5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp going over bumps

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are two different (three actually) with brakes on these trucks. I’ve experienced all three.

1. Front brake squeal
  2. Rear brake moan when wet
  3. Brake chirp

First issue, squeal when light braking, was fixed for me right away. Dealer replaced with redesigned front brake pads and swapped rotors.

Second issue is not a big deal to me. It just does this for a second or two after washing the truck, and goes away after applying the brakes before I’m out of the driveway.

Third is the chirp, which was fixed for me once they replaced calipers. This chirp literally sounded like a cricket, and would make this noise with engine on or off, anytime I would get in or out of the truck, or go over a speed bump (not when braking).
No issues for several months after the dealer fix, until it cam back briefly last March or April, but then went away and has been quiet since. So for all intents and purposes, fixed.

Neurobit
Third issue is the next one I’m targeting for them to fix. I have had the rear brake moan and it was solved with a simple bracket. My rears have developed a slight squeak when applying the brakes. Dealership is going to add some adapter, and new calipers. Brake issues on these trucks are never ending. Atleast mine. They perform well but can’t keep quiet.

Last edited:

dudt

Reaction score
So far with 5200 kilometres no brake noises and my fingers are crossed there doesn’t be any after all the troubles I had with a 2016 Laramie ecodiesel i had to get rid of it with only 66,000 kilometres.It was at the garage more than in my driveway.Mostly to do with Emissions.

Jbravo106

Reaction score
Do you guys have wheel locks on the rims. My truck makes the same chirp. I found my front driver side wheel lock has a ring that spins loosely and makes a squeaking sound. Thought that was the cause. Anyone else has that issue?

Jbravo106

Reaction score
I’ve started to notice a squeak/chirp on the right side of my truck. I can’t hear it when the windows are rolled up. Only when they’re rolled down on the right side. Now I’ve read threads where you can lubricate the brake clips and I did that. i did the right front and rear brake clips. that seems to not work. my Truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions? Have a clip of the noise. Not the best clip bit the chirp is there.
Do you guys have wheel locks on the rims. My truck makes the same chirp. I found my front driver side wheel lock has a ring that spins loosely and makes a squeaking sound. Thought that was the cause. Anyone else has that issue?

Lee07

Reaction score
I have them but I never thought to check that. mine isn’t loose but I’ll check that again..and I can still hear the chirp. Annoying from time to time.

Corvo

Reaction score
Literally just got back from the dealership, as my 2020 Ram Rebel is doing the front brake chirping too.

According to the service guy, the noise is coming from the brake slider, but its "normal"...I asked how in the world that could possibly be considered normal?

Just gave me the usual reply of "we checked everything, everything's functioning as it's supposed to, nothing's loose, it's normal for the 2020's to have that chirp. If it ever gets worse come back but otherwise there's nothing we can do"

Incredibly disappointing that a $40,000 - $60,000 truck has a chirp that's considered "normal"...

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Literally just got back from the dealership, as my 2020 Ram Rebel is doing the front brake chirping too.

According to the service guy, the noise is coming from the brake slider, but its "normal"...I asked how in the world that could possibly be considered normal?

Just gave me the usual reply of "we checked everything, everything's functioning as it's supposed to, nothing's loose, it's normal for the 2020's to have that chirp. If it ever gets worse come back but otherwise there's nothing we can do"

Incredibly disappointing that a $40,000 - $60,000 truck has a chirp that's considered "normal"...
Go to another dealer. Or open a case with RamCares. Them saying this is considered "normal" is their way of saying we don't know how to fix it short of replacing parts. My dealer swapped my front and rear calipers and pads and this resolved the chirp. I also don't agree that its the brake slider. Its the anti rattle clips flexing as you hits bumps and chirping against the caliper. I sprayed them with WD40 and magically the noise disappeared. I told the dealership that same trick and they replaced the full set up. Also, no matter what your truck cost that is a moot point. If these were 25k new cars or 100k pickups they should not create a noise unbearable to the driver when the windows are down. Its not acceptable by any means, you just got a lazy response out of a lazy dealership. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Built-to-Serve Edition with just over 3,000 miles. I developed the chirp around 2,000 miles. Took it in and the dealer replaced the front brake pads. I thought the problem was resolved. A few weeks later and rolled the windows down on a nice warm Michigan day and guess what's back...the chirp. It sounds like it's a driver's side front only. Man, is this ever frustrating. I was without the truck the first time for 3 days waiting for parts to come in. Here I go again.

Jbravo106

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Built-to-Serve Edition with just over 3,000 miles. I developed the chirp around 2,000 miles. Took it in and the dealer replaced the front brake pads. I thought the problem was resolved. A few weeks later and rolled the windows down on a nice warm Michigan day and guess what's back...the chirp. It sounds like it's a driver's side front only. Man, is this ever frustrating. I was without the truck the first time for 3 days waiting for parts to come in. Here I go again.
I have 4500 miles on my 20 bighorns. It drive me nuts. I have a service coming up but would love to know what it is and how it can be fixed for good!

Corvo

Reaction score
Opened a case with Ram Cares, have a new apppointment scheduled for Monday the 9th. The dealership I’m dealing with can only be described as a bunch of turds. They were honestly upset with me that I went to Ram to open a case after they told me they wouldn’t fix anything and that the noise was “normal”

I already know I’m going to go to this appointment Monday and it’s going to be a waste of time. It’s very clear that even with a case open with Ram Cares, they have no intention of providing anything as a fix

Corvo

Reaction score
So as expected, I went back to the dealership even with the backing of a Ram Cares case and representative (Scott was his name) and got the same song and dance. This time (so they say) they supposedly put some form of lubricant on the brake slider to try to help but it's just as noisy as ever. Their excuse for doing nothing further is that "Chrysler / Ram allows for so much noise on the brake and apparently the noise on my truck doesn't exceed "normal" levels that warrant any form of replacing / recalling etc.

The representative at my local dealership told me until there's an actual recall (if there ever is one) there's nothing they're gonna fix or replace.

So I'm at a loss I guess. I have an brand new embarrassingly noisy $60,000 truck that everyone can hear and the dealership acknowledges is there, but won't fix.

If this is what I can expect from Ram then I guess this will be my first and last Ram and I will definitely make sure to have everyone steer clear of Ram.

It is clearly a defective product with multiple instances of said defect documented, and no one is getting any definitive resolution regardless of escalated Ram Cares cases.

Mobilemike01

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue here. The dealer said it was my running boards and that they were “installed wrong”. LOL Ok. I did them myself and am pretty mechanically savvy. I think I can handle 18 bolts. I recorded a video going in and out of my garage where you can definitely tell it’s not the running boards and the chirp is coming from the brake area. I have another appointment Monday.

Lee07

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue here. The dealer said it was my running boards and that they were “installed wrong”. LOL Ok. I did them myself and am pretty mechanically savvy. I think I can handle 18 bolts. I recorded a video going in and out of my garage where you can definitely tell it’s not the running boards and the chirp is coming from the brake area. I have another appointment Monday.
I got running boards too and yeah it’s definitely not that. Haven’t checked it in awhile or notice the noise. Usually have my music going or windows up because it’s getting colder.

Reaction score
I have 4500 miles on my 20 bighorns. It drive me nuts. I have a service coming up but would love to know what it is and how it can be fixed for good!
Just dropped my truck off at the dealer today to address the "chirp over bumps" again. Replacement pads didn't fix it. Let's see what the results are in round #2. I'll keep everyone updated. Fortunately, my local dealer is very cooperative and wants to get to the bottom of it. The chirp has gotten worse and is quite embarrassing on a head-turning truck. I love my truck but gotta fix this! I'll let you all know the results in the next couple of days.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been hearing the same chirp noise that a lot of us are experiencing on not just rams, I noticed it on several jeeps and caravans lately when they are pulling into my work.

I first noticed the chirp noise when using a drive thru at slow speeds and then it got progressively worse and would happen when getting into and out of the truck with the engine off. I had the pads and hardware replaced which worked for a couple of weeks and now the noise is back. Until there is an official fix other than throwing parts at it I will live with it and hope that the anti rattle clips wear in and the noise goes away over winter.

Reaction score
I have been hearing the same chirp noise that a lot of us are experiencing on not just rams, I noticed it on several jeeps and caravans lately when they are pulling into my work.

I first noticed the chirp noise when using a drive thru at slow speeds and then it got progressively worse and would happen when getting into and out of the truck with the engine off. I had the pads and hardware replaced which worked for a couple of weeks and now the noise is back. Until there is an official fix other than throwing parts at it I will live with it and hope that the anti rattle clips wear in and the noise goes away over winter.
Funny you should mention that you hear the sound getting in and out of the truck. Can't be a brake issue then. My wife told me that she heard a similar noise as I was turning sharply into the driveway and again when I turned my wheel (while stopped). While driving, I can eliminate the noise while applying the brakes. Maybe we have a suspension issue? I'm no engineer but somebody better get to the bottom of this. Living with it is not an answer after spending a reasonable amount of money on a new truck!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No it is definitely the brakes, the noise went away for about 3 weeks after the dealer replaced the pads and anti rattle clips. Spraying a lubricant onto the clips will make the noise go away aswell.

The chirp can be heard when hitting very small bumps at low speeds, at initial brake application and at times when you enter/exit the vehicle. It’s not your normal brake squeal, it’s a very metallic chirp noise that sounds like a cricket.

Reaction score
No it is definitely the brakes, the noise went away for about 3 weeks after the dealer replaced the pads and anti rattle clips. Spraying a lubricant onto the clips will make the noise go away aswell.

The chirp can be heard when hitting very small bumps at low speeds, at initial brake application and at times when you enter/exit the vehicle. It’s not your normal brake squeal, it’s a very metallic chirp noise that sounds like a cricket.
Yes, definitely sounds like a cricket or a small bird chirp. Spraying lubricant on the clips sounds like a band aid fix. I'm anxiously awaiting a call from the dealer with some feedback (again).

Jbravo106

Reaction score
I have my 20 Bighorn in the shop for a 5k service. I’m wondering what they can find that could be making the chirp. I also found a module can loose from the bottom of the passenger seat and was hitting the jack equipment.

Jbravo106

Reaction score
Yes, definitely sounds like a cricket or a small bird chirp. Spraying lubricant on the clips sounds like a band aid fix. I'm anxiously awaiting a call from the dealer with some feedback (again).
My dealer said the couldn’t hear the chirp. I find that hard to believe it happens so often with different driving situations,even backing to forward and visa versa. They would have heard it just pulling it into the shop. Hope you get some info to pass along.

Users who are viewing this thread