5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Experience Feedback

Select all statements below that best describe your experience with the Uconnect system:

• My dealer walked me through the functions and features

• My dealer did not walk me through the functions and features

• I use resources such as DriveUconnect.com, social sites, and the owner’s manual to better understand

• I am confident in using Uconnect

• The Uconnect system is still unfamiliar to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The weather radar takes around 10 or so minutes it seems to load but it does work.
Not on my truck. Let it run for an entire 30 minute drive and other than random flashes in different grids on the map, the radar never worked.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's only so much resources available with uConnect 4 and I don't think the 12" screen was in the original vision when it was created a few years ago (2017?). As the interface becomes more grandiose (3" to 5" to 8.4" to 12"), more resources are required to make it work which leaves less "extra room" for options and features. I'm not sure of all the "extras" lost but I know that includes the vehicle health report and fewer SXM Favorites that you can set.

When you buy a new laptop it's relevant and can handle the games you want to play. Several years later the games advance but your laptop doesn't so now you're limited to playing games that your laptop can handle and adjust the settings (or are okay with dealing with the glitches), or get a new laptop. uConnect 4 is the old laptop and the 12" screen is the new game that came out.

Between customer demands (now that there's a 12" screen I need a 15" screen and full digital dashboard!) and manufacturers having to do more and go bigger every year, tech requirements increase exponentially that even after just several years it's obsolete.
I would think it would be more like the 12" display would be the fancy new laptop and uconnect would be the old game that shouldn't lose features on a better laptop.

Gitter

Reaction score
I would think it would be more like the 12" display would be the fancy new laptop and uconnect would be the old game that shouldn't lose features on a better laptop.
That's what I was thinking. Lol

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
uConnect 4 is the old laptop and the 12" screen is the new game that came out.
That's what I was thinking. Lol
I stand by my analogy. uConnect 4 showed up in production ("new laptop") then the 12" showed up years later ("new game").

Empirical data also supports my analogy. Who is complaining about limitations and features lost? The 12" owners.

I may not have SXM 360L but I have a vehicle health report and more SXM Favorite "slots" available with my 8.4" NAV.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I stand by my analogy. uConnect 4 showed up in production ("new laptop") then the 12" showed up years later ("new game").

Empirical data also supports my analogy. Who is complaining about limitations and features lost? The 12" owners.

I may not have SXM 360L but I have a vehicle health report and more SXM Favorite "slots" available with my 8.4" NAV.
Analogy isn't accurate though as uconnect is more of an operating system, and not the hardware.

Gitter

Reaction score

How many SXM favorites slots do you get with the 8.4? I would love to have another dozen!

Cptcoolie

Reaction score
Would be nice to have Map updates since other navigation options can't go full screen!

Gitter

Reaction score
Favorites are not the presets. 12 presets and I think for the 12.9 we have 50 favorites but don’t hold me to that as I don’t have them filled up.

Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking the presets. It's what the steering wheel button cycles through, so it'd be nice to have more of those slots available.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overall I would say its an OK system, looks good and for the most part it works as intended.

Things I am not thrilled with, Carplay! it tends to be very buggy and it seems to crash the radio from time to time(lake the last two days, LOL) when not using carplay, the system is damn near flawless, if a bit slow for some things.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried this site, but nothing happens when I enter the vin?
Either you did not enter a valid VIN or there was a problem with the browser.

Double check your VIN and re-enter.

Favorites are not the presets. 12 presets and I think for the 12.9 we have 50 favorites but don’t hold me to that as I don’t have them filled up.
I think I had somewhere in the mid-40s when mine filled up. I've since pared down and gone with more artists than songs.

Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking the presets. It's what the steering wheel button cycles through, so it'd be nice to have more of those slots available.
I would love more than 12 SXM presets. With a bajillion channels I have to pick the one I listen to most in that genre and then channel +/- to check the rest of them in case something good is on.

For radio, though, 12 presets is plenty for each band for me.

Last edited:

azzx

Reaction score
Right questions are not asked by Ram care. dealer walking me though the instructions is not important. it is not that complicated of a system.
not having "on-line search capability" is important. Not having vehicle health functionality is important!

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That worked, I used my phone and it popped up. So something on my browser is funky.

Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I think I had somewhere in the mid-40s when mine filled up. I've since pared down and gone with more artists than songs.

I would love more than 12 SXM presets. With a bajillion channels I have to pick the one I listen to most in that genre and then channel +/- to check the rest of them in case something good is on.

For radio, though, 12 presets is plenty for each band for me.
I mean, how much do you change SXM channels that 12 isn't enough? I couldn't even fill up all 12 with different channels I would listen to, so the last 5 are just repeats of other channels. And I only really listen to my first three saved channels.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only listen to a few genres of music, some comedy channels, and m-a-y-b-e some news on occasion.

Even though that's about 5 things and there's a primary channel I default to in each area, each of those "groups" has 4+ channels that have content that I surf through. If I'm already pushing the button to scroll through my presets I would just as well put all of them on there to scan through.

Instead I scroll to a channel, go up and down to see if there's something I like, then have to go back to that primary channel so that I can go to the next preset otherwise I will go back to preset 1 if I don't select a preset from my screen.

I know...first world problems. I'm coming from a 2003 Ford F-250 with 6 presets and no SMX so this is all light years better than what I'm used to. That being said, though, I paid the same for my truck as someone who bought a C-Class Mercedes, and a Budget Rent-A-Car Toyota Corolla has more presets than I do. :confused:

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I mean, how much do you change SXM channels that 12 isn't enough? I couldn't even fill up all 12 with different channels I would listen to, so the last 5 are just repeats of other channels. And I only really listen to my first three saved channels.
You can add pandora stations/favorite artists(groups) to the presets also if you have any. You can also turn on alerts for artists/groups and when they play on a favorite(I think) and definitely a preset it will alert you. Not sure if it alerts you if they play on just any channel.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can add pandora stations/favorite artists(groups) to the presets also if you have any. You can also turn on alerts for artists/groups and when they play on a favorite(I think) and definitely a preset it will alert you. Not sure if it alerts you if they play on just any channel.
If you set a Favorite in SXM it will alert you if it plays on any channel. The drawback is that you can only identify/set Favorites while they are playing. You can't look them up so you have to wait until you come across it playing on a station then you can add it to your Favorites (by song or artist).

The presets are just channels that you set and are in a convenient location in a bar across the top of your screen.

I'm old school so I do not do any streaming services while I drive. It's either radio, SXM, or my thumb drive. SXM channels never change no matter where I drive, and I have SXM and my thumb drive long after cell service ends when I'm off-roading.

Users who are viewing this thread