5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SupermanDad

Reaction score
Add me to the list now. I thought I was going to avoid this issue but here we are almost 3 years later. Messaged @RamCares. Im at 44k miles so I know the limited warranty wont help but it should be covered. (2020 1500 limited)

I am at 36,000 miles on my 2019 and just found rear window cracked on both sides. I took it to the dealership and was just told it was out of warranty. They said I would have to reach out to @RamCares But I have not gotten a response yet. I was just going to ask if they assisted you with getting this repair done? Hoping they contact me soon!

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
So it's still raining where I live and I am very concerned to see it wet where the airbag indicators are. We have a few more days of storms and unfortunately, it would take some major re-organization to get this bad boy to fit all the way into the garage. After stressing out, I pulled rear end first into the garage and was gonna tarp the back of the cab.

While looking at the roof, I then started wondering about the shark fin. I have heard others also complain about this, but I thought no way. A truck with under 25000 miles and just over 3.5 years old shouldn't be leaking there. Surely this thing is tight and is using a quality gasket system. NOPE. I saw a video where someone used painters tape, so I did the same thing. As it seems, the headliner is dryer. I do have the MVP Max care warranty, but it seems leaks are not covered. Since I am worried about the airbags, I did reach out to RamCares. We'll see what happens.

Soooo, my apologies this will be long, but I need to share/vent. I have my situation finally resolved, but the path to resolution was bumpy. Looking back, it is both very sad and funny. My window has already been replaced and that didn't appear to be the cause of my leak, so I taped around the 3rd brake light and the shark fin. The leak stopped, so now I had to wait for an appt, 3 weeks out.

Appointment day finally made it on Dec 30th, so with my RamCares case # in hand, I took it in. End of day they say no leak detected. We have storms coming, so I am like, please check again-you can keep over weekend. End of day on Monday Jan 2nd, they still can't find a leak. Ok, so maybe a fluke. I get truck and see the tape job I did was not touched o_O! Go back in and advise you really can't do a leak test if you don't remove the tape I did to stop the leak. Jaw drops from service adviser, so they take the truck another day to test.

Jan 3rd, end of day. So yes, we found the leak. The 3rd brake light was sketchy, so they fixed that just in case. That was looked at when window was fixed last year, but no charge, so sweet. However, the antenna fin is where the leak is coming from. I am told that it looked like something hit my antenna and caused the roof to warp, so it doesn't sit flush. Am referred to a body shop, WTF!! They say they tried to tighten, but bolt is bent, 2nd WTF!! I am even sent a picture that shows an impact mark on the fin. My roof is spotless with no scratches, but something hit my fin so hard it caused bent metal or roof warp??? I ask are they sure that's not tape residue. Adviser said he asked the same thing and was told no. So I google how to lower headliner, maybe something I can fix on my own, then go get truck.

I get all the way home and check roof, another storm is coming. Pissed off moment #1. Cargo lights no longer come on. Blown fuse or maybe they didn't reconnect properly. Pissed off moment #2. The so called impact mark that I scratch with my finger is tape residue. Get some goo gone and the antenna is immaculate. Call and ask for the service manager to go over what is going on. Apologizes and asks when it's convenient for me to bring back in and talk to him directly. It's now Jan 4th and I am assured I will be taken care of.

Today, Jan 5th, I have a new antenna installed at no cost (the old one was just loose, they really couldn't explain why the new one fit tighter), working cargo lights and no leaks.:) Fingers crossed till the next rainy season.

BTW... I emailed my RamCares advocate my status during this process and left 2 messages. No response!!!!

Last edited:

Kewlone2gq

Reaction score
Oh, if anyone knows. Since it got wet where the airbag covers are, should I be worried? I know there is an access screw behind it, but are there any sensors? I expect any damage to be covered due to a bad shark fin attachment design.

Attachments

• Airbag.jpeg
    Airbag.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 40

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
*Tried to reply to @SupermanDad with quotes but the website isnt cooperating.*

Ramcares replied back but told me they couldn’t proceed without a previous or future appointment confirming with a diagnosis (as if a picture and historical data from this post wasn’t enough, but I digress). I went to my local Ram service center and the tech confirmed the issue. I messaged them letting them know the results, I also was told by the tech to call (1-800-521-9922) to see if I could get assistance as this isnt the only one he’s seen and has had some success with the FCA hotline helping out with the repair either covering all of it or leaving $4-500 as a “deductible”.

I called the number and spoke with someone, they notated what the issue was and what the tech had said. She told me to proceed with the repair and pay out of pocket (service center is quoting me $1500+ at the moment and they didn't tell me which part #) and then submit for reimbursement through that same hotline. She told me that sometimes they cover it 100% other times it’s just a partial amount and at worst they wont cover it at all. She told me that shes seen this repair be reimbursed before so she said the chances are in my favor? (Thanks?) I messaged Ramcares updating them on what happened and they asked for a case number, which I was never given. I was just told by the rep that it was attached to my VIN.

Im dropping the truck off to be repaired Tuesday morning (1/10) and the service center wont even be the ones performing the repair it will be a local glass shop. This is the 4th event of water getting in the cab (windshield, GPS antenna, 3rd brake light, now the window) its insane. I purchased the MAXCares warranty with Ram and the CS rep said the rear window leaking is a defect and should be covered by Ram, but it’s unfortunately not covered with my extended warranty. Ill update you guys with whatever happens next.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all of these leaks I’ve done the same as my previous 2020 truck and sealed around the antenna and third brake light with clear silicone as a preventative measure. My new house is over 3 hours from the nearest dealer and I don’t feel like dealing with this again.

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
Got a fun update.

“ We were able to locate case number 85067989 which was opened on your behalf regarding this. At this time, this case has been closed and declined for warranty coverage. We are unable to overturn this decision, however we do see that your case manager recommended submitting for reimbursement. We recommend submitting for reimbursement upon completion of repair.”

I wasn’t even told on the phone it was “denied” I was just told the only potential resolution was to try and submit for reimbursement. Keep in mind I called this hotline AFTER I contacted Ramcares. Makes me feel like I have no chance of reimbursement. Thanks Ram! Hope this shines some light on what “help” Ram provides.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this still a problem on 2022's or did they implement a fix?

Supposedly, the "fix" was implemented in mid-2019 model year production. Obviously, it didn't work. (The frame cracking that's visible from inside the cab may be fixed, but not the leak.)

My 2021 took about a year to show a leak.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Supposedly, the "fix" was implemented in mid-2019 model year production. Obviously, it didn't work. (The frame cracking that's visible from inside the cab may be fixed, but not the leak.)

My 2021 took about a year to show a leak.
I guess I'll go but some sealant this weekend. Looks like a pretty easy fix and not all that emotional if you don't already have a leak.

I wonder if the different third brake light makes a difference? I have the camera rear view mirror and night edition. my third brake light housing is much larger and protrudes out from the cab.

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
Update from yesterday/today:

Rear window was replaced through Tempe Ram, Gold star auto glass did the repair and broke the c pillar trim piece in half below the seatbelt mount. Tempe Ram is making them pay for the replacement. They also broke the seat rail clip and another plastic clip and didnt mount the carpet correctly. Once they get the part in the service team will make sure things were put back together correctly since they let the Auto glass company take it apart and put it back together. This was yesterday 1/12

Today 1/13 I contacted the FCA hotline for the reimbursement of the repair. I was told once I send in my invoice that it will take about 30-60 days to process it, no details on the probability of me being reimbursed the whole amount, partial or at all . Once I hear back I will update this thread. The repair cost $1,618.84 and I will still need to re-tint the rear window (scheduled for next week) and take it back to the dealership to button everything up correctly.

Small annoyance, the new glass didnt have the “Ram Air Suspension” decal so I had to order that separately. Silly I know, but I like the stock look, and liked that it was there.

The Critic

Reaction score
Joining the club - 2020 with 24K, the crack appeared last week. Some water droplets were noticed as well.
Dealer looked at the vehicle and ordered a window, but it is shipping direct from the vendor, so 10 days out.

Rando

Reaction score
Still waiting on my new window. Was supposed to be in on the 10th. Backordered apparently. Calling for an updated status tomorrow
Same here. My dealer “ordered” it 6 weeks ago. Took a week of calling to get an update. They stated snow is causing shipping delays???

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Supposed to take it in this Wednesday. Won’t get it back till Thursday sometime if all goes to plan. Of course we have snow in the forecast Wednesday. Will see what happens lol

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If you'd like some assistance with this, please reach out! We'd love to get some cases started for you guys regarding this issue and see if we can help! We're available via DM.

Callie
Ram Cares

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Just dropped mine off today. Should be done tomorrow they hope. As do I. Got put in a 6.4L 2500 as a loaner. Everything is being done under goodwill policy. So I have to say I’m pleased so far. Just ready to be done with anymore leak issues

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Just got mine back today. I could smell whatever the sealant was they used. Used the rear slider to make sure it was working properly. All looks good. I think I’ll put some permatex in the top groove later, but I’m also debating waiting until it leaks again… idk. I think it might be best to be proactive on this

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would wait until its needed last thing you wanna do is add more sealant on top of whatever sealant they used and it not be compatible with each other and defeats the purpose but thats just my $.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online