5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Experience Feedback

Select all statements below that best describe your experience with the Uconnect system:

• My dealer walked me through the functions and features

• My dealer did not walk me through the functions and features

• I use resources such as DriveUconnect.com, social sites, and the owner’s manual to better understand

• I am confident in using Uconnect

• The Uconnect system is still unfamiliar to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
Quick- how far is it to my next turn/exit? Oh, you can't see that big blue font "12 mi" when almost every other number is in white?

Attachments

• 20210829_151756(1).jpg
    20210829_151756(1).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 34

LV426

Reaction score
The clock is honestly the absolute worst... I remember my old man driving with me the first time after I got the truck and he's like "where's the clock ?" I reluctantly point to it and he's like "that big *** screen and that's the damn clock" I could feel the WTF emitting from him, lol.

Whoever was in charge of the clock should be fired....

Gitter

Reaction score
Quick- how far is it to my next turn/exit? Oh, you can't see that big blue font "12 mi" when almost every other number is in white?

The blue accent is nice, but your right, it's horrible for things that need to convey information such as your example, or what the volume is being turned to, or the text that pop's up when you touch a question mark in the settings menu.

You would think this would have been an easy thing to catch and change during the testing phases (or even the during the MY19 updates)...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Generally happy with it but definitely room for improvement.
1) Cameras need to stay on longer, use more screen. I pull in to a tight parking spot, activate surround camera, shift gears to adjust position and the camera view disappears. The system should automatically activate the relevant camera when obstacles are detected at less than 2(?) mph.
2) CLOCKS!!! When Android Auto is activated the only clock visible is moved to the left edge of the screen, close to the top. It is white font which almost disappears against the white background of Waze. Why does the clock even move from the top center? Plenty of space up there. The optional clock on the dash display needs to have the font match the speedo, tach, digital speed font.
3) Dash Display (center)- so much room for status messages, etc., yet they are truncated etc. Use that space!
4) Dash Display 2: Why no option for full time Nav directions in the center space?
5) Navigation: The blue font for the distance to next waypoint/exit, etc. is almost unreadable against the black background. That is a primary bit of information and should be better displayed.
6) Favorites: Yeah, it would be great if personal settings actually stayed in the system after using Android Auto. Perhaps it is related to the key vs user but that shouldn't really be an issue anyway.
7) "Buttons": Almost everything under the "Apps" button is not an application by common definition/usage of the term.
Factory navigation sucks, so no point even worrying about it. Especially since you mentioned in your clock rant that you use Waze anyway.

There is no programable user settings for each key. You can set up different profiles for radio display, but it's not based on the key being used.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
5) Navigation: The blue font for the distance to next waypoint/exit, etc. is almost unreadable against the black background. That is a primary bit of information and should be better displayed.
I'd love to meet the genius that thought this was a good color choice. Somehow I think that they have the level of common sense that one day soon will win them a Darwin Award.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
The option to disable Android Auto, Carplay
Isn't it in the bluetooth settings under phone projection manager?

Also, on a android you can choose what the USB does when you plug it in. Slide down the notification bar and there's a USB notification when plugged in. You can use charge only, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
@RamCares

In reality, what salesperson has 3 hours or more to fully teach someone how to use the Uconnect system fully?

What new owner wants to sit there after 2-3 hours of negotiations and going through the paperwork, if not longer, and listen to a salesperson tell them about the radio?

Last edited:

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since the car I was trading in was a Jeep Cherokee with an 8.4 Nav, I saved the dealer some time and asked him not to bother showing me how to use it. My Jeep didn't support carplay and the Nav system was terrible so I actually did NOT want the Nav version in the Ram. I also never signed up for or used any remote start features or used the hotspot in the Jeep so that not being available doesn't bother me either.

I didn't want the big 12" screen since one of the things that bugged me the most about my Jeep (and bugged my wife even more) was the lack of physical buttons for the heated seats/wheel. I likes my buttons!

So, for me, the 8.4 non Nav radio is actually the perfect radio for me and so far it's been rock solid. I also don't have to deal with periodic over the air updates that always seemed to happen right when I got to work and parked. My daughter's job in the Jeep was to hit that "Accept" button on the radio since it took so long to go away, in the Ram it's gone before she can reach over to hit it. ;) If it stays just the way it is, I'll stay happy!

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I traded a '15 durango for a' 19 durango r/t with the same 8.4 system and the salesman still aggressively tried to walk me through the system. I declined and still had to sign some paper that said he showed me all the features. .

After 4 hours of negotiating and another couple doing financing and paperwork, the last thing I wanted to do was sit through that crap.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded a '15 durango for a' 19 durango r/t with the same 8.4 system and the salesman still aggressively tried to walk me through the system. I declined and still had to sign some paper that said he showed me all the features. .

After 4 hours of negotiating and another couple doing financing and paperwork, the last thing I wanted to do was sit through that crap.

I got a post-purchase evaluation survey and one of the questions was whether I was shown how everything works. I guess he didn't want to get dinged later.

I will say that the system in my 2015 Grand Cherokee was different enough from the 2021 Ram, that it was helpful (went from 8.4 - 12" screen.) But, my time at the dealership was only about 10 minutes, outside of the walkthrough and transferring stuff from one vehicle to the other.

ya3coub

Reaction score
Will it be a software upgrade to U connect 5 for the 8.4” screens?
If hardware will it be supported and doable with a retrofit kit?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Will it be a software upgrade to U connect 5 for the 8.4” screens?
If hardware will it be supported and doable with a retrofit kit?
Pre MY22s will have to be a hardware swap. Dealers Will not do this as UC5 was not installed OEM prior to MY22s. Can’t answer about 8.4s but people are attempting with the 12” system. They were hoping it would only be the radio module and a wire adapter but as of right now I’ve read that it’s at a minimum the screen, radio module and a wire adapter(not OEM made). There is a thread about upgrading MY19-21s to UC5 if you do a search.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My dealer showed me the basics and I'm still learning the rest. I'm not really tech savvy so I'll more than likely never use it to its fullest capabilities anyway. It did seem to be pretty glitchy at first but it did just do an update which seemed to improve that glitchyness. Other than the "wheres my truck" feature on the uconnect app I find it very slow which pretty much makes it useless to me so I will not renew after my free trial expires.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
My dealer showed me the basics and I'm still learning the rest. I'm not really tech savvy so I'll more than likely never use it to its fullest capabilities anyway. It did seem to be pretty glitchy at first but it did just do an update which seemed to improve that glitchyness. Other than the "wheres my truck" feature on the uconnect app I find it very slow which pretty much makes it useless to me so I will not renew after my free trial expires.
It’s way overpriced anyways and most don’t renew it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s way overpriced anyways and most don’t renew it.
I couldn’t agree more.

I received a card in the mail stating I could purchase another 12 months of UConnect Guardian service for the cost of 10 months. Mine doesn’t expire until July but I thought I’d inquire. The gentleman on the phone stated I could get 12 months of service at the 10 month price of $259!! I choked and asked what the price of a year is and he calmly stated $329.

I calmly thanked him for his time and advised him I’ve owned Rams going back to the 1980s. I explained I’ve NEVER renewed UConnect in all of my newer (post 2015) trucks I’ve owned and the #1 reason is the ridiculous price. The conversation ended there.

LV426

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more.

I received a card in the mail stating I could purchase another 12 months of UConnect Guardian service for the cost of 10 months. Mine doesn’t expire until July but I thought I’d inquire. The gentleman on the phone stated I could get 12 months of service at the 10 month price of $259!! I choked and asked what the price of a year is and he calmly stated $329.

I calmly thanked him for his time and advised him I’ve owned Rams going back to the 1980s. I explained I’ve NEVER renewed UConnect in all of my newer (post 2015) trucks I’ve owned and the #1 reason is the ridiculous price. The conversation ended there.
I honestly wonder if they will ever realize that this service is way over priced, It's almost as if they are purposely overpricing it so it fails. Id love to see what the renewal numbers are...
How do they come up with that price compared to what you get, I mean seriously? The only thing people want is the remote doors anyway, the rest of the crap they bundle isn't worth it.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more.

LMAO and that’s just the guardian services, which lets be real, most of us only WOULD have it for the remote start and lock/unlock features. By the time they’d help locate and recover a stolen vehicle it’d be stripped down to the frame already. That’s what we have insurance for 😂. At least with the new UC5 they’ve broken up the packages to where you can pay for just the convenience services instead of paying for everything. Ram Connect FAQs

How long does my trial last?

All new vehicles equipped with Ram Connect include the following trials: (MY22 and newer(I added this part))
- Safety & Security (10 years)
- Vehicle Performance (5 Years)
- Assistance + Navigation (3 month Trial) (If equipped) (I don’t know the renewal cost and haven’t seen anything yet)

The trial length is measured from the original date of sale or lease of the vehicle. In the case of previously-owned vehicles, any remaining trial period transfers to the new owner if the vehicle is still within 3 months of the original date of sale. A new owner will need to re-enroll the vehicle to activate the services.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I honestly wonder if they will ever realize that this service is way over priced, It's almost as if they are purposely overpricing it so it fails. Id love to see what the renewal numbers are...
How do they come up with that price compared to what you get, I mean seriously? The only thing people want is the remote doors anyway, the rest of the crap they bundle isn't worth it.
They must’ve learned. See post above. 😂👍🏼

LV426

Reaction score
Just received this today, this is the same ****ty deal they send me every other month. They are not even trying....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-27 140647.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-27 140647.png
    449.6 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread