5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Lee07

Reaction score
I’ve started to notice a squeak/chirp on the right side of my truck. I can’t hear it when the windows are rolled up. Only when they’re rolled down on the right side. Now I’ve read threads where you can lubricate the brake clips and I did that. i did the right front and rear brake clips. that seems to not work. my Truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions? Have a clip of the noise. Not the best clip bit the chirp is there.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve started to notice a squeak/chirp on the right side of my truck. I can’t hear it when the windows are rolled up. Only when they’re rolled down on the right side. Now I’ve read threads where you can lubricate the brake clips and I did that. i did the right front and rear brake clips. that seems to not work. my Truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions? Have a clip of the noise. Not the best clip bit the chirp is there.
Take it to the dealer. They fixed this for me by replacing calipers.

Lee07

Reaction score
Really? Ok. Think I’ll try them again. The last time they pulled the ol “we just seem to not hear anything”

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neuro, do you happen to know if there is a STAR case or TSB for this. I’m taking mine in Friday for this and a messed up garage door opener button.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
zOn3, I don’t think there‘s either a TSB or Star case on this.

The kicker is that it’s now doing it again after being quiet for about seven or eight months. I told my service advisor last week while I was there to get my oil change, and he told me to hold off bringing it back since they had already replaced the calipers, so I will wait until there is a TSB so they can have at it again.

Getting pretty tired of this...

Cheers,

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
zOn3, I don’t think there‘s either a TSB or Star case on this.

The kicker is that it’s now doing it again after being quiet for about seven or eight months. I told my service advisor last week while I was there to get my oil change, and he told me to hold off bringing it back since they had already replaced the calipers, so I will wait until there is a TSB so they can have at it again.

Getting pretty tired of this...

Cheers,
Yeah, this one is one of the more annoying issues I’ve had. The squeak makes it almost unbearable to drive with the windows all the way down. I’m also getting tired of spraying the clips with WD40 every couple months. I’ll see what my dealership does to fix mine and if it comes back I’d probably have to do the same as you.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are "anti-rattle clips" where the pads sit in the calipers. You'll see thin metal strips. Spray some WD40 in the gap between it and the calipers, then go for a drive to see if you hear the noise. Odds are you won't... but only for a short time... as the lube will evaporate and the squeak will return. But you've identified the problem at least.

I had the same thing late last summer, but by early fall it had resolved itself and there was no squeak... and there still isn't today.

From my experience, and this is purely anecdotal, it seems like a break-in issue. Or, some dust or grit works itself in those tiny gaps making the chirpy squeaky noise which then works itself out.

It is extremely irritating when you have the windows down and you just want to go for a nice drive. Hope you get it resolved.

Lee07

Reaction score
There are "anti-rattle clips" where the pads sit in the calipers. You'll see thin metal strips. Spray some WD40 in the gap between it and the calipers, then go for a drive to see if you hear the noise. Odds are you won't... but only for a short time... as the lube will evaporate and the squeak will return. But you've identified the problem at least.

I had the same thing late last summer, but by early fall it had resolved itself and there was no squeak... and there still isn't today.

From my experience, and this is purely anecdotal, it seems like a break-in issue. Or, some dust or grit works itself in those tiny gaps making the chirpy squeaky noise which then works itself out.

It is extremely irritating when you have the windows down and you just want to go for a nice drive. Hope you get it resolved.
So i put grease on the brake ends where it meets the clip and that didn’t seem to work. Then I applied wd-40 white lithium grease around the clip area an that seemed to work for a day. It came back and I sprayed it again, and the noise is gone again. I wonder if it could possibly be where you attach the clip to the caliper and not the brake pad rubbing on the clip. Just my observation.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
When they do the brakes they are supposed to grease that. So you wouldn’t need wd40

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not saying that WD-40 is a solution other than a temporary one. I did it only to confirm what others had said in a threat last summer, thinking that some kind of lubricant would quiet the chirp and it did. But only for a short time.

For me, the chirp went away right as I was about to take it to the dealer for a look... like the day before. I am not attributing that it went away to the WD-40. It went away on it's own as far as I can tell.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I took mine in yesterday for a broken garage door button, and tried to have them diagnose the chirp. Of course the truck wouldn’t do it over light bumps as it used to. I took the truck home and hit a medium pothole and behold.. a quick chirp comes back. I may have to actually grease the clip so it doesn’t come back as fast.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I developed the squeak about a week ago. Was super loud. I sprayed the clips (4 on each wheel) with brake cleaner and it took care of the noise so far. Brake cleaner is preferred since it leaves no residue if any gets on the pad.

I have a feeling the brake dust works its way in that area and makes it squeak. Basically metal on metal.

Lee07

Reaction score
I developed the squeak about a week ago. Was super loud. I sprayed the clips (4 on each wheel) with brake cleaner and it took care of the noise so far. Brake cleaner is preferred since it leaves no residue if any gets on the pad.

I have a feeling the brake dust works its way in that area and makes it squeak. Basically metal on metal.
Thanks for the info. After I sprayed the area with white lithium grease and a couple days later I washed the truck it just went away.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agreed with all. Most annoying thing.
Not taking it back to the dealer until there’s an official fix or TSB for this.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a metallic chirping noise from time to time but it’s most obvious when driving next to a wall at a drive thru at very slow speeds. It can be heard when applying the brakes and while going over certain bumps, I figure I’ll get the usual “unable to replicate” from the dealer so I have been ignoring it until I go in for my next service. Ill take a look at the front pad clips and maybe give them a shot of wd40.

Last edited:

Selym21

Reaction score
I greased the ears of the pads and came right back after 5 miles. Any pernament fixes? Dont wanna go to the dealer and them waste my time

2020 ram 1500 bighorn

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still struggle with this one. I have an issue with CarPlay now so my trucks going in tomorrow. Going to have them try and diagnose it again. Oddly enough my truck also makes squeaking noises when the brakes get applied. So with the windows down driving slowly every press of the brakes I hear a small squeak noise. Getting tired of the brake issues on this truck.

dudt

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 ram rebel 5.7l in may and after I got home I noticed there was a thumping and squeaking noise in the rear suspension.After a while i got sick of the noises and took it to my local garage.The mechanic checked the shocks,control arms and sway bar links.there was sideways movement in the belstein shocks so he retighten them and also tightened the contr arms and sway bar links,now there is no thumping or squeaking noises.It sounds like a new vehicle should and rides like a dream

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 ram rebel 5.7l in may and after I got home I noticed there was a thumping and squeaking noise in the rear suspension.After a while i got sick of the noises and took it to my local garage.The mechanic checked the shocks,control arms and sway bar links.there was sideways movement in the belstein shocks so he retighten them and also tightened the contr arms and sway bar links,now there is no thumping or squeaking noises.It sounds like a new vehicle should and rides like a dream
There are two different (three actually) with brakes on these trucks. I’ve experienced all three.

1. Front brake squeal
  2. Rear brake moan when wet
  3. Brake chirp

First issue, squeal when light braking, was fixed for me right away. Dealer replaced with redesigned front brake pads and swapped rotors.

Second issue is not a big deal to me. It just does this for a second or two after washing the truck, and goes away after applying the brakes before I’m out of the driveway.

Third is the chirp, which was fixed for me once they replaced calipers. This chirp literally sounded like a cricket, and would make this noise with engine on or off, anytime I would get in or out of the truck, or go over a speed bump (not when braking).
No issues for several months after the dealer fix, until it cam back briefly last March or April, but then went away and has been quiet since. So for all intents and purposes, fixed.

Neurobit

Users who are viewing this thread