5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welp the new rear glass lasted about a year. Now it’s leaking worse than ever.

My used beat to **** 95 Chevy s-10 somehow managed to stay waterproof its entire life.

Pretty frustrating that both of my rear windows lasted less than a year and half.
Hey Rando,

If you're needing assistance with this, please send us a direct message. We'd be happy to get you some help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
Welp the new rear glass lasted about a year. Now it’s leaking worse than ever.

My used beat to **** 95 Chevy s-10 somehow managed to stay waterproof its entire life.

Pretty frustrating that both of my rear windows lasted less than a year and half.
Looks like I joined the WTF club again as well. It hasn't been a year yet and I just saw the leak after we had a cold spell and a rainstorm. No cracks this time, so maybe I'll look for a DIY fix. Trying to avoid the hassle of getting my window tinted for a 3rd time. I have the Mopar extended warranty, but heard that they won't cover.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I joined the WTF club again as well. It hasn't been a year yet and I just saw the leak after we had a cold spell and a rainstorm. No cracks this time, so maybe I'll look for a DIY fix. Trying to avoid the hassle of getting my window tinted for a 3rd time. I have the Mopar extended warranty, but heard that they won't cover.

There is a class-action lawsuit about this. I don't have the link handy, but do a search. Toss your name in.

(FWIW, I'm going to ask for my tint and my dashcam mount (single-use adhesive on the rear window) to be covered by Mopar. I have low expectations.)

yellowboy

Reaction score
There is a class-action lawsuit about this. I don't have the link handy, but do a search. Toss your name in.

(FWIW, I'm going to ask for my tint and my dashcam mount (single-use adhesive on the rear window) to be covered by Mopar. I have low expectations.)
I found lawsuit but nowhere where I can put my name in I hope someone will post link

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you're experiencing a leak with your window, please reach out to us via direct messaging! We'd be happy to get you some help.

Callie
Ram Cares

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
So it's still raining where I live and I am very concerned to see it wet where the airbag indicators are. We have a few more days of storms and unfortunately, it would take some major re-organization to get this bad boy to fit all the way into the garage. After stressing out, I pulled rear end first into the garage and was gonna tarp the back of the cab.

While looking at the roof, I then started wondering about the shark fin. I have heard others also complain about this, but I thought no way. A truck with under 25000 miles and just over 3.5 years old shouldn't be leaking there. Surely this thing is tight and is using a quality gasket system. NOPE. I saw a video where someone used painters tape, so I did the same thing. As it seems, the headliner is dryer. I do have the MVP Max care warranty, but it seems leaks are not covered. Since I am worried about the airbags, I did reach out to RamCares. We'll see what happens.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't let the water keep leaking in, run some tape around the third brake light and across the top of the window, Does the trick and keeps the water out until you can get it fixed.

1670286627765.png

Last edited:

countrylawyer

Reaction score
Having read about everyone's issues with the sliding rear glass, I was alert to the possibility of cracking and leaks after buying my used Ram. I noticed cracks shortly after buying it, but didn't notice leaks until this fall. Rather than go through the hassle of repeated leaks and failing sliding glass, I decided to have a local glass shop put in a heated fixed rear glass window for $460 (it would have been $560 if I had not removed the rear seat myself.) My goal wasn't to save money, exactly, but I would have been pretty upset to go through the expense and hassle of having a new sliding window put in only to have cracking and leaks recur. I'm hopeful that by going with a fixed glass replacement, I don't have any future issues.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Having read about everyone's issues with the sliding rear glass, I was alert to the possibility of cracking and leaks after buying my used Ram. I noticed cracks shortly after buying it, but didn't notice leaks until this fall. Rather than go through the hassle of repeated leaks and failing sliding glass, I decided to have a local glass shop put in a heated fixed rear glass window for $460 (it would have been $560 if I had not removed the rear seat myself.) My goal wasn't to save money, exactly, but I would have been pretty upset to go through the expense and hassle of having a new sliding window put in only to have cracking and leaks recur. I'm hopeful that by going with a fixed glass replacement, I don't have any future issues.
Great idea. I never used my rear sliding window anyway.

Rando

Reaction score
That is definitely worth considering. I have an appointment with my dealer next week…see how that goes. I rarely use the rear window.

Does anyone know if fixed windows have similar water issues?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is definitely worth considering. I have an appointment with my dealer next week…see how that goes. I rarely use the rear window.

There has been reports of replacement windows leaking in the same area as original.

2020GCM

Reaction score
Do the fixed rear windows have a similar plastic frame around it as the slider?

Rough-N-Ready

Reaction score
I took my 2020 1500 to the dealer for a misfire. While it was parked in the dealer's lot, there was a big rainstorm and the dealer discovered that the cab was full of water and the carpet is mildewy.
Upon further inspection, they found the rear window frame is cracked allowing water into the vehicle.
They say my truck is out of warranty so I'd have to pay for replacing the window and carpet etc out of pocket and quoted me over $4,400.
This is absolutely ridiculous. No way am I paying over 1/10th of what I paid for the truck because of manufacturing/design defects.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I took my 2020 1500 to the dealer for a misfire. While it was parked in the dealer's lot, there was a big rainstorm and the dealer discovered that the cab was full of water and the carpet is mildewy.
Upon further inspection, they found the rear window frame is cracked allowing water into the vehicle.
They say my truck is out of warranty so I'd have to pay for replacing the window and carpet etc out of pocket and quoted me over $4,400.
This is absolutely ridiculous. No way am I paying over 1/10th of what I paid for the truck because of manufacturing/design defects.
That's crazy, regardless of how it happened when on their lot, in their possession they are responsible.

Rando

Reaction score

Update:

My dealer conducted a water intrusion test…aka: a hose out back :) and ordered another replacement window.

I will give credit where due. Both my dealer lees summit, Mo Chrysler dodge jeep ram and @RamCares have been extremely responsive to my issue. They replaced the first window a year or so ago and are in the process to replace again. I don’t love having the rear cab completely tossed over but whatcha gonna do. Last time they failed to tighten the seatbelt bolt.

I just hope that ram has worked with the window supplier or modified the install instructions or whatever the issue may be to prevent annual window failures :/

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember, and I'm back at work without access to my paperwork... when Ram replaces these rear windows, do they warranty the replacement (above/beyond the normal basic warranty)?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I’m back too- rear Bakelite cracked and window was already replaced, then 3rd brake light assembly yet again in March of this year.

Carpets are soaked, trim shows beaded water leaking out and drips/runs on the seats.

3rd time I’ll be visiting my local Ram for the same issue - amongst many other issues since 2019…

Expect a message in the morning @RamCares ; I’ll post some photos and video up too, currently running a dehumidifier to avoid further issues.

Users who are viewing this thread