5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Trapped

Reaction score
I feel your pain and don't blame you. I'm in a similar boat as you. Had a 6 year flawless experience with a 4th gen and in less than a year on a 5th gen with a plethora of issues the whole experience has been horrible, especially with the dealer. I won't go as far to say that this will be my last Ram cause I do love the truck (issues aside) and they certainly deserve credit for helping to raise the bar with truck features and such but I won't be going back to this dealer anymore nor will a Ram be my next truck. All auto makers will have issues that's for sure but how they deal with them is more important to me than anything else.
Your last sentence is spot on. It's because of HOW the situation was handled by both the dealer and Ram Cares that has made them loose a customer. The new Frontier is going to be released in a couple of months, I'll have to see how I like it.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Your last sentence is spot on. It's because of HOW the situation was handled by both the dealer and Ram Cares that has made them loose a customer. The new Frontier is going to be released in a couple of months, I'll have to see how I like it.
The new Frontier looks great from the pics I've seen. I'm anxiously awaiting for the new Tundra. They're making a lot of big claims so far. Not saying I'll be getting one but very curious what they'll be offering after all these years of waiting.

dudt

Reaction score
After watching the 2 videos in this thread and reading the various comments I'm convinced that the chirp that I'm experiencing is totally different. Mine only started a few months ago so I thought it was cold related. I certainly don't need the windows down to hear it either. Every bump I go over it's there and it's very annoying and embarrassing. I don't wanna get too graphic but the best way for me to describe the sound I hear is like "having fun with your wife on a worn out bed". I'm not convinced the sound I'm experiencing is coming from the calipers (though I have no idea what is causing it at this point). All I can say right now is I had a flawless 4th gen ram 1500 sport for 6 years with zero issues and I'm regretting trading it in for a 20 Rebel with all the frustration it caused me so far in roughly 9 months of ownership. It's too bad because I do love the truck but there's no way it's a keeper at the rate I'm going with issues.
I had the same noises you are talking about on my 2020 rebel so I went to my local garage and while there they couldn’t find what was causing the noise so I told them to Retighten the Shocks,Control arms and Sway bars.Took her out for a test run and the noise was gone.12-14000 kilometres and the noise hasn’t returned so i guess something wasn’t torqued right

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I had the same noises you are talking about on my 2020 rebel so I went to my local garage and while there they couldn’t find what was causing the noise so I told them to Retighten the Shocks,Control arms and Sway bars.Took her out for a test run and the noise was gone.12-14000 kilometres and the noise hasn’t returned so i guess something wasn’t torqued right
Thanks for the info. While I still never had a chance to tackle this yet I was leaning towards the control arms but I'll certainly check the shocks and sway bars. I will say this though, my squeaking first started in the winter and since the temps are now above zero the squeaking is certainly not as loud as it was.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just an update, drove home from work yesterday and the outside temp was 16°C. I took the same route as I always do (which includes 3 speed bumps in one area) and the squeak/chirp was almost completely gone.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update, drove home from work yesterday and the outside temp was 16°C. I took the same route as I always do (which includes 3 speed bumps in one area) and the squeak/chirp was almost completely gone.
This may sound weird, but it could be your anti-sway bar and links. I just had mine replaced. For me, I was getting a rattle/knock over large bumps at slow speeds below 20 mph. It ONLY happened when it was cold out... below 40F. Over 40 and the noise was almost nonexistent no matter how much I tried to induce it.

The main service guy and I determined that the rubber in the bushings contracted too much from the cold. Rather than mess around to find out which bushing, or bushings, were the offending party... they replaced the whole assembly.

Silent and smooth as it was when I drove it off the lot after I bought it.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And yes... I've had both the chirp from the brake calipers which went away on its own, and this rattle/clunk from the front sway bar. I still love my truck, but having a responsive dealer sure helps too.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck did this the other day. I wasn't even driving it. It was in the garage and I climbed in the back seat to get something out. Seems plausible that it is the anti rattle clips in my case.
Mine does this sitting still in the garage too.
Also, when I first start it in the morning and put it in reverse it chirps the instant I let off the brake.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
This may sound weird, but it could be your anti-sway bar and links. I just had mine replaced. For me, I was getting a rattle/knock over large bumps at slow speeds below 20 mph. It ONLY happened when it was cold out... below 40F. Over 40 and the noise was almost nonexistent no matter how much I tried to induce it.

The main service guy and I determined that the rubber in the bushings contracted too much from the cold. Rather than mess around to find out which bushing, or bushings, were the offending party... they replaced the whole assembly.

Silent and smooth as it was when I drove it off the lot after I bought it.
Yes this could be it or at least something similar. Another nice day here today and I went for a drive with the kids with the sunroof open and never heard one chirp. Whatever I'm experiencing is cold related. It's really annoying when present which is a shame cause I do love my truck.

Craig59

Reaction score
Mine does the same, about to go insane with this noise with only 7300 mile

Trapped

Reaction score
Here’s a picture of the “aftermarket” strut that was pulled out of my truck yesterday.
The squeak is gone now that my struts have been replaced (at my cost). The truck is good overall, Ram Cares failed, the dealer failed.

Attachments

• 3EDB1F66-130C-4098-A5CD-8E44DBB5F50C.jpeg
    3EDB1F66-130C-4098-A5CD-8E44DBB5F50C.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 48

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of the “aftermarket” strut that was pulled out of my truck yesterday.
The squeak is gone now that my struts have been replaced (at my cost). The truck is good overall, Ram Cares failed, the dealer failed.
How is that aftermarket? You have a Rebel with a Hitachi strut from the ORG installed? Was it from the factory like that?

I think they dealer hosed you...

Trapped

Reaction score
How is that aftermarket? You have a Rebel with a Hitachi strut from the ORG installed? Was it from the factory like that?

I think they dealer hosed you...
I mistakenly started my post (rant) in the Rebel Forum. I actually have a Laramie. Truck was purchased used, but dealer said that those were not Factory struts so they wouldn’t honor the warranty. Ram cares was contacted but sided with the dealer. This is my first and last Ram product. Wife wanted to upgrade here Renegrade to a Wrangler in a few years, but that’s not happening now. Not after this experience. I’ll get her a 4Runner instead.
This was the first time that a dealer had ever refused to honor the warranty in my lifetime, my hope is that Ram-cares will see my picture of a clearly MOPAR strut and question the dealer as to why they told me and Ram Cares that the struts were aftermarket.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I mistakenly started my post (rant) in the Rebel Forum. I actually have a Laramie. Truck was purchased used, but dealer said that those were not Factory struts so they wouldn’t honor the warranty. Ram cares was contacted but sided with the dealer. This is my first and last Ram product. Wife wanted to upgrade here Renegrade to a Wrangler in a few years, but that’s not happening now. Not after this experience. I’ll get her a 4Runner instead.
This was the first time that a dealer had ever refused to honor the warranty in my lifetime, my hope is that Ram-cares will see my picture of a clearly MOPAR strut and question the dealer as to why they told me and Ram Cares that the struts were aftermarket.
Wow, your dealership never noticed the Chrysler logo with the Mopar part # on the struts? Brutal, I don't blame you for being mad.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You definitely have a gripe!

Did they replace the struts before they told you about the warranty issue? And then charge you after the work was done? If so... then damn...

I'd contact RamCares directly on this site, for a start, and then maybe RAM directly. Did you buy the Laramie from the same dealer that performed the work?

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Do you have the window sticker for your truck? Or do you know if your Laramie has the off road package (ORP)?

Users who are viewing this thread