listen to their customers when it comes to what “we the consumers” want. I guarantee most if not all of them drive other models of cars with the free apps. Thus their reasoning for not caring. The sad part is some of Ram and other FCA customers pay the stupidly exorbitant prices for the use of remote start because they just don’t care about their money. Since Ford(now) and hopefully GM(soon) will have competing interiors and systems; I’ll most likely switch to their competitors just for that reason. Love my Ram and it’s my first full size truck but I refuse to pay over $250 annually for remote start and someone to sit in an office to tell me they can’t help me or don’t know what happened to my truck if stolen.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Even though the trial periods have gone down they are still some of the longest in the segment. Unfortunately they are marginal at best and are not worth much outside the free trial in a general sense. My wife's Ranger comes with their version of Guardian XM for free for the life of the vehicle.

The uConnect interface is my favorite of the ones I've played with. My wife has Sync in her Ranger and I cannot stand it. The only thing that's better is that she has 18 SXM presets where I only have 12.

uConnect is not to be confused with SXM features. They all suck.

SXM - for $5/month (Select package) I can take having SXM even with all the DJ babble and commercials. SXM connectivity lasts a lot longer than my cell coverage and not having to scan channels as I travel is worth $60/year.

Guardian (requires NAV unit) - a novel application at best. Provided for free from most other auto makers and not much more than a "cool toy" unless you live through freezing winters and can't park close enough to remote start from your fob (if you have that function). Also, you have to have the NAV unit to get this. My wife's Ranger does not have NAV but has this feature (and for free!).

Travel Link (requires NAV unit) - not my cup of tea. I don't need to check bank accounts, buy movie tickets, or find the nearest Starbucks on a whim while I'm driving. Others that are more tech savvy or are heavy into multiple devices and social media (I only have a cell phone and no social media accounts) might find it useful but there's nothing available on there that is more convenient than what my iPhone can do.

Traffic Plus (requires NAV unit) - useful if I actually use my NAV. I won't keep it past the trial (which is 5 years) as that is provided free on my Google and Apple maps.

Throw in that many of these features are disabled when the car is moving and there's little chance I'll pay for anything past it's free trial (except SXM...just a lower package). I'm not referring to me operating stuff while driving but my wife can't do anything either on the screen. She can, however, use her phone while I'm driving so why pay for stuff that her phone can do (and I already pay for)?

Last edited:

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
8.4, non nav, Alpine, do not use Ucon app, do not like/use Android auto, let the SXM expire because it sucks. Absolutely no issues, BT functions 100% with all functions.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All these people saying other manufacturers offer it for free, most even mention Chevy/GM. My wife got a brand new 2020 traverse a month before I got me new Ram. We traded in her 2017 traverse that had the GM version of guardian free for life of vehicle. Her 2020 only came with a three month free trial of that and SiriusXM, then she had to pay for it to keep it. At least I got a year free on my Ram. The GM app did work better, as in, how quickly it responded to requests to lock/unlock or remote start. Was almost instant, as opposed to the 30+ seconds with uconnect.

Limited2021

Reaction score
I agree. Even though the trial periods have gone down they are still some of the longest in the segment. Unfortunately they are marginal at best and are not worth much outside the free trial in a general sense. My wife's Ranger comes with their version of Guardian XM for free for the life of the vehicle.

The uConnect interface is my favorite of the ones I've played with. My wife has Sync in her Ranger and I cannot stand it. The only thing that's better is that she has 18 SXM presets where I only have 12.

SXM - for $5/month (Select package) I can take having SXM even with all the DJ babble and commercials. SXM connectivity lasts a lot longer than my cell coverage and not having to scan channels as I travel is worth $60/year.

Guardian - a novel application at best. Provided for free from most other auto makers and not much more than a "cool toy" unless you live through freezing winters and can't park close enough to remote start from your fob (if you have that function).

Travel Link - not my cup of tea. I don't need to check bank accounts, buy movie tickets, or find the nearest Starbucks on a whim while I'm driving. Others that are more tech savvy or are heavy into multiple devices and social media (I only have a cell phone and no social media accounts) might find it useful but there's nothing available on there that is more convenient than what my iPhone can do.

Traffic Plus - useful if I actually use my NAV. I won't keep it past the trial (which is 5 years) as that is provided free on my Google and Apple maps.

Throw in that many of these features are disabled when the car is moving and there's little chance I'll pay for anything past it's free trial (except SXM...just a lower package). I'm not referring to me operating stuff while driving but my wife can't do anything either on the screen. She can, however, use her phone while I'm driving so why pay for stuff that her phone can do (and I already pay for)?
Very well said!

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

Guardian (requires NAV unit) - a novel application at best. Provided for free from most other auto makers and not much more than a "cool toy" unless you live through freezing winters and can't park close enough to remote start from your fob (if you have that function). Also, you have to have the NAV unit to get this. My wife's Ranger does not have NAV but has this feature (and for free!).

Travel Link (requires NAV unit) - not my cup of tea. I don't need to check bank accounts, buy movie tickets, or find the nearest Starbucks on a whim while I'm driving. Others that are more tech savvy or are heavy into multiple devices and social media (I only have a cell phone and no social media accounts) might find it useful but there's nothing available on there that is more convenient than what my iPhone can do.

Traffic Plus (requires NAV unit) - useful if I actually use my NAV. I won't keep it past the trial (which is 5 years) as that is provided free on my Google and Apple maps.

Well said. The only thing the guardian or Uconnect app is good for is the remote start & lock unlock (if needed). My understanding is Ford still gives that for free for the life of the vehicle. I could be wrong. The great thing about the remote start(when to far for FOB to work) is pre heating/cooling when needed. But I refuse to pay $250 plus a year for that feature. I’m not that LAZY as those that think they can’t live with out it.

@RamCares has this survey but yet to respond to anything. If they did it would be a canned “thanks for your feedback, now we’re just going to ignore it all. Enjoy your outdated maps and useless app”. If a Uconnect representative was seeing this they’d also ignore it and do nothing.

Again well said.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said. The only thing the guardian or Uconnect app is good for is the remote start & lock unlock (if needed). My understanding is Ford still gives that for free for the life of the vehicle. I could be wrong. The great thing about the remote start(when to far for FOB to work) is pre heating/cooling when needed. But I refuse to pay $250 plus a year for that feature. I’m not that LAZY as those that think they can’t live with out it.

@RamCares has this survey but yet to respond to anything. If they did it would be a canned “thanks for your feedback, now we’re just going to ignore it all. Enjoy your outdated maps and useless app”. If a Uconnect representative was seeing this they’d also ignore it and do nothing.

Again well said.
Don't forget "there's an update coming out by the end of this quarter". :ROFLMAO: :cautious:

Gitter

Reaction score

Again well said.
I don't think this poll was ever created to hear about our thoughts, experiences, and desires with the uConnect system. It's really only asking how we learned how to use the system.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think this poll was ever created to hear about our thoughts, experiences, and desires with the uConnect system. It's really only asking how we learned how to use the system.
Ram Nation: We are always striving to improve your ownership experience. Today, we are interested in hearing about your comfort level with the Uconnect system & connected services in your Ram truck. Please take our quick poll (approx. 30 sec.) and leave any additional comments below.

Useful Links-
DriveUconnect.com
Get your Owner's Manual
While the poll asks how we learned about it (did the dealership teach you anything before you drove away?) they also asked about our "comfort level" and for "additional comments". That's what spurned most of these 4 pages.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
It was a barely usable when I had it as a trial, but I don't miss it. Sorry, it is nowhere near worth the $460 CAD for a full package. Especially based on how often I'd use it. Plus, as a Canadian I have a sneaky suspicion that there are features/functions that are missing as well.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine less than that since the last OTA update. I would say 1 out of every 4 or 5 times I start the truck my SXM favorites work. :mad:

clownsamaka

Reaction score
Why does the 12" display have less functionality with uconnect than the 8.4" display? Love my 12", but no reason why we can't get vehicle health options like the 8.4 trucks. Takes way too long for selections through the app to get to the truck and work, if they ever work. No indication that the truck received the remote start or lock/unlock commands. Location option takes way too long to find the truck, and seems about half the time it just times out, or just reports the previous position.

My salesman have me a quick and dirty walkthrough. Mostly just getting my phone connected. Fairly teach savvy so was able to figure out most things on my own, and from reading owners manual. I will not be paying for the service after my year free trial is up. Especially Sirius Guardian as the weather radar has never worked in my truck
Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread