5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no experience with AlphaOBD yet, which hardware have You used? Youtube is confusing, do we need a by-pass cable? Did You change only one parameter in alfaOBD? If I follow PDF instruction from tbd0021 correctly for our case (to turn on ACC and lane assist) we need to change 8 parameters:
Cruise Control Present: No
Lane Departure Warning Present: Yes
Type of adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system present: ACC with stop and go
Lane Departure Torque CSM Present: Yes
Lane Departure Warning CSM Present: Yes
LDW On/Off CSM Present: No
ACC Adaptive Cruise Control: Not enabled
ACC/DASM Adaptive Cruise Control/Driver Assistance Module: Enabled
In order to make any changes to the BCM you will need alphaOBD (windows or android), an OBD interface, and a SGW bypass. Without the bypass you will only be able to view current settings. I only changed 3 settings related to the lane departure as I was only trying to see if it would enable that feature. I have not made the other changes yet as I don't have the ACC switch installed.

St-na

Reaction score
In order to make any changes to the BCM you will need alphaOBD (windows or android), an OBD interface, and a SGW bypass. Without the bypass you will only be able to view current settings. I only changed 3 settings related to the lane departure as I was only trying to see if it would enable that feature. I have not made the other changes yet as I don't have the ACC switch installed.

Thank You!
will it work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114724443310?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 There are several different types on sale.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the SGW bypass from infotainment and the OBDlink MX dongle on mine. Looks like the MX was replaced with the MX+ but I've never had an issue with them and they work great across all brands, had mine from my Mustang to use Forscan which is the FoMoCo version of AlfaOBD.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank You!
will it work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114724443310?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 There are several different types on sale.
Do not use a bypass like that. It only bypasses one of the two busses.
For the DT trucks, just use the infotainment bypass that is recommended above, as it is in a very easy location on these trucks.
For the interface, you can also use the cheaper OBDLink LX instead of the MX+. The only difference between the two is the MX+ will work with iOS scan tool apps, but AlfaOBD isn’t available for iOS anyway.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is the bypass that I use as I tried to avoid infotainment as they seem to just capitalize on others research and work.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the DT trucks, just use the infotainment bypass that is recommended above, as it is in a very easy location on these trucks.
For the interface, you can also use the cheaper OBDLink LX instead of the MX+. The only difference between the two is the MX+ will work with iOS scan tool apps, but AlfaOBD isn’t available for iOS anyway.
Thanks for posting that! I was hoping to find a cheaper OBD as the link MX+ doesn't make sense for Alfaobd.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that! I was hoping to find a cheaper OBD as the link MX+ doesn't make sense for Alfaobd.
I should also add that the MX+ is capable of Ford and GM mid speed bus, where the LX is not. If you’re using it strictly for FCA vehicles and windows/android apps, LX is fine. If you want the most versatile interface across most vehicles and platforms, the MX+ is pretty much capable of all of them.

St-na

Reaction score
I guess You are talking about: https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass?variant=8775773945892

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would not recommend that one. Yes, people have been successful making some common changes with that one, but it is not fast enough for some other settings changes. Also, there are a few modules that require separate OBD adapters to be able to connect. On these particular modules, the OBDLink products do the switching internally, but with that BAFX, you would actually need the external adapters.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually currently have that product, but it was purchased way back in 2013 so I am not too sure if it will actually work on my truck. Wonder if there is a way for me to see if it will do what I need it to do prior to purchasing Alfaobd?
If you already have that one, use it first and see. If you don’t have anything at all, and it was a choice between the two, just get it over with and get the OBDLink. I know for a fact that the OBDLink products is capable of connecting to every module on the truck, and can make every single setting change possible.

St-na

Reaction score
I would not recommend that one. Yes, people have been successful making some common changes with that one, but it is not fast enough for some other settings changes. Also, there are a few modules that require separate OBD adapters to be able to connect. On these particular modules, the OBDLink products do the switching internally, but with that BAFX, you would actually need the external adapters.
Clear. Thank You for clarification!

St-na

Reaction score
That installation procedure is for an HD Ram. The gateway on an HD is behind the instrument cluster, so it has to be removed. On the 1500 DT Rams, the gateway is right above your feet, next to the OBD port.
Ok! Thank You, I have removed the video not to confuse others.

Cesar592

Reaction score
The following is to be used as a guide on how to install ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers in your 5th Gen Ram 1500, also known as the Advanced Safety Group. I’ve also included a guide at the end of this document on how to install blind spot monitoring. Obviously, I cannot guarantee this will work on your truck, but I am confident it will. I was able to install all these features on my 2019 Ram Lonestar which originally came with an 8.4" Non-Nav Unit with Dual Climate control. I believe this can be activated on any 5th Gen, but I’m literally the first person to have done this (that I am aware of) so it’s possible there are unknown variables that will prevent activation. This install is for those that have experience with AlphaOBD and assumes you are familiar with basic terms and procedures. It is not advised to do this as your first project, but you are free to do as you want. I believe this to be a mostly complete guide, but I wrote this from memory after 8 months working on this project so some things might have slipped through the cracks. Big thanks to all those involved along the way.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate "if it's worth it" or to discourage others from spending their money how they want. Everyone has different opinions on this. I took this project on as a personal challenge to see if it was even possible and with a larger goal in mind than just these stock features.
I can't open the file you know what parts I need I have a 2020 Laramie ram 1500 with almost all the functions except acc or fcw

St-na

Reaction score
I can't open the file you know what parts I need I have a 2020 Laramie ram 1500 with almost all the functions except acc or fcw
In case of 12" screen and DASM module installed (FCW exist):
https://www.infotainment.com/products/fca-security-gateway-module-bypass?variant=8775773945892
alfaobd to be downloaded from Android play store

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't already have the DASM which controls the FCW, ACC, Lane Keep, etc... you'll need that along with a new windshield, abs module, hydraulic control unit, switch for ACC, center stack with lane sense button, along with the alfaobd program, obd reader, and a SGW bypass. It's a pretty involved process starting from scratch, and the DASM is pretty expensive at around $1,000 +\-. I would try to find a way to open the attachment so you can see if it's something you want to get in to.

St-na

Reaction score
Ordered. Working on getting the new windshield.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque
Did moparpartsinc contact You regarding Center stack order? They said to me, that 68312620AG doesn't match my VIN and they will not accept return, I believe the reason is that my track was without factory installed ACC/lane assist. I confirmed my order and asked them to proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread