5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Cold Air Intakes?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He also admins he doesn't get a tune. You can't just increase airflow by a boat load and not adjust the engine to do anything with that air.

I mean that theoretical 10hp is an entire 2% increase over stock LOL.
Not sure what you can notice a 2% change on.

I'm still going with removing your battery cable (which is part of the install of the intake) will make a bigger difference.

I did notice an improvement with my last updated tune after my Vararam intake. More of a difference then getting the tune on the stock truck with just the exhaust changed. But to be clear not really a difference the matters, just a smoothness is the engine at wot during hard shifts, not going to make my truck very much faster, but not slower.
When I installed my Vararam, I'd went out and did three 0-60 runs with factory intake, installed the Vararam then did three 0-60 runs on the Vararam. I did not unhook battery when I did swap because I know it doesn't need to be. I averaged 2-tenths faster 0-60 post Vararam.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
When I installed my Vararam, I'd went out and did three 0-60 runs with factory intake, installed the Vararam then did three 0-60 runs on the Vararam. I did not unhook battery when I did swap because I know it doesn't need to be. I averaged 2-tenths faster 0-60 post Vararam.
I'm sold, where do I sign up for one? :rolleyes:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have a problem with people who say foot/pounds instead of the correct pound/feet when discussing engine torque. But that's another story LOL
Both are incorrect. :eek: Multiplication is the correct operator and the order is irrelevant, so pound*feet or foot*pounds would be acceptable. :)

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering putting a cold air intake on but I'm not certain if they actually provide any benefits. I would mainly like a little more throttle response and more aggressive sound. It any MPG gains were there then that would be bonus. I'm looking at S&B closed box CAI and a Spectre CAI. I can get a great deal on the Spectre but not sure if there is actually any difference in these intakes that would make the extra cost for the S&B worth it. Anyone have any experience with either or both and can attest to the benefits?
The Mopar ram airflow (Mopar part #77072428AE) gives 30-35 horsepower boost per Dodge. It is quite pricey ($800.) but looks sounds and performs great. Ordering mine next week.3

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Mopar ram airflow (Mopar part #77072428AE) gives 30-35 horsepower boost per Dodge. It is quite pricey ($800.) but looks sounds and performs great. Ordering mine next week.3
Dodge? Sounds like Fake News😆

Seriously there is no change in HP even with the GT exhaust. I have added both. Sounds great but that’s about all.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Provide the source.
I find it interesting that Dodge would comment on an air intake made for a Ram truck not a Dodge car.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man! You guys are picky. I forget where I saw the 30 hp stat. And I'm old school, it will always be Dodge to me. Maybe it was a vararam stat that I saw, but do you think a vararam will out perform something engineered by Ram for a Ram?
Any CAI should provide a 10% hp boost.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man! You guys are picky. I forget where I saw the 30 hp stat. And I'm old school, it will always be Dodge to me. Maybe it was a vararam stat that I saw, but do you think a vararam will out perform something engineered by Ram for a Ram?
Any CAI should provide a 10% hp boost.
I think Ram emulated Vararam in their design, and if anything, Ram uses a more restrictive filter. Other than that, there can't be any other advantage one way or the other because it's the same design. Ram just put a lid on thiers as opposed to sealing against the hood.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think Ram emulated Vararam in their design, and if anything, Ram uses a more restrictive filter. Other than that, there can't be any other advantage one way or the other because it's the same design. Ram just put a lid on thiers as opposed to sealing against the hood.
I don't know which came first, but I saw it a bit differently. The Ram mounts to the body and includes a real solution to the crankcase vent and a radiator cover and plug for the old inlet hole. Vararam just sits on the throttle body and gives you a cheap vent cap to dangle somewhere, and I saw it as a cheap knock-off. Both will probably work about equally well initially, but Vararam may not age well. You get what you pay for, my $.02.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know which came first, but I saw it a bit differently. The Ram mounts to the body and includes a real solution to the crankcase vent and a radiator cover and plug for the old inlet hole. Vararam just sits on the throttle body and gives you a cheap vent cap to dangle somewhere, and I saw it as a cheap knock-off. Both will probably work about equally well initially, but Vararam may not age well. You get what you pay for, my $.02.
Vararam has been around for a long time. They are popular in the 4th gens. I'd say at least 10 years if not longer. it doesn't create any issues.

As far as the vent for valve cover, it's a filter that does exactly the same thing as connecting to airbox behind the air filter. All you need is filtered fresh air. Only reason it's connected to air tube from factory, and by Mopar on RamAir is for emissions reasons. Can't have the crankcase venting to fresh air if you want to keep EPA happy. So calling how the ramAir box connects a "real" solution just shows you don't understand how the PCV system works.

No need to plug the old air horn to factory airbox. That's just an extra part that adds cost.

Radiator cover, it's not that difficult to just trim your factory one for the Vararam. They provide instructions, and you have a little freedom to trim it as you like. I chose to keep the RAM lettering in mine. Varam gives you the old school Mopar look. If you like modern plastic look, spend more for the ramAir. They both look good in their own way. PXL_20220409_221258841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread