5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Experience Feedback

Select all statements below that best describe your experience with the Uconnect system:

• My dealer walked me through the functions and features

• My dealer did not walk me through the functions and features

• I use resources such as DriveUconnect.com, social sites, and the owner’s manual to better understand

• I am confident in using Uconnect

• The Uconnect system is still unfamiliar to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quint

Reaction score
There is an app....and Uconnect services??? The sales rep spent about 3 minutes showing me the entire truck, so I would bet that it was about 30 seconds on the radio. He told me that I would eventually get an email after I bought the truck.....never got one. Maybe that's where they talked about an app.

At this point I don't really care. The radio works well. I don't really know what, if anything, Uconnect would do for me. If Ram is trying to make money off of it, they aren't doing a good job if they don't even tell customers about it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
uConnect is the interface for the truck. If your truck was a laptop then uConnect is the Windows 10 for your truck.

All of the features for your truck are apps on the touch screen (similar to your smart phone).

Sirius XM provides some of the services you can use/access for your truck (all are paid services if you are not on a free trial):

- Satellite radio - various packages at various prices (and discounts if you are persistent)
- Guardian services (must have NAV unit) - an app you can download onto your phone and it will locate your truck (using GPS service), lock, unlock, or remote start your truck from your phone
- Travel Link (must have NAV unit) - use you NAV unit to find gas, food, buy movie tickets, etc., from your touch screen
- Traffic (must have NAV unit) - Shows traffic, construction, and detours based on current route status

As far as I know everything else on your "radio" unit is free except for the Wi-Fi hotspot.

Here is a link to download the manuals for your truck: https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/my-vehicle/owners-manual.html?openGarage=true

You get the Quick Reference Guide in the glove box when you buy the truck but nothing else. You can use the tabs to look at the available manuals/guides for your truck and download what you want (Owner's Manual, Radio Guide, etc.) for the specific equipment you have (8.4", 12").

Also, you can call Customer Care at 866-726-4636 and request a hard copy of the Owner's Manual. It is free (as in free product and free shipping) as long as you are the original purchaser of the vehicle (that's a tidbit that the dealership won't tell you).

Lastly, you can go to https://www.ramtrucks.com/ and there's a wealth of info on there, especially under the Owner's tab.

Last edited:

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Overall it's good but I'm having two intermittent issues (sound level drops and Maps go blank on start up and takes 2 - 4 mins to get them back). The last time I showed the service tech a video of the GPS issue but since they couldn't replicate, there was no trouble found. Can't video the sound dropping as it's way to random to pinpoint.

Patamaran

Reaction score
What happened voice to text functionality that was present on older uconnect systems? Seems strange to have lost functionality with my new truck.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I'd REALLY like to see navigation like WAZE supported and brought up on the 12" screen. That and when I'm on a call, and the phone is plugged into the system, It won't let me enter things like my pin code for voice mail! I have to unplug the phone to put in my pin code.

Make something for 3rd party Apps! Even if you have to approve it first. It will make the whole Unconnect experience that much better and allow a much faster improved choice of apps.

Jrljr829

Reaction score
I like uConnect better than my wife's SYNC in her Ford Ranger.

As others have mentioned support would be nice. One update in 2 years of ownership (8.4" with NAV) is not very supportive. And it didn't even fix any issues I'm having, specifically the fact that no matter what Theme I pick my 7" EVIC (in the instrument cluster) reverts back to Theme 1 within a day.

I've stopped asking and calling as all I get is "there's an update coming by the end of the quarter" every time I bring it up.
Mine does the same thing. I wish they would fix it. Probably a bug in their software. I have tried all the themes, and it always reverts back to theme 1 in the evic.....

Gitter

Reaction score
I don't understand why I can't get the split screen to show Android Auto along with the stock Nav. Or AA and other media (FM radio).

Illmas

Reaction score
Bought my truck here in the Middle East and there is no way for you to change display order in contacts display. It's second name first name and there doesn't seem to be an option to change it to vice versa the way we are used to here.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is already an option in the settings.
Nope... I’ve looked and have to turn it off on each phone in the truck... and that doesn’t always work. Some games my kids play don’t use the CarPlay software so they end up taking over the radio anyway. While I get that some people need to be able to CarPlay from
Any seat, my USB’s are pretty much charge ports and wish I had an option to do just that

Spendo81

Reaction score
Nope... I’ve looked and have to turn it off on each phone in the truck... and that doesn’t always work. Some games my kids play don’t use the CarPlay software so they end up taking over the radio anyway. While I get that some people need to be able to CarPlay from
Any seat, my USB’s are pretty much charge ports and wish I had an option to do just that
I have an Android and when my phone is plugged in I can go into my phone settings and turn off Android Auto but have it still charging. Have you tried swiping down from the top when your phone is connected?

Spendo81

Reaction score
I don't understand why I can't get the split screen to show Android Auto along with the stock Nav. Or AA and other media (FM radio).
You can do this. When you originally set this up you pick your screens. For example, when I have AA enabled my top screen is that app and the bottom is whatever audio is playing...which can be FM/AM, SirousXM or Spotify. I can also swap that bottom screen with Climate or any other Uconnect app.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
You can do this. When you originally set this up you pick your screens. For example, when I have AA enabled my top screen is that app and the bottom is whatever audio is playing...which can be FM/AM, SirousXM or Spotify. I can also swap that bottom screen with Climate or any other Uconnect app.
Except Nav and Phone, it will use the phones nav or phone app in the top 1/2 while AA/AC is being used. Any other media/Uconnect window can be used on the bottom 1/2.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I have an Android and when my phone is plugged in I can go into my phone settings and turn off Android Auto but have it still charging. Have you tried swiping down from the top when your phone is connected?
That’s what I’m talking about, I can turn it off on the phone but it would be better if I could just turn the option off at the radio itself so that every phone doesn’t have to change its settings.

NCharleroi

Reaction score
Coming from a Honda Ridgeline the Uconnect system is a major upgrade. The responsiveness is much quicker. I also have the 8.4 inch screen. I don’t forsee myself paying for the app service after the year is over unless it's $10 or under a month.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why does the 12" display have less functionality with uconnect than the 8.4" display? Love my 12", but no reason why we can't get vehicle health options like the 8.4 trucks. Takes way too long for selections through the app to get to the truck and work, if they ever work. No indication that the truck received the remote start or lock/unlock commands. Location option takes way too long to find the truck, and seems about half the time it just times out, or just reports the previous position.

My salesman have me a quick and dirty walkthrough. Mostly just getting my phone connected. Fairly teach savvy so was able to figure out most things on my own, and from reading owners manual. I will not be paying for the service after my year free trial is up. Especially Sirius Guardian as the weather radar has never worked in my truck

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Coming from a Honda Ridgeline the Uconnect system is a major upgrade. The responsiveness is much quicker. I also have the 8.4 inch screen. I forsee myself paying for the app service after the year is over unless it's $10 or under a month.
To continue using the app after the year is up it’s around $250 a year. Unless the 8.4 packages are different.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Why does the 12" display have less functionality with uconnect than the 8.4" display? Love my 12", but no reason why we can't get vehicle health options like the 8.4 trucks. Takes way too long for selections through the app to get to the truck and work, if they ever work. No indication that the truck received the remote start or lock/unlock commands. Location option takes way too long to find the truck, and seems about half the time it just times out, or just reports the previous position.

My salesman have me a quick and dirty walkthrough. Mostly just getting my phone connected. Fairly teach savvy so was able to figure out most things on my own, and from reading owners manual. I will not be paying for the service after my year free trial is up. Especially Sirius Guardian as the weather radar has never worked in my truck
The weather radar takes around 10 or so minutes it seems to load but it does work.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does the 12" display have less functionality with uconnect than the 8.4" display? Love my 12", but no reason why we can't get vehicle health options like the 8.4 trucks.
There's only so much resources available with uConnect 4 and I don't think the 12" screen was in the original vision when it was created a few years ago (2017?). As the interface becomes more grandiose (3" to 5" to 8.4" to 12"), more resources are required to make it work which leaves less "extra room" for options and features. I'm not sure of all the "extras" lost but I know that includes the vehicle health report and fewer SXM Favorites that you can set.

When you buy a new laptop it's relevant and can handle the games you want to play. Several years later the games advance but your laptop doesn't so now you're limited to playing games that your laptop can handle and adjust the settings (or are okay with dealing with the glitches), or get a new laptop. uConnect 4 is the old laptop and the 12" screen is the new game that came out.

Between customer demands (now that there's a 12" screen I need a 15" screen and full digital dashboard!) and manufacturers having to do more and go bigger every year, tech requirements increase exponentially that even after just several years it's obsolete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread