5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the same chirp , had it into the dealer who said they couldn’t duplicate the sound . Anyway about 6 - 8 months of listening to the noise it just stopped , that was about 2 1/2 - 3 months ago and hasn’t come back .

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same chirp , had it into the dealer who said they couldn’t duplicate the sound . Anyway about 6 - 8 months of listening to the noise it just stopped , that was about 2 1/2 - 3 months ago and hasn’t come back .

I am hoping that’s what happens with my truck. My dealer did less than 2 minutes of testing before they agreed with me that it was the anti rattle clips making the noise. New pads/clips solved the issue for only a few short weeks.

One slow drive along a wall or curb with the windows open and you’ll think your at a cricket farm. Each and every bump and brake application/ release will make the chirp.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer said the couldn’t hear the chirp. I find that hard to believe it happens so often with different driving situations,even backing to forward and visa versa. They would have heard it just pulling it into the shop. Hope you get some info to pass along.

Have them take your truck for a slow drive along the back wall of their shop or to a McDonald’s for a coffee, it’s pretty easy to replicate, some techs might think your talking about brake squeal at first and give you some crap about “oh there’s no asbestos in brakes anymore so they tend to be noisier” Sorry, but all modern brakes should be near silent unless they are contaminated with rust/water/dirt. Or in our case, have minor design issues.

I was told by the service advisor that the clips and pads were redesigned because of this issue, but the replacements didn’t solve the problem for me.

dudt

Reaction score
So far with 5200 kilometres no brake noises and my fingers are crossed there doesn’t be any after all the troubles I had with a 2016 Laramie ecodiesel i had to get rid of it with only 66,000 kilometres.It was at the garage more than in my driveway.Mostly to do with Emissions.
With over 11000 kilometres,the squeaky ,thumping noises hasn’t happened since i had the shocks and control arms Retightened.So far no squeaky brake noises

Reaction score
Well, after a second trip to the dealer (and nearly a week in their possession), I was told they can't reproduce the problem. I asked if they drove it with the windows down and they admitted that they drove it with the windows up. Are you serious!? I immediately drove over and took a ride with the service manager through a subdivision and the first street with some small bumps revealed the cricket sound. He noticed it and repeated that same pattern to isolate the location (driver side, front). Seriously, this took 5-10 minutes to reproduce, not 6 days!! I received a call a day later and the only solution that they performed was lubing the anti-rattle clip. The sound went away for about a week. I am beyond frustrated! This truck sounds like it's 10 years old. Thank God it's winter and I don't get that cricket reminder with the windows up.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, after a second trip to the dealer (and nearly a week in their possession), I was told they can't reproduce the problem. I asked if they drove it with the windows down and they admitted that they drove it with the windows up. Are you serious!? I immediately drove over and took a ride with the service manager through a subdivision and the first street with some small bumps revealed the cricket sound. He noticed it and repeated that same pattern to isolate the location (driver side, front). Seriously, this took 5-10 minutes to reproduce, not 6 days!! I received a call a day later and the only solution that they performed was lubing the anti-rattle clip. The sound went away for about a week. I am beyond frustrated! This truck sounds like it's 10 years old. Thank God it's winter and I don't get that cricket reminder with the windows up.

Dealer replaced my front pads and anti rattle clips, the sound returned in less than a month. I am ignoring it for now as well hoping that it’ll go away by itself before spring.

smshuskerram

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition with around 9500 miles on it. It has a build date of May 2020. I have developed what I call a moan squeak every time I go over bump. Its sounds like I'm driving a 1997 S-10 blazer where they were commonly known for body bushings that created the squeak or moan when they went over bumps. Is this possibly the brake squeal you guys are referring to? It started back in November when the temps started dropping. Hopefully some of you know what I mean by the Chevrolet S10 Blazer reference.

Thanks

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition with around 9500 miles on it. It has a build date of May 2020. I have developed what I call a moan squeak every time I go over bump. Its sounds like I'm driving a 1997 S-10 blazer where they were commonly known for body bushings that created the squeak or moan when they went over bumps. Is this possibly the brake squeal you guys are referring to? It started back in November when the temps started dropping. Hopefully some of you know what I mean by the Chevrolet S10 Blazer reference.

Thanks
No, you are correct. What you are describing is what we call the "chirp. The brake squeal is a different issue on another thread.
Very annoying. Mine was calmed but has returned. Apparently it's an issue with the caliper pad clips.

smshuskerram

Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to try to take it in next week as my truck also has issues with the Harmon Kardon radio set up. The bass rattles something in the back at low volume. Im not to impressed so far with that set up. Doesn't sound any better than the nine speaker Alpine I had in my 2018 Limited in my opinion.

Thanks again

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to try to take it in next week as my truck also has issues with the Harmon Kardon radio set up. The bass rattles something in the back at low volume. Im not to impressed so far with that set up. Doesn't sound any better than the nine speaker Alpine I had in my 2018 Limited in my opinion.

Thanks again
You bet. Check back to let us know if they were able to fix it. Some people get lucky the first time, while for others it takes multiple trips to the dealer.

Trapped

Reaction score
My 2019 developed this squeak last week. I've only had it about 6 months, but it had about 50k on it when I got it. It sounds like metal on metal and only seems to happen when the suspension is active, regardless of speed. I flushed the salt and snow out of it and sprayed all of the suspension components with WD-40 and that made the noise go away for the weekend, but now it's back.

I've had this truck back to the dealer several time already for various issues, I'm starting to think it's a Lemon.

zj4x4

Reaction score
I have a ~10 month old 2020 and this same seemingly suspension-based squeak developed recently (a month or two ago and seems related to going over bumps regardless of braking). Low mileage at only 6100. I've been getting increasingly annoyed with the noise and have been considering taking it in to get addressed.

smshuskerram

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I've been a bit busy. My truck is still currently at the dealership. Been there a week. They are waiting on parts. The tech told the service advisor that the noise is from the sway bar end links. The service advisor is only contacting me through text messaging. I am not a fan of this. Now I'm not sure if its the front sway bar or rear. But I also may be ignorant in the fact that maybe my truck doesn't have a rear sway bar?? What happened to customer service?? They have been on order since last week. They have one in stock but waiting on the other to show up possibly today. I've been given a loaner truck for the time its been in the shop which is great but I miss my truck!

Trevor89

Reaction score

Thanks again
I had the same issue with the bass rattling something in the back, turns out they used some sort of inferior adhesive for some sort of cross brace in between the roof and head liner in the trucks without sunroofs that is becoming loose and rattling with bass or bumpy roads. They had to take my truck over night, remove all the seats, all the pillars, drop the head liner and re adhere whatever this thing was with varathane. Was this your issue as well?

I also have the squeak over bumps but they told me they couldn't recreate it of course. Oh and my passenger door handle paint started flaking off which they replaced at least. And the remote start issue a lot of people are also having.

Not a bad run for less than 10 000kms on her haha. Hopefully the kinks are ironed out now!

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
My squeak turned out to be the front crossmember, and front essentrick bolts. These apparently were not torqued properly. Will see how long before they squeak again as it was doing this for a long time and most likely something has abnormally worn. The dealer could not replicate originally, then the 2nd time the shop foreman had to take it for a drive.

smshuskerram

Reaction score
So far my squeak hasn't returned after they replaced the sway bar end links. The tech said in his comments that they either overtightened the link or under tightened that caused the bushing to fail where it became metal on metal causing the squeak. The speaker they replaced the passenger rear door after it failed an ohm test. But the rattle is still present at low volume. I have my bass set at 4. I'm thinking its coming from the rear panel. Its either rattling the panel or rear window.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
My squeak came back after a few days. I will post a clip on here later on today. Will be going in a third time in regards to this issue.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trapped

Reaction score
Update: The dealer said it was the front passenger strut, but wouldn’t fix it under my extended warranty. I purchased the truck used and apparently the previous owner replaced the struts with aftermarket parts. Ram cares didn’t do anything either except for close my case.
I’m going to try some Bilstein struts, if that doesn’t fix the issue then I’ll have to get rid of the truck.

If you are thinking of a 5th gen Ram-Don’t get a used one, they won’t honor the warranty if the previous owner changed anything!!

7 Trips to the dealer to fix 4 out of 5 issues in 9 months.

I’m never getting a MOPAR again! My wife wanted another Jeep once my truck was paid off, I guess she’s getting a Toyota now! 🤬

Users who are viewing this thread