5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have the issue, and I hope I never will. Pretty sure there will never be a recall because this isn't a safety issue right?
Correct if they did do something it would likely be called a customer satisfaction campaign or something similar.

hemiguy37

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited, purchased in June 2018, one of the first. Ordered directly from the factory and has been great. Noticed the other week I had water stains on the headliner in the rear seat area. Took to the dealer, said the window was leaking. (I do not have the crack in the frame) The want $500 for Safelite to come in and remove and reseal the window. Does this sound right? I have read that many are having their rear windows replaced. I have the lifetime warranty, but the window is not covered. Very frustrating that the headliner is all stained and I could end up with fix that may or may not be permanent, based on others on this forum. I am hopeful it will work. Not to mention getting the stains out so does not affect resale when and if I ever go to sell the truck. Not planning on it, but still.

@RamCares - Can you escalate and see if there is any help available??

Amazing93

Reaction score
Lo ng story short dealer installed an old window yesterday manufacturered 9/2020 part ending in AC. Supposed to be installing windows manufacturered after 11/26/2020 part ending in AD. So check your windows people. Still old ones floating around that haven't been purged. Now I gotta go through this whole install again and pray my interior don't get screwed up.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I have been waiting for my window to crack on my 2019 and a few months ago I finally noticed a small crack forming in the same place everyone else's does. My bumper to bumper ends in June so today I dropped it off at the dealer to have them look at it. While the crack is no where near as big as some of those on here it was still plainly visible. Later in the day the dealer called me stating that the techs found no crack or leaks. They determined that the crack I pointed out to them was actually a seam and is supposed to be there. Nothing I could tell him did any good. On the plus side while it was there I mentioned the A/C TSB and they concluded that there is an 8 degree difference in the driver's and passenger side vents so they ordered the parts needed for that.

Attachments

• 20220511_182029.jpg
    20220511_182029.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220511_182045.jpg
    20220511_182045.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 74

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Definitely a crack there. You can see it runs all the way up to the headliner. If it's not leaking now I'm sure it probably will soon.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have the issue, and I hope I never will. Pretty sure there will never be a recall because this isn't a safety issue right?
Recalls are only for safety related concerns. We have TSB and STAR cases for concerns that are not safety related. We are not able to speculate regarding possible future TSB or STAR cases.

Rob
Ram Cares

Scram1500

Reaction score
After a few years when the water intrusion corrodes the air bags in the headliner and they don't go off or go off unexpectedly, it will be a recall

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited, purchased in June 2018, one of the first. Ordered directly from the factory and has been great. Noticed the other week I had water stains on the headliner in the rear seat area. Took to the dealer, said the window was leaking. (I do not have the crack in the frame) The want $500 for Safelite to come in and remove and reseal the window. Does this sound right? I have read that many are having their rear windows replaced. I have the lifetime warranty, but the window is not covered. Very frustrating that the headliner is all stained and I could end up with fix that may or may not be permanent, based on others on this forum. I am hopeful it will work. Not to mention getting the stains out so does not affect resale when and if I ever go to sell the truck. Not planning on it, but still.

@RamCares - Can you escalate and see if there is any help available??
Greetings,
We would like to look into this situation further for you and see if there is any opportunity to assist. Please feel free to send our team a private message with additional details.

Rob
Ram Cares

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Recalls are only for safety related concerns. We have TSB and STAR cases for concerns that are not safety related. We are not able to speculate regarding possible future TSB or STAR cases.

Rob
Ram Cares
I thought so thanks. Does this mean we have to pay out of pocket for a STAR case if the vehicle is out of warranty?

Synergy26

Reaction score
I can't believe they haven't changed the design to a metal frame or add more support to he area that keeps breaking

KRField

Reaction score

Rob
Ram Cares

Then further investigation needs to be done as there are electronics on that back wall that affect vehicle operations. I know one of water intrusion points are right above the RF module. Water and electronics do not mix. The NHTSA just hasn’t made you perform a costly recall on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75Jimmy

Reaction score
Had a cracked rear window replaced back in May 2020, and well, it happened again. Was washing my truck, and noticed dribbles coming through a crack on the plastic window frame. Looked closely and sure enough, it's cracked on both sides of the sliding glass. Took my truck into the dealer, photos were taken and 2 weeks go by without a peep. I keep trying to call the dealer and can't seem to get hold of anyone. I leave VMs, nobody calls me back. Getting pretty annoyed. I sold my FJ Cruiser because it seemed like I was going through windshields every year. Looks like I should expect to go through rear windows annually with the Ram.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a cracked rear window replaced back in May 2020, and well, it happened again. Was washing my truck, and noticed dribbles coming through a crack on the plastic window frame. Looked closely and sure enough, it's cracked on both sides of the sliding glass. Took my truck into the dealer, photos were taken and 2 weeks go by without a peep. I keep trying to call the dealer and can't seem to get hold of anyone. I leave VMs, nobody calls me back. Getting pretty annoyed. I sold my FJ Cruiser because it seemed like I was going through windshields every year. Looks like I should expect to go through rear windows annually with the Ram.
nothing ****ing pisses me off more than when I call someone repeatedly and then don't answer and don't return phone calls. Same with text messages.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Welp, add me to the list. At this point I’m not surprised, and it sucks to say that. The list since buying this truck in November is around 15(?) items long, some are still waiting parts, etc.

Cracked frame, water leaking in.

Attachments

• 58F5F2AF-94D6-41BB-A39C-4BC79EBBF2A7.jpeg
    58F5F2AF-94D6-41BB-A39C-4BC79EBBF2A7.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 8B337497-8540-42BE-AD7C-000432E1EE14.jpeg
    8B337497-8540-42BE-AD7C-000432E1EE14.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 51

pMak26

Reaction score
My mid year 2019 built Ram just had the rear window replaced last week.
Part number used: 68426398ae

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
My mid year 2019 built Ram just had the rear window replaced last week.
Part number used: 68426398ae
Curious to know if that was covered or not, I phoned my dealership and they said that they didn’t know. My truck is roughly the same age.

Users who are viewing this thread