5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Six_Swix

Reaction score
Do you know if they replaced them on the front and back?
My sway bar links have been replaced 3 times under warranty. Both sides front end. The first time was less than 1000km. Squeaking sound..

Sway bar link "bushings" were replaced separately another time. Front end. Squeaking sound

There was also a non stop rattle under my truck around 65000 km. Took it in. They replace the cab mounts, CV left side. Finally they narrowed this sound down to the struts. Replaced that. Sound gone.

All work done under warranty

HydroRebel

Reaction score
My sway bar links have been replaced 3 times under warranty. Both sides front end. The first time was less than 1000km. Squeaking sound..

Sway bar link "bushings" were replaced separately another time. Front end. Squeaking sound

There was also a non stop rattle under my truck around 65000 km. Took it in. They replace the cab mounts, CV left side. Finally they narrowed this sound down to the struts. Replaced that. Sound gone.

All work done under warranty
Well glad you got it all worked out finally. I just replaced the rear stock sway bar with a Hellwig sway bar hoping that will cure my winter chirp. Sounds like the front end is a bigger issue. The front sway bar is pretty beefy compared to the back one. I will consider replacing all end links with aftermarket ones if my chirp comes back next winter. I noticed your signature says "raised in Fort McMurray". I've been living here the last 17 years.

Six_Swix

Reaction score
Well glad you got it all worked out finally. I just replaced the rear stock sway bar with a Hellwig sway bar hoping that will cure my winter chirp. Sounds like the front end is a bigger issue. The front sway bar is pretty beefy compared to the back one. I will consider replacing all end links with aftermarket ones if my chirp comes back next winter. I noticed your signature says "raised in Fort McMurray". I've been living here the last 17 years.
Trucks been raised in Fort McMurray. I've lived here for 10

bkim

Reaction score
@HydroRebel like you mentioned in an earlier post, sounds like the two separate issues (sway bar and anti-rattle clips). Either way, glad to hear there's another solution to address the chirping issue. Currently on a road trip and the chirping has been non-stop with the warmer weather anytime I press and release the brakes. Fortunately, it's been consistent so hoping the dealer will be able to replicate later this week...

HydroRebel

Reaction score
@HydroRebel like you mentioned in an earlier post, sounds like the two separate issues (sway bar and anti-rattle clips). Either way, glad to hear there's another solution to address the chirping issue. Currently on a road trip and the chirping has been non-stop with the warmer weather anytime I press and release the brakes. Fortunately, it's been consistent so hoping the dealer will be able to replicate later this week...
Sounds like you have the anti-rattle clip squeak. Worth a try to give them a shot with some lubricant it might save you a trip to the dealer. I'm only guessing right now that mine is sway bar related but there's a good chance that's what it is.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I purchased my 21 BTS new 3 weeks ago. I have 800 miles on it and I just started hearing the chirp on the right side going over bumps a few days ago. Sounds like I'm getting the brake clip noise. I will most certainly be investigating this myself before I make an appointment at the dealer. I plan on pulling off the right front wheel and caliper if necessary and inspecting those clips to see what I can find.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my 21 BTS new 3 weeks ago. I have 800 miles on it and I just started hearing the chirp on the right side going over bumps a few days ago. Sounds like I'm getting the brake clip noise. I will most certainly be investigating this myself before I make an appointment at the dealer. I plan on pulling off the right front wheel and caliper if necessary and inspecting those clips to see what I can find.
My dealer replaced the pads and clips after reporting the noise to them, it fixed the issue for a short period but returned once the lube the tech applied to the clips washed off. It is annoying, but I’ve heard the same noise from so many vehicles now that I decided to live with it.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you feel confident in doing that, I would. An easier "test" is to just spray the anti-rattle clips with brake cleaner or WD-40 and then take it for a spin over the same roads you hear the noise. If the noise is gone for a short while, you've ID'd your problem.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
If you feel confident in doing that, I would. An easier "test" is to just spray the anti-rattle clips with brake cleaner or WD-40 and then take it for a spin over the same roads you hear the noise. If the noise is gone for a short while, you've ID'd your problem.
I'm quite confident in doing that. I've been a mechanic for 27 years so it's not a problem for me at all. I will however wait until it gets worse because right now it's doing it very intermittently. My truck can sit for week without driving it because I have other modes of transportation. I could hear the squeak three days ago when I drove it. It sat for a couple days and today I took it out it did not do it at all. Like I said I'll wait until it becomes more steady

Ram.Rebel.19

Reaction score
I had this happen a few months after install of my lift. Took it back to the shop and they tightened the rear sway bar and sound is gone.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm quite confident in doing that. I've been a mechanic for 27 years so it's not a problem for me at all. I will however wait until it gets worse because right now it's doing it very intermittently. My truck can sit for week without driving it because I have other modes of transportation. I could hear the squeak three days ago when I drove it. It sat for a couple days and today I took it out it did not do it at all. Like I said I'll wait until it becomes more steady
That's what happened with me. It started out as an intermittent squeak, then progressed to a more persistent chirp, and eventually worked itself out completely to where it's silent today with 31K on the odometer. Hopefully you experience the same and it ultimately resolves itself.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's what happened with me. It started out as an intermittent squeak, then progressed to a more persistent chirp, and eventually worked itself out completely to where it's silent today with 31K on the odometer. Hopefully you experience the same and it ultimately resolves itself.
Yeah I'm hoping. I'm pretty confident it is not a safety issue so I'll let it ride a bit. I hate having to go to the dealer for warranty work, or any work for that matter because I am a mechanic lol. I hate leaving it with anyone because I'm always nervous that they will scratch or dent something out of carelessness. Plus I know when I do it it will be done right. If it is something as stupid as the brake clips then I'll try a set of aftermarket pads and clips and see how it goes. Until then I'm gonna drive it as I normally do

Vic2302

Reaction score
Hi,

since I am in germany it is even harder to get this chirp problem fixed. My Rebel has only 500 miles on it and I already have this sound on the front driverside. Does anybody have a picture which part i have to lubricate or clean?

Thank you.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

since I am in germany it is even harder to get this chirp problem fixed. My Rebel has only 500 miles on it and I already have this sound on the front driverside. Does anybody have a picture which part i have to lubricate or clean?

Thank you.
Try spraying Brake Cleaner in and around that thin metal "clip" in the picture below.

I've heard... maybe it's in this very thread... that the chirp is a result of metal filings caught between the clip and caliper. Not sure the validity of that statement, but, if wiping down the caliper, clips and pads to make sure they're free of grit, dirt, whatever does the trick... so much the better.

1627998169049.png

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
Try spraying Brake Cleaner in and around that thin metal "clip" in the picture below.

I've heard... maybe it's in this very thread... that the chirp is a result of metal filings caught between the clip and caliper. Not sure the validity of that statement, but, if wiping down the caliper, clips and pads to make sure they're free of grit, dirt, whatever does the trick... so much the better.
Thanks for this... I'm going to give it a try.

dirtybird

Reaction score
I’ve started to notice a squeak/chirp on the right side of my truck. I can’t hear it when the windows are rolled up. Only when they’re rolled down on the right side. Now I’ve read threads where you can lubricate the brake clips and I did that. i did the right front and rear brake clips. that seems to not work. my Truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions? Have a clip of the noise. Not the best clip bit the chirp is there.
I noticed this around 1000 miles. I was about to take it in, and decided to wait until the rain stopped. Ended up driving quite a bit through the storms…. It just stopped at about 1200 miles. Weird, I have 5700 miles now, hasn’t come back.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 big horn BTS, the chirp came up at 1300 miles, on my driver side, when turning, going over small bumps and even when I step up on the side steps.
I have wheel spacers on it, first time I ever do spacers so right away I check on them and everything was fine and torque properly.
It was driving me crazy, but before I could take it to the dealer at 1600 miles it stop. Glad I joined this forum, great source of info, suggestions and experience.
I will repost if chirp comes back.

Childs08

Reaction score
Same issue here, I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie (Night Edition). I’ve been getting chirping sound when braking and going over bumps for about 5 months now. It sounds like a cricket is the best I can describe it…I’ve taken it to the dealer and they acknowledged the sound, replaced the pads and rotors however that only worked for about 2 months and now the sound is back! I just found this thread and haven’t tried the brake cleaner on the anti rattle clips yet but when I do I will report back. Any other solutions found? Hate having to leave it at the dealer for extended periods of time!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
chirp sound has come back, I actually think it never went away. just might be that since I usually drive windows up, music kind of loud.
I will see what explanation dealer gives me on my next service visit.
I have seeing post on a few options, changing caliper bolts, adding lubricant, retorquing some parts.
sucks on a new truck but I got a say now I find myself hearing this similar sound on other brands new vehicles as well
maybe quality is going down on the parts suppliers

Users who are viewing this thread