5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I’m back too- rear Bakelite cracked and window was already replaced, then 3rd brake light assembly yet again in March of this year.

Carpets are soaked, trim shows beaded water leaking out and drips/runs on the seats.

3rd time I’ll be visiting my local Ram for the same issue - amongst many other issues since 2019…

Expect a message in the morning @RamCares ; I’ll post some photos and video up too, currently running a dehumidifier to avoid further issues.
Hey @TruckDriver ,

Yes, please message us! We're sorry to see this and hope to get you some resolution!

Callie
Ram Cares

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its sad thats its a wide spread known issue and that the only thing fca does it keep replacing the bad windows assembly with the same crappy part that they know will break again...

im dreaming but wouldn it be nice if they would come out with a replacement part that doesnt break anymore or at least last more then 2 to 3 years..

Therealdarkknight

Reaction score
Add me to the list now. I thought I was going to avoid this issue but here we are almost 3 years later. Messaged @RamCares. Im at 44k miles so I know the limited warranty wont help but it should be covered. (2020 1500 limited)

Attachments

• BF6FEDA8-5B54-4A8B-B673-D31AF9A4941C.jpeg
    BF6FEDA8-5B54-4A8B-B673-D31AF9A4941C.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 47

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list now. I thought I was going to avoid this issue but here we are almost 3 years later. Messaged @RamCares. Im at 44k miles so I know the limited warranty wont help but it should be covered. (2020 1500 limited)
Hey there,

DM received! We look forward to assisting you!

Callie
Ram Cares

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Watched this guy seal on top of the sliding window. Hard to tell if his frame is cracked tho. Would this prevent water coming in if the frame cracks?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The class-action lawsuit should recompense every owner who has had this done, the cost (if any paid), AND a "consideration" for time and vehicle being out of use.

Additionally, every rear window should be granted a 10 year/120,000mile warranty.

In case any lawyer is looking at this thread during discovery. ;)

Or if Ram wants to keep customers. :(

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The class-action lawsuit should recompense every owner who has had this done, the cost (if any paid), AND a "consideration" for time and vehicle being out of use.

Additionally, every rear window should be granted a 10 year/120,000mile warranty.

In case any lawyer is looking at this thread during discovery. ;)

Or if Ram wants to keep customers. :(
that last part would be nice

yellowboy

Reaction score
I had my window replaced a couple of years ago under warranty and it still leaked. After 4 repair attempts at the dealer they called in a company in called The Glass Doctor and it stopped but I don't know what they did. Since the replacement window is still the OLD part number I am waiting for the inevitable. Once prices come down a little on new trucks this POS will be leaving my house on the top of a Carmax trailer. I'll post pics of that for your (mostly my) enjoyment.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday. A bit of a fiasco...only due to the lack of comms. Apparently, the glass company (the dealer outsourced it to a VERY well-regarded auto glass company) needed my Retrax tonneau cover removed. No one told me. Shrug.

So, early this morning I got my rear ceramic film re-applied. (Another shout-out to Innovative Solar Control in Clemmons, NC. Awesome guys.)

This afternoon, I applied 2 full tubes of Permatex Flowable Silicon Window Sealant. Umm...1 3/4 is probably enough. ;) I taped, and put some foam in the channel where it turns down, but still had a little too much in there. Oops. 20 minutes of elbow grease application solved that.

I'll post a pic later. Not too much to see, to be honest.

Big rains this weekend, so we'll see. Between the new window and the extra silicon I added, I hope this is never again an issue.

But Ram needs to step up and fix this mess.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday. A bit of a fiasco...only due to the lack of comms. Apparently, the glass company (the dealer outsourced it to a VERY well-regarded auto glass company) needed my Retrax tonneau cover removed. No one told me. Shrug.

So, early this morning I got my rear ceramic film re-applied. (Another shout-out to Innovative Solar Control in Clemmons, NC. Awesome guys.)

This afternoon, I applied 2 full tubes of Permatex Flowable Silicon Window Sealant. Umm...1 3/4 is probably enough. ;) I taped, and put some foam in the channel where it turns down, but still had a little too much in there. Oops. 20 minutes of elbow grease application solved that.

I'll post a pic later. Not too much to see, to be honest.

Big rains this weekend, so we'll see. Between the new window and the extra silicon I added, I hope this is never again an issue.

But Ram needs to step up and fix this mess.
Hope you got it with this, and I think it should be good.

I read somewhere that the cracks happen more where there’s freezing temperatures because the water freezes in the channels and expands, therefore cracking the frame.

Any truth to this?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I read somewhere that the cracks happen more where there’s freezing temperatures because the water freezes in the channels and expands, therefore cracking the frame.

Any truth to this?
My wife and I are thinking this might be the case, at least for us. Ours didn't leak until just after a couple of freezes. It never had the visible cracks and leaked at both sides of the window. I'm back at work now, but the wife is keeping an eye on it after this last freeze Central FL just had.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Any truth to this?

Could be.
Mine is a 2021. It went through the winter of 21/22 just fine. But this fall, after a few good freeze/thaw cycles is when I noticed the leak. No visible frame cracking.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Discovered a leak on my 2020 bighorn at 39,500 miles. Passenger top corner had water dribbling in. I had also smelled a musty smell but thought it was from the heat being turned on. Pushing on the window frame you could see water coming out. We had just had abnormal below 0 weather here in Arkansas. So possibly the cold contributed. I don’t have a crack at all in the frame that I can tell. No headliner stains.

Dealer thought it was 3rd brake light. They tested after modifying it and discovered it was still leaking. So has to be a failure of the window seal. During the test it started leaking in the center of the window also. Thankfully Chrysler is going to cover it apparently with a goodwill policy since I’m barely out of warranty. Also I’m the 2nd owner so I thought that was good of them. Helps that the local dealer here is pretty well known too.

I just hope the new one will hold up and nothing is damaged during the installation. If the new one leaks I’m going to just seal it myself and hope for the best. Ridiculous how widespread this issue is. GM has bad problems with it also. I just feel fortunate that I discovered it when I did. Put painters tape on it until the new one arrives.

Attachments

• 7533625E-5111-4E99-9E12-6BBDF6788EA3.jpeg
    7533625E-5111-4E99-9E12-6BBDF6788EA3.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread