5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

Trapped

Reaction score
He can lookup his window sticker here if he doesn't have it: https://windowstickerlookup.com/
It doesn’t have the off-road package, it’s just the base Laramie with with the Hemi. It just floors me that the dealer said those weren’t factory struts... As I’ve already paid to replace them on my own it’s more or less a moot point now, but Ram should look at this along with the Salesman that was giving the friends and family discount to EVERYONE as evidence that they shouldn’t and cannot trust their dealers Carte Blanche- perhaps do some verification.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
It doesn’t have the off-road package, it’s just the base Laramie with with the Hemi. It just floors me that the dealer said those weren’t factory struts... As I’ve already paid to replace them on my own it’s more or less a moot point now, but Ram should look at this along with the Salesman that was giving the friends and family discount to EVERYONE as evidence that they shouldn’t and cannot trust their dealers Carte Blanche- perhaps do some verification.
Yes it's sad no doubt. I wouldn't walk away though I'd be taking those struts to the service manager and demand a refund.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Just wanted to provide a little update on this. Since the weather where I live has been consistently warm for some time now my squeaking/chirp noise is 100% completely gone (without touching or doing anything) making my drives more enjoyable and not so embarrassing, I guess until winter rolls around again.

Lee07

Reaction score
I have been rolling my windows down a bit now that it’s warmer and I don’t hear the chirp going over bumps. I have about 10,750 miles on my truck. So hopefully the chirp stays gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve started to notice a squeak/chirp on the right side of my truck. I can’t hear it when the windows are rolled up. Only when they’re rolled down on the right side. Now I’ve read threads where you can lubricate the brake clips and I did that. i did the right front and rear brake clips. that seems to not work. my Truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions? Have a clip of the noise. Not the best clip bit the chirp is there.
do you have a leveling kit on your truck? if so that might be the cause. same thing happened to my friends ram after the install. it was fixed by changing the kit

Lee07

Reaction score
do you have a leveling kit on your truck? if so that might be the cause. same thing happened to my friends ram after the install. it was fixed by changing the kit

Nope. Just the factory lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to provide a little update on this. Since the weather where I live has been consistently warm for some time now my squeaking/chirp noise is 100% completely gone (without touching or doing anything) making my drives more enjoyable and not so embarrassing, I guess until winter rolls around again.
Sounds like the issue I had with the sway bar bushings. Only happened when it was below a certain temp.

Dave Z

Reaction score
I bought my 21 Ram 1500 Bighorn Night edition about 2 weeks ago upgrading from my 2016. I started hearing this chirp going over bumps almost immediately. Looking around online I stumbled on this forum...went back to the dealer prepared for them to tell me they couldn’t do anything but the shop foreman was very cool even looking through the forum to see what others tried, took a ride with me heard the noise and agreed it’s not acceptable on a brand new truck. They had the truck a few hours and removed both driver side wheels cleaned out the rattle clips and calipers and tells me he found small metal shards in the clips. Cleaned everything and greased it and so far (been a week since) no chirp it finally sounds like a 21. Hope this helps, otherwise the new truck is amazing so many upgrades since 2016

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I bought my 21 Ram 1500 Bighorn Night edition about 2 weeks ago upgrading from my 2016. I started hearing this chirp going over bumps almost immediately. Looking around online I stumbled on this forum...went back to the dealer prepared for them to tell me they couldn’t do anything but the shop foreman was very cool even looking through the forum to see what others tried, took a ride with me heard the noise and agreed it’s not acceptable on a brand new truck. They had the truck a few hours and removed both driver side wheels cleaned out the rattle clips and calipers and tells me he found small metal shards in the clips. Cleaned everything and greased it and so far (been a week since) no chirp it finally sounds like a 21. Hope this helps, otherwise the new truck is amazing so many upgrades since 2016
Welcome to the forum and glad to hear the shop foreman addressed your issue. I do have to say though there's no way (at least in my case) that metal shards are causing the chirp. It seems there's 2 categories of chirps that have been reported on here, one being the anti-rattle clips which looks like your issue, and the other being the bushings on the sway bars contracting in cold weather. Thanks for sharing the info the more solutions we hear about the better it is for everyone.

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie sport with 1600 miles has this chip very badly, mainly when going over bumps. I’ve already had my 19 ram bought back under lemon law. I know this is not a safety issue, or at least I hope not, however it’s very very annoying for a new $65,000 truck. Looks like the dealer visit are going to start with this truck too😩

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie sport with 1600 miles has this chip very badly, mainly when going over bumps. I’ve already had my 19 ram bought back under lemon law. I know this is not a safety issue, or at least I hope not, however it’s very very annoying for a new $65,000 truck. Looks like the dealer visit are going to start with this truck too😩
I'd have the dealer do exactly what Dave Z's did above. Sounds like an easy fix to a common problem. My chirp went away on it own, and I'd wager whatever debris/metal filings were in there simply got ground away.

dudt

Reaction score
I'd have the dealer do exactly what Dave Z's did above. Sounds like an easy fix to a common problem. My chirp went away on it own, and I'd wager whatever debris/metal filings were in there simply got ground away.
I had my squeaky noises from may to September in the warmth of summer also until i got the control arms and sway bar bushings Retighten.Hasn’t had a problem since not even throughout this past winter with temperatures down to -20 celsius

Steve’sRebel

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2021 rebel for 1 month. I heard a chirp almost right away when going over small bumps/manhole covers.
I took it in to the dealer, they said they heard something minor but they didn’t do anything.
now I hear it when braking and when I start from a stop sign.
I am taking it back in 2 days. I have 3500 kilometres on my truck. It cost 80000 Canadian dollars and I didn’t expect these noises.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2021 rebel for 1 month. I heard a chirp almost right away when going over small bumps/manhole covers.
I took it in to the dealer, they said they heard something minor but they didn’t do anything.
I am taking it back in 2 days. I have 3500 kilometres on my truck. It cost 80000 Canadian dollars and I didn’t expect these noises.
Welcome to the forum and to the unfortunate chirp club! Sounds like your chirp might be associated with the anti-rattle clips. Hopefully you get it resolved. I'm still happy to report that I'm still currently chirp free. I do expect that to change when winter strikes again.

bkim

Reaction score

Any luck since you posted this thread?

My issue as you mentioned is specifically when I apply the brake and also when I release while in gear (I mention this as I've placed the vehicle in neutral and stepped/released the brakes with no noise). I also notice the chirping noise when I apply the brakes and turn the steering wheel at a stop. It's audible with the windows down going through a drive through or close to a wall since the chirp/squeak is pretty high in pitch. The noise went away during the winter, however, it's returned now affecting both front wheels when the weather is typically above 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) and after it's been driven for 15 or more minutes.

The last few times I've taken it to the dealership has resulted in cleaning the brake components and replacing the caliper slide pin and bolt. All of which were a temporary fix... I recently moved and hoping the local Ram dealership may permanently address this later next week.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any luck since you posted this thread?

My issue as you mentioned is specifically when I apply the brake and also when I release while in gear (I mention this as I've placed the vehicle in neutral and stepped/released the brakes with no noise). I also notice the chirping noise when I apply the brakes and turn the steering wheel at a stop. It's audible with the windows down going through a drive through or close to a wall since the chirp/squeak is pretty high in pitch. The noise went away during the winter, however, it's returned now affecting both front wheels when the weather is typically above 75 degrees (Fahrenheit) and after it's been driven for 15 or more minutes.

The last few times I've taken it to the dealership has resulted in cleaning the brake components and replacing the caliper slide pin and bolt. All of which were a temporary fix... I recently moved and hoping the local Ram dealership may permanently address this later next week.
Same issue haven’t had mine in yet only 3100 miles, it drives me nuts. I had a 19 bought back under lemon law, it had issues, even break issues, but it never had the chirp! So unacceptable for a $65,000 truck. They have been building these things since middle of 2018. I ran the **** out of my chevys, even lived on gravel, had 60,000 miles on my 07 and the breaks never made a sound! What happened to the replacement parts for the breaks in my 19?

bkim

Reaction score
Same issue haven’t had mine in yet only 3100 miles, it drives me nuts. I had a 19 bought back under lemon law, it had issues, even break issues, but it never had the chirp! So unacceptable for a $65,000 truck. They have been building these things since middle of 2018. I ran the **** out of my chevys, even lived on gravel, had 60,000 miles on my 07 and the breaks never made a sound! What happened to the replacement parts for the breaks in my 19?
@Hydroblueguy it's unfortunate. I'm sitting at 15,000 miles or so and quite honestly at the tail end of testing my patience with this issue. The chirping noise is embarrassing going through a drive-through since it is at its loudest when besides a wall and I'm getting tired of band-aid fixes only to have to spend more time off of work to have the dealership look into it again. @RamCares has addressed working with the dealership on this topic in other forums, but I'm wondering if there has been any additional effort.

Users who are viewing this thread