5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Cold Air Intakes?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cooler air or less filter restriction can allow the engine to pass more air, and thereby make more power, but it's a small amount and only at or near wide open throttle. Most of the time you will be deliberately restricting airflow with a big ol' throttle plate anyway, and they will make zero difference under those conditions.
That's the point.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does 105 mpg have to do with an air intake?
I have gone faster than 105 even when I had my stock intake, maximum speed has nothing to do with this conversation.
I never mentioned mpg. Ram puts a speed limiter on the 1500's. 105 MPH. I don't know about the HD's. But it only needs to take in enough air to get to the limiter and the stock intake does this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never mentioned mpg. Ram puts a speed limiter on the 1500's. 105 MPH. I don't know about the HD's. But it only needs to take in enough air to get to the limiter and the stock intake does this.
mpg was a typo I was quoting your 105 mph.
105 mph has nothing to do with stock or aftermarket airboxes.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What does 105 mpg have to do with an air intake?
I have gone faster than 105 even when I had my stock intake, maximum speed has nothing to do with this conversation.
I think he means it’s not a race car where ram air would help at really speeds

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think he means it’s not a race car where ram air would help at really speeds
Thanks. But what it means is, there is a limiter and there fore the computer only allows for enough airflow for that much Rev. So the stock intake can handle that quite well

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cooler air or less filter restriction can allow the engine to pass more air, and thereby make more power, but it's a small amount and only at or near wide open throttle. Most of the time you will be deliberately restricting airflow with a big ol' throttle plate anyway, and they will make zero difference under those conditions.
Yes, this is true. Cooler air is more dense than warm air. But the factory intake is a CAI, and already brings in cooler air from outside the engine bay. No aftermarket CAI will bring in cooler air than what the factory intake does.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. But what it means is, there is a limiter and there fore the computer only allows for enough airflow for that much Rev. So the stock intake can handle that quite well
The limiter has nothing to do with airflow, or PCM only allowing a certain amount. The PCM doesn't control throttle blades/airflow to control the speed limiter. It's a fuel cut off. At WOT, you will have more air being sucked into the engine at higher RPMs, and lower speeds, before the shifts, than at the speed limiter.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup. True story

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online