5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on doing the same. I'm still skeptical that it includes the screen, but we will see. That's the cheapest I've found it.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
That is absolutely, without a doubt, the 12” display screen. There’s nothing else it would be because the screen itself contains all the controls. This is the same part number that dozens of people have gotten when doing the upgrade from 5” or 8.4” radio to the 12” radio.

St-na

Reaction score
Where did you order through and what part number? That’s a crazy cheap price.
Attached order confirmation with all details

Attachments

• Complete your Purchase.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 142

St-na

Reaction score
Thank you for this! And to be clear you are trying to add just ACC and lane sense?
For the moment yes, but considering great support in this group, also thinking about auto parking.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan on doing the same. I'm still skeptical that it includes the screen, but we will see. That's the cheapest I've found it.

FYI I spent time to confirm this is what you should need. Part number: 68312620AG does in fact include the screen and both lane sense and auto park buttons at the top. This link actually includes photos of the part(s).

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered the switch for ACC and should have it in about a week. While at the dealer, I asked the parts guy to look up the number on the HCU on my truck and several others on here; it didn't even come up in StarParts. So we looked up what should be configured on my truck from the factory using my VIN, and it came back as 68415317AA for the HCU and 68436461AH for the ABS Module which is not what is on my truck. Before leaving I went out and checked a brand new '21 Limited that has the Level 1 package which includes ACC, Lane Sense, etc....it has the same HCU as my truck (68438453AC). So for around $70 for the switch, I guess in a week we will find out if @Jimmy07 is correct (which he almost always is) and that the modules currently on my truck will function with ACC.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered the switch for ACC and should have it in about a week. While at the dealer, I asked the parts guy to look up the number on the HCU on my truck and several others on here; it didn't even come up in StarParts. So we looked up what should be configured on my truck from the factory using my VIN, and it came back as 68415317AA for the HCU and 68436461AH for the ABS Module which is not what is on my truck. Before leaving I went out and checked a brand new '21 Limited that has the Level 1 package which includes ACC, Lane Sense, etc....it has the same HCU as my truck (68438453AC). So for around $70 for the switch, I guess in a week we will find out if @Jimmy07 is correct (which he almost always is) and that the modules currently on my truck will function with ACC.
Wouldn't that be great if all it requires was the switch and configuring the BCM. That would be a worthwhile upgrade for me. Even though disassembling the steering wheel doesn't sound like much fun...

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be great if all it requires was the switch and configuring the BCM. That would be a worthwhile upgrade for me. Even though disassembling the steering wheel doesn't sound like much fun...

Hoping it is as simple as the switch and BCM changes. Removing the wheel isn't that difficult, there are some good videos online for it. The most important thing is to leave the nut on a couple threads so if the wheel comes off rather quickly, it doesn't rip out any connectors. If you use a puller it should be even simpler. I'm going to swap sides on the audio controls whenever I have it apart as well. For the life of me I can't find the thread that detailed it though, but I'll figure it out.

St-na

Reaction score
Hoping it is as simple as the switch and BCM changes. Removing the wheel isn't that difficult, there are some good videos online for it. The most important thing is to leave the nut on a couple threads so if the wheel comes off rather quickly, it doesn't rip out any connectors. If you use a puller it should be even simpler. I'm going to swap sides on the audio controls whenever I have it apart as well. For the life of me I can't find the thread that detailed it though, but I'll figure it out.
Also wondering about removing the wheel. Do we have wiring for the switch inside?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI I spent time to confirm this is what you should need. Part number: 68312620AG does in fact include the screen and both lane sense and auto park buttons at the top. This link actually includes photos of the part(s).

Ordered. Working on getting the new windshield.

St-na

Reaction score
Please advice where did You buy ACC switch. Originally tbd021 mentioned part 68309592AC, but this part seems to be discontinued and we have to buy 68309592AD: https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/78275277/68309592AD.html correct?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please advice where did You buy ACC switch. Originally tbd021 mentioned part 68309592AC, but this part seems to be discontinued and we have to buy 68309592AD: https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/78275277/68309592AD.html correct?

I used the updated part number provided by Jimmy07. They change revisions so frequently it seems, that as long as the numerical portion is correct, the revision (letters) aren’t that big of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the updated part number provided by Jimmy07. They change revisions so frequently it seems, that as long as the numerical portion is correct, the revision (letters) aren’t that big of a deal.

Curious to see how your experience goes. If you end up putting that switch in and configuring the BCM that will have to be close to the top of my mods list. Thanks for taking the dive on this one to see if it works.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to see how your experience goes. If you end up putting that switch in and configuring the BCM that will have to be close to the top of my mods list. Thanks for taking the dive on this one to see if it works.

If it doesn’t work, I’m really curious as to what else would be different seeing as the Limited I looked at with the safety group has the same part number on the HCU as us. Only thing I could think would be if they used that one standard on all the 21’s, that maybe the ABS module is different, but that would be odd. I would like to know what the description of that part number is, but so far not even the dealer can pull it up, and it doesn’t match the part number listed against my VIN.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it doesn’t work, I’m really curious as to what else would be different seeing as the Limited I looked at with the safety group has the same part number on the HCU as us. Only thing I could think would be if they used that one standard on all the 21’s, that maybe the ABS module is different, but that would be odd. I would like to know what the description of that part number is, but so far not even the dealer can pull it up, and it doesn’t match the part number listed against my VIN.

I agree, it would be hard to believe if it did work considering we had the same parts as that limited.

tdb0021

Reaction score

From a manufacturer's perspective, i would think having 1 module that can do ACC and regular would be better than having to worry about 2 separate modules. I know that the ACC ABS/HCU has no negative effects on the truck if not using for ACC.

All this being said, i think the odds are in your favor that you do have the correct ABS/HCU already in your truck.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From a manufacturer's perspective, i would think having 1 module that can do ACC and regular would be better than having to worry about 2 separate modules. I know that the ACC ABS/HCU has no negative effects on the truck if not using for ACC.

All this being said, i think the odds are in your favor that you do have the correct ABS/HCU already in your truck.

I agree it would make sense for them to just have one set of parts to do both jobs. I wonder if the whole COVID situation that’s affected other parts led them to just standardize HCU’s across the board. I should’ve looked at a base model bighorn yesterday to see if it has the same part number as well.

St-na

Reaction score
Turned on the lane departure with alphaobd last night. The two setting options show in Uconnect now, however it was not operational on my way to work this morning. I'm betting the key to making it work is having the hard key on the center stack installed, unless it requires some type of initialization.
I have no experience with AlphaOBD yet, which hardware have You used? Youtube is confusing, do we need a by-pass cable? Did You change only one parameter in alfaOBD? If I follow PDF instruction from tbd0021 correctly for our case (to turn on ACC and lane assist) we need to change 8 parameters:
Cruise Control Present: No
Lane Departure Warning Present: Yes
Type of adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system present: ACC with stop and go
Lane Departure Torque CSM Present: Yes
Lane Departure Warning CSM Present: Yes
LDW On/Off CSM Present: No
ACC Adaptive Cruise Control: Not enabled
ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control/Driver Assistance Module: Enabled

Users who are viewing this thread