5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Update: The dealer said it was the front passenger strut, but wouldn’t fix it under my extended warranty. I purchased the truck used and apparently the previous owner replaced the struts with aftermarket parts. Ram cares didn’t do anything either except for close my case.
I’m going to try some Bilstein struts, if that doesn’t fix the issue then I’ll have to get rid of the truck.

If you are thinking of a 5th gen Ram-Don’t get a used one, they won’t honor the warranty if the previous owner changed anything!!

7 Trips to the dealer to fix 4 out of 5 issues in 9 months.

I’m never getting a MOPAR again! My wife wanted another Jeep once my truck was paid off, I guess she’s getting a Toyota now! 🤬
I understand that you are frustrated, but it was an aftermarket part. I wouldn't fault Ram for that. Now if this was the same dealer that you bought the truck from then I would have thought they would have disclosed that information if they were the ones who sold you the extended warranty. Fault the dealer not the manufacturer.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
After watching the 2 videos in this thread and reading the various comments I'm convinced that the chirp that I'm experiencing is totally different. Mine only started a few months ago so I thought it was cold related. I certainly don't need the windows down to hear it either. Every bump I go over it's there and it's very annoying and embarrassing. I don't wanna get too graphic but the best way for me to describe the sound I hear is like "having fun with your wife on a worn out bed". I'm not convinced the sound I'm experiencing is coming from the calipers (though I have no idea what is causing it at this point). All I can say right now is I had a flawless 4th gen ram 1500 sport for 6 years with zero issues and I'm regretting trading it in for a 20 Rebel with all the frustration it caused me so far in roughly 9 months of ownership. It's too bad because I do love the truck but there's no way it's a keeper at the rate I'm going with issues.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After watching the 2 videos in this thread and reading the various comments I'm convinced that the chirp that I'm experiencing is totally different. Mine only started a few months ago so I thought it was cold related. I certainly don't need the windows down to hear it either. Every bump I go over it's there and it's very annoying and embarrassing. I don't wanna get too graphic but the best way for me to describe the sound I hear is like "having fun with your wife on a worn out bed". I'm not convinced the sound I'm experiencing is coming from the calipers (though I have no idea what is causing it at this point). All I can say right now is I had a flawless 4th gen ram 1500 sport for 6 years with zero issues and I'm regretting trading it in for a 20 Rebel with all the frustration it caused me so far in roughly 9 months of ownership. It's too bad because I do love the truck but there's no way it's a keeper at the rate I'm going with issues.
Have you tried giving the anti rattle clips a shot of lubricant? I did that on my 19 and it would disappear for a week or so then return.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't yet but I will probably do it this weekend.
Give it a shot, it may work and if it does at least you can take it to the dealer and know where the noise originates from.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
i nicknamed my truck "Squeaky" @RamCares when they gonna recall these things?
Haha epic name for the truck. As another user already reported, their answer will be it's normal, or within tolerance (dare I say like the AC) and we're just going to have to accept it. Since the introduction of the 4th gen Ram's sales have skyrocketed, and it was certainly deserving. They introduced a lot of new tech and features, put real pressure on Ford and other auto makers. They took a few steps forward again on the 5th gens and several steps backwards and they need to realize the sales can plummet just as fast as they increased. My experience with my 4th gen Ram was phenomenal, with the dealer and the truck. My experience with the 5th gens (2020 Rebel) and the same dealership this time around has been horrible. It seems their arrogance level rose with the truck sales.

saylor

Reaction score
i can only agree. i too had a 2015 crewcab 1500 and it ran great and had no issues.

like i have said previously and will probably say again its like RAM took everything they knew about building trucks and threw it in the trash

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
My truck did this the other day. I wasn't even driving it. It was in the garage and I climbed in the back seat to get something out. Seems plausible that it is the anti rattle clips in my case.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Well I drowned all those clips in WD-40 and my noise still remains. Like I said before I can hear it with the windows up and radio on so it seems to be different than what others are experiencing in this thread. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from or what it is. Actually, I just figured it out. They ran out of the new 5th gen chassis when they were building my truck and built it on an old worn out bed frame instead.

Trapped

Reaction score
I understand that you are frustrated, but it was an aftermarket part. I wouldn't fault Ram for that. Now if this was the same dealer that you bought the truck from then I would have thought they would have disclosed that information if they were the ones who sold you the extended warranty. Fault the dealer not the manufacturer.
Further update: The dealer lied about the struts being aftermarket- they are OEM. Ram cares listened to the dealer and have lost a customer.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Further update: The dealer lied about the struts being aftermarket- they are OEM. Ram cares listened to the dealer and have lost a customer.
I feel your pain and don't blame you. I'm in a similar boat as you. Had a 6 year flawless experience with a 4th gen and in less than a year on a 5th gen with a plethora of issues the whole experience has been horrible, especially with the dealer. I won't go as far to say that this will be my last Ram cause I do love the truck (issues aside) and they certainly deserve credit for helping to raise the bar with truck features and such but I won't be going back to this dealer anymore nor will a Ram be my next truck. All auto makers will have issues that's for sure but how they deal with them is more important to me than anything else.

Misterturbo

Reaction score
Same chirp here on a brand new 2021 rebel. Noticed it on first drive. Less than 400 miles on the new truck. Sounds like left side, and only when hitting light bumps.

ill live with it for now, and hopefully enough people complain and they release a TSB for a real fix, so it’s not a lengthy explanation at the dealer.

petebri

Reaction score
I believe I have the same squeak/chirp HydroRebel. 2020 BigHorn. It is definitely more noticeable in cold weather, almost non-existent at temps above 70F. But you hit a hard enough bump (speed bump) and the squeak comes out. Actually had the truck at the dealer for the squeak back in Feb and they replaced both front upper control arms. When I was pulling out of the dealership lot after the arms were replaced, squeak was still present, same severity, same volume, but I was tired for driving the bare bones Cherokee.
Plan on taking the truck back in the next couple of weeks

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I believe I have the same squeak/chirp HydroRebel. 2020 BigHorn. It is definitely more noticeable in cold weather, almost non-existent at temps above 70F. But you hit a hard enough bump (speed bump) and the squeak comes out. Actually had the truck at the dealer for the squeak back in Feb and they replaced both front upper control arms. When I was pulling out of the dealership lot after the arms were replaced, squeak was still present, same severity, same volume, but I was tired for driving the bare bones Cherokee.
Plan on taking the truck back in the next couple of weeks
It's funny you should say that cause I first noticed the noise when winter started. However, now that's It's warmed up a bit I still hear it going over bumps and of course it's quite irritating. I'm sorry that you're experiencing it as well though I'm glad I'm not alone. I won't be taking to my dealer they're completely useless. If I get it figured out I'll let ya know. I plan on crawling up under the truck once the weather is decent enough.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny you should say that cause I first noticed the noise when winter started. However, now that's It's warmed up a bit I still hear it going over bumps and of course it's quite irritating. I'm sorry that you're experiencing it as well though I'm glad I'm not alone. I won't be taking to my dealer they're completely useless. If I get it figured out I'll let ya know. I plan on crawling up under the truck once the weather is decent enough.
Now that I’m thinking of it... my 2019 had the off road package and the heat shield for the gas tank was running on one of the skid plates. Can you have someone rock the truck back and forth while you search for the squeak?

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Now that I’m thinking of it... my 2019 had the off road package and the heat shield for the gas tank was running on one of the skid plates. Can you have someone rock the truck back and forth while you search for the

Now that I’m thinking of it... my 2019 had the off road package and the heat shield for the gas tank was running on one of the skid plates. Can you have someone rock the truck back and forth while you search for the squeak?
Are you saying the heat shield was causing your squeak? I'll definitely have a look.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying the heat shield was causing your squeak? I'll definitely have a look.
Yeah it was a while back so I don’t remember the exact spot. However it was a heat shield rubbing on the skid plate, bent it back and no issues. I heard the noise behind the driver seat through the floor of the cab when driving.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Yeah it was a while back so I don’t remember the exact spot. However it was a heat shield rubbing on the skid plate, bent it back and no issues. I heard the noise behind the driver seat through the floor of the cab when driving.
Thanks, that's interesting. I'll certainly have a look when I'm under there.

petebri

Reaction score
Yeah if you figure it out, please let us know. Dealer originally thought it could be sway bar end links, but ultimately decided to replace the arms. To me, based on the hot/cold differing severity, I think it has to be bushings of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online