5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Cold Air Intakes?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if you don’t do this last part you’re not getting cold air?
If you do t trim the radiator cover it partially blocks the airflow. Most people just cut it straight across and there is no need to use a heat gun, but I wanted to keep the RAM lettering

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion, but I lost mpg after my varam intake. I did buy it used (could possibly be the issue), but my mpg definitely went down 1-2 mpg's. It's also flimsy. I have varam and a borla exhaust that's averaging mid to low 14's. Thats as of last week with stock wheels back on. Maybe a tune would help. idk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion, but I lost mpg after my varam intake. I did buy it used (could possibly be the issue), but my mpg definitely went down 1-2 mpg's. It's also flimsy. I have varam and a borla exhaust that's averaging mid to low 14's. Thats as of last week with stock wheels back on. Maybe a tune would help. idk
Either you didn't install it correctly or the filter is dirty.
It's not possible to lose mpg with a bigger filter area. Both use cold air.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong. but I think it is possible if the factory tune isn't happy with the added air.
There isnt added air. The engine will only suck in as much air as it needs. the only time the Vararam may make a difference is at wide open throttle. Did you disconnect the battery when you installed it?

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
There isnt added air. The engine will only suck in as much air as it needs. the only time the Vararam may make a difference is at wide open throttle. Did you disconnect the battery when you installed it?
Yes, I upgraded to a group 31 battery since my factory battery crapped out. After the intake install.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either you didn't install it correctly or the filter is dirty.
It's not possible to lose mpg with a bigger filter area. Both use cold air.
Less restrictive intake makes it possible to pass more air, which the ECU will mix with more fuel. And colder air is denser, which the ECU will mix with more fuel. These things are intended to make more power, so isn't it silly to expect the same MPG?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Less restrictive intake makes it possible to pass more air, which the ECU will mix with more fuel. And colder air is denser, which the ECU will mix with more fuel. These things are intended to make more power, so isn't it silly to expect the same MPG?
It wont, unless you use WOT a lot. Regular driving will use way less air than even what the factory air cleaner provides.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all personal preference. I chose to trim mine to keep the RAM letters. Then used a hear gun to massage it up some do it didn't block flow. I used a jigsaw to cut it out. View attachment 154201
Have you ever seen the available vynil graphics for the letters? Many colors to choose from. I chose B5-Mopar Blue. 20230418_135646.jpg

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They call them Cold Air Intakes because...
Hot Air Sucking, poor-fitting tube that filters like a screen door and gunks up your TB & MAP sensor with "cleaning" oil but it might sound cool
...is kind of a mouthful.

It's quite disingenuous that they calll them a Cold Air Intake. If you haven an open element filter, it's anything but cold, though you do get a cool induction noises. If you have it in a closed box, then you're back to a colder intake (like stock) but loose the sound?

The ECM and MAP in the engine will regulate the throttle to hit a target load, and the throttle is hardly ever actually 100% open. A stock engine won't target anything the stock airbox can't satisfy - that would be poor engineering. Forced induction is another storry, but you'd need to be pushing 500+ whp.

If one is honest with oneself and wants one for looks and/or sound and are aware that it nets no power or mpg difference, that is totally understandable.

That said, if I were to buy one I'd go with S&B.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the available vynil graphics for the letters? Many colors to choose from. I chose B5-Mopar Blue. View attachment 165123
Yeah, I had purple on mine for a while, but they never stuck good. Was probably more to do with the type of vinyl.

Attachments

• PXL_20220127_225209808.jpg
    PXL_20220127_225209808.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 13

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My intake gets air directly from the grill so not much “hot” air is getting introduced. Also being made from carbon fiber, heat soak is a lot less likely. IMG_6326.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They call them Cold Air Intakes because...
Hot Air Sucking, poor-fitting tube that filters like a screen door and gunks up your TB & MAP sensor with "cleaning" oil but it might sound cool
...is kind of a mouthful.

It's quite disingenuous that they calll them a Cold Air Intake. If you haven an open element filter, it's anything but cold, though you do get a cool induction noises. If you have it in a closed box, then you're back to a colder intake (like stock) but loose the sound?

The ECM and MAP in the engine will regulate the throttle to hit a target load, and the throttle is hardly ever actually 100% open. A stock engine won't target anything the stock airbox can't satisfy - that would be poor engineering. Forced induction is another storry, but you'd need to be pushing 500+ whp.

If one is honest with oneself and wants one for looks and/or sound and are aware that it nets no power or mpg difference, that is totally understandable.

That said, if I were to buy one I'd go with S&B.
The Vararam is sealed from engine heat once hood is closed and only air coming in, comes from in front of radiator. You will get heat soak sitting still, but any intake will have that.

Users who are viewing this thread