5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Cold Air Intakes?

Hicktown

Reaction score
I'm considering putting a cold air intake on but I'm not certain if they actually provide any benefits. I would mainly like a little more throttle response and more aggressive sound. It any MPG gains were there then that would be bonus. I'm looking at S&B closed box CAI and a Spectre CAI. I can get a great deal on the Spectre but not sure if there is actually any difference in these intakes that would make the extra cost for the S&B worth it. Anyone have any experience with either or both and can attest to the benefits?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not worth it at all.

If you want sound buy an exhaust. Throttle response get a tune and or a throttle booster of any brand.

Check your existing filter and see if it had a carbon prefilter and cut it out if so.
You can get a K&N drop in filter and it will make it a little better, but again not worth it. Change it when your existing filter is dirty, and then just rinse the K&N for the life of the truck.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your Ram already has a cold air intake. Some of the aftermarket parts may allow marginally better flow, but if you're expecting improved mileage you'll probably be disappointed. In fact, mileage is likely to drop, since increased air flow will also cause increased fuel flow.

If you like the look or the sound or a possible tiny increase in power, do it for those reasons and don't expect other magic stuff to happen.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your Ram already has a cold air intake. Some of the aftermarket parts may allow marginally better flow, but if you're expecting improved mileage you'll probably be disappointed. In fact, mileage is likely to drop, since increased air flow will also cause increased fuel flow.

If you like the look or the sound or a possible tiny increase in power, do it for those reasons and don't expect other magic stuff to happen.

Naww mpg isn't going to drop unless he gets some crap brand's intake but it's not going to improve either.

Velocity

Reaction score
I have the S&B intake on mine. Can’t say I noticed any difference in mpg or throttle response. I left the little knock out cover on the side of the box off so I could hear the intake a little better, made it a little louder. Just recently, I switched my exhaust to the AWE catback and had to put the cover back on it. The exhaust made the intake much louder after I installed it, it would rattle my dash and make weird sounds when accelerating at medium throttle or more. I don’t hear it now that I put the cover back in though. I also didn’t hear those sounds when I had the B2 fabrications oval muffler on the truck.

Hicktown

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what my research has said as well. Not really much of a difference it seems. I suppose they just look cooler under the hood, but I doubt I'll be popping the hood very often. Lol.

Limited Legend

Reaction score
I added the S&B and can say I like it. IMO the throttle response is better and it will make the stock exhaust a lil more aggressive. I'm glad I installed it TBH, I left the rubber side piece out as the instructions recommend.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I added the S&B and can say I like it. IMO he throttle response is better and it will make the stock exhaust a lil more aggressive. I'm glad I installed it TBH, I left the rubber side piece out as the instructions recommend.
You get better throttle response when you disconnect your battery so it relearns your driving style then changing the air intake.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
I bought the Vararam SOLEY because I enjoy tinkering with my truck and like the ol' school looks.. Never expected gains in anything. If you are expecting noticeable gains then you are wasting hard earned bucks. But if you enjoy anything outside of expecting increase in power/fuel then you only live once.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I actually read another thread on here somewhere. Somebody installed the Mopar CIA like they put on the GTs, and said he picked up 1 1/2 mpg. It had a low restriction filter, and like one commenter on that thread said " they don't put it on the GTs for nothing.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I actually read another thread on here somewhere. Somebody installed the Mopar CIA like they put on the GTs, and said he picked up 1 1/2 mpg. It had a low restriction filter, and like one commenter on that thread said " they don't put it on the GTs for nothing.
I hate arguing with people online, but whoever said that is definitely getting blinded by the placebo effect lol. They were expecting an increase so their brain kinda makes up an increase when in reality I bet their driving style/weather/location changed. Let’s put it this way, if Mopar had the ability to get 1.5 mpg more and earn themselves way more buyers, happier customers, and CAFE credits from the government, they 1000% would be installing it on all the trucks and advertising their new mpg figures like crazy!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering putting a cold air intake on but I'm not certain if they actually provide any benefits. I would mainly like a little more throttle response and more aggressive sound. It any MPG gains were there then that would be bonus. I'm looking at S&B closed box CAI and a Spectre CAI. I can get a great deal on the Spectre but not sure if there is actually any difference in these intakes that would make the extra cost for the S&B worth it. Anyone have any experience with either or both and can attest to the benefits?
if you get a cai you wont gain anything and even the sound difference will be minimal

but

if you get a air intake (air filter not in a sealed box) then you will get that sound youre looking for, i had it on my last 4th gen ram and to me just that sound was well worth the price

Users who are viewing this thread