5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Shdmdt33

Reaction score
I have a 2021 big horn... My issue was a stick in between the truck bed and the back of the crew cab.

U

User_63152

I have noticed this squeak/chirp on my truck as well. It's very annoying. I am going to ask about it when I take it in for my 1st oil change next week.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Here's my follow-up. There's a lot of info in this thread so just a little recap, my squeak/chirp wasn't the anti-rattle clips I proved that long ago but I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. I only experienced my chirp in cold weather and we're in the heart of winter and I haven't experienced the dreaded squeak/chirp (I hope I didn't jinx myself). The latest thing I did was swap the rear swaybar to a Hellwig in the summer and put synthetic grease on the new bushings. I can say with nearly 100% certainty that my squeak/chirp was caused by the stock swaybar (probably not enough lubrication on the stock bushings). Just something else for people to consider if they experience this issue.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's my follow-up. There's a lot of info in this thread so just a little recap, my squeak/chirp wasn't the anti-rattle clips I proved that long ago but I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. I only experienced my chirp in cold weather and we're in the heart of winter and I haven't experienced the dreaded squeak/chirp (I hope I didn't jinx myself). The latest thing I did was swap the rear swaybar to a Hellwig in the summer and put synthetic grease on the new bushings. I can say with nearly 100% certainty that my squeak/chirp was caused by the stock swaybar (probably not enough lubrication on the stock bushings). Just something else for people to consider if they experience this issue.
I had an issue last winter with the front anti-sway bar bushings, but it was more of a knock than squeak. I think the material used in the bushings contracted from the cold. They got replaced under warranty. Definitely something to keep in mind.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I had an issue last winter with the front anti-sway bar bushings, but it was more of a knock than squeak. I think the material used in the bushings contracted from the cold. They got replaced under warranty. Definitely something to keep in mind.
Absolutely! I had a look at my front swaybar bushings when I swapped the rear for a Hellwig but decided to leave it be at the time. I did think about taking the front bushings off to put some synthetic grease on them but was too anxious at the time to test the Hellwig!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rubber used in the front bushings is extremely hard and I had my truck in several times for knocking in the front end, after the dealer replaced the end links and a front cv axle I decided to find the problem myself to reduce downtime. The front sway bar bushings were totally shot, but if you lifted the truck with a two post lift you couldn’t tell. I replaced mine with polyurethane bushings and the issues is resolved.

I’ve also had to grease the rear sway bar bushing as they were making some noise after multiple river crossings. One day I’ll upgrade to the hellwig rear sway bar, but at close to $500 Canadian it’s a tad rich for me.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
The rubber used in the front bushings is extremely hard and I had my truck in several times for knocking in the front end, after the dealer replaced the end links and a front cv axle I decided to find the problem myself to reduce downtime. The front sway bar bushings were totally shot, but if you lifted the truck with a two post lift you couldn’t tell. I replaced mine with polyurethane bushings and the issues is resolved.

I’ve also had to grease the rear sway bar bushing as they were making some noise after multiple river crossings. One day I’ll upgrade to the hellwig rear sway bar, but at close to $500 Canadian it’s a tad rich for me.
Do you have a part number or link to front bushings you installed? I would like to see if this is my issue. At least two dealer has not been successful at identifying the issue.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a part number or link to front bushings you installed? I would like to see if this is my issue. At least two dealer has not been successful at identifying the issue.

Black is out of stock for several weeks, red is what I went with. Make sure you wear gloves when installing the grease to the inside of the bushings as it’s super sticky.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
whats the best way to install the prothane bushings? they have a slit in them but there is no way I can tell to pull it far enough apart to slip over the bar. do they have to slide on all the way from the end of the bar? If thats the case whats the best way to grease them?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whats the best way to install the prothane bushings? they have a slit in them but there is no way I can tell to pull it far enough apart to slip over the bar. do they have to slide on all the way from the end of the bar? If thats the case whats the best way to grease them?
For the front sway bar bushing you just cut the old ones off and force the new ones over the bar after greasing them, don’t be shy on the grease or you’ll be getting lots of noise in no time.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
For the front sway bar bushing you just cut the old ones off and force the new ones over the bar after greasing them, don’t be shy on the grease or you’ll be getting lots of noise in no time.
Has anyone drilled a hole through the bushing and bracket to install a grease zerk?

halla

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their front brakes with an aftermarket brand, maybe it would fix the chirp? Just curious before I drop some cash on new rotors, pads, clips.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their front brakes with an aftermarket brand, maybe it would fix the chirp? Just curious before I drop some cash on new rotors, pads, clips.
Replacing the pads and clips with aftermarket parts was going to be my move if the noise continued but fortunately since my original comment last year the noise has disappeared. I only have about 7k miles on the truck but if the noise does come back I will definitely replace with aftermarket parts

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I was so getting ready to sell this truck….really love it but this chirp was driving me insane….so luckily I had to remove a dragon fly from my drivers side windshield wiper….holy ****…. I lifted up the wiper and there was that god awful chirp!….I am so pumped I finally figured it out. I thought it was way to pronounced to be coming from the brake pads….I always thought it was coming from the heads up display plastic frame on the dashboard….this explains why after a hard rain or car wash it would go away for a while…..I took some pics of the spring and the hinge where the wiper is attached….used Lithium WD40 and praise Jesus I can keep my truck….. I don’t think I’ve been this excited since the day I bought it…..hope this helps everyone….😁

Attachments

• 4148D8B0-8E50-47A8-9AB6-D5AE27C77CC8.jpeg
    4148D8B0-8E50-47A8-9AB6-D5AE27C77CC8.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 60E12E87-26FE-4A96-B630-B1F06846C48A.jpeg
    60E12E87-26FE-4A96-B630-B1F06846C48A.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34

GraftonP

Reaction score

I've been looking for an answer for about a month now. I installed a leveling kit in December right before the temperature really took a dip. I've been thinking the knocking was due to an error in installing the leveling kit.

We had the truck in the garage the other night and decided to do what any group of engineers would do, and rock the truck side to side as hard as we could to replicate the noise. The knock appeared to be coming from the driver side sway bar bushing, and your post just about confirms it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking for an answer for about a month now. I installed a leveling kit in December right before the temperature really took a dip. I've been thinking the knocking was due to an error in installing the leveling kit.

We had the truck in the garage the other night and decided to do what any group of engineers would do, and rock the truck side to side as hard as we could to replicate the noise. The knock appeared to be coming from the driver side sway bar bushing, and your post just about confirms it.
Unfortunately the aftermarket bushings I installed did not hold up, the brackets they included bent allowing the bushing to move around. Oem is still the best option.

xterramobil

Reaction score
Anybody found a tsb for the squeking with part# for change the original front bushings???

GraftonP

Reaction score
Anybody found a tsb for the squeking with part# for change the original front bushings???
When I went to the dealership regarding the issue, they changed them under warranty because i was still dancing around ~32k miles. Unfortunately have not seen a TSB floating around yet.

Dgonz0289

Reaction score
It’s probably the dust cover disks behind the rotors. I was dealing with a hissing/scrapping noise when turning left only under acceleration and/or braking and I also had the occasional squeaking as OP described. Rotated tires, checked all of the steering and suspension and then finally looked at the dust cover disks behind the rotors. Rear right one was super close, close enough to rub with just the slightest angling when turning. I simply pulled them away from the rotor and sound gone.

I’ve dealt with the dealers and I don’t trust them one bit. They’ve tried pulling quick ones on me before, thinking I didn’t know sh!t mechanically and have caught them. I don’t put it passed them to know it was a quick fix but say it was a bigger cause to charge manufacturer for other parts and labor for a bigger check. Just my .2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread