5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Add Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane assist, FCW & Auto Hi-beam to Ram 1500

tdb0021

Reaction score
Here is a vin of a Laramie with the 12" screen and the advanced safety group. Also has the tech package if anyone wanted to see how much the dash with the HUD opening is. 1C6RREJT4MN628940

I would love to add a HUD. I'm sure the cost and process involved would be a huge barrier. Still going to research it though...

HookedonRam

Reaction score
So, I have 19' with front and rear sensors with auto brake does that mean I have it too?

tdb0021

Reaction score
I would love to add a HUD. I'm sure the cost and process involved would be a huge barrier. Still going to research it though...

Found the part number: 68381578AB

Wiring to it looks easy enough. No idea on the enabling the function or not, or how the dash would have to be modified. The previous truck's (before HUDs) BCM might not even be capable of activating it.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found the part number: 68381578AB

Wiring to it looks easy enough. No idea on the enabling the function or not, or how the dash would have to be modified. The previous truck's (before HUDs) BCM might not even be capable of activating it.
I know you have to have a 2021 premium cluster to plug the HUD into as it has the usb port needed. Its probable that you would need a 21 BCM as well so it might just be limited to 2021 and newer trucks at least from a ease of adding prospective. The biggest challenge is getting the correct dash top with the cutout assuming that the mount is already in place under the dash. If the mount isnt there then it could be more challenging. You can buy the projection sheets for the windshield for 3rd party HUD's so you wouldnt need to replace your windshield. After all that is figured out then just a matter of turning the function on with AlfaOBD. I'll look next time I am in there and see if the setting is there on my 21.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know you have to have a 2021 premium cluster to plug the HUD into as it has the usb port needed. Its probable that you would need a 21 BCM as well so it might just be limited to 2021 and newer trucks at least from a ease of adding prospective. The biggest challenge is getting the correct dash top with the cutout assuming that the mount is already in place under the dash. If the mount isnt there then it could be more challenging. You can buy the projection sheets for the windshield for 3rd party HUD's so you wouldnt need to replace your windshield. After all that is figured out then just a matter of turning the function on with AlfaOBD. I'll look next time I am in there and see if the setting is there on my 21.
The HUD setting is there in AlfaOBD VehConfig 8. The biggest challenge for pre-2021 trucks is going to be sourcing the cluster and radio software. You can’t just buy a new cluster, so it’ll have to be out of a wreck, and it’s hard to obtain a specific software version if there isn’t one available for your VIN.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HUD setting is there in AlfaOBD VehConfig 8. The biggest challenge for pre-2021 trucks is going to be sourcing the cluster and radio software. You can’t just buy a new cluster, so it’ll have to be out of a wreck, and it’s hard to obtain a specific software version if there isn’t one available for your VIN.
Do you happen to know the part number for the dash with the HUD opening? Unfortunately there are like 10 different dash part numbers and none of them indicate the difference between them.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now, can we add auto park.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know what part number abs module your truck currently has (use AlfaOBD to read the system status if needed)? If you have FCW+, I would think you already have the correct ABS and HCU, since they need to be able to interpret data from the DASM to automatically activate the brakes, which the standard abs module isn’t capable of.

I’ll check it out here in a bit and see what I come up with.

My search was producing different part numbers listed as with/without ACC, but you may be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a vin of a Laramie with the 12" screen and the advanced safety group. Also has the tech package if anyone wanted to see how much the dash with the HUD opening is. 1C6RREJT4MN628940

Any chance you would have one with the 8.4 nav with the safety group? I don’t have the 12 and searched all day on dealer sites but they all had 12’s that I could find.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know what part number abs module your truck currently has (use AlfaOBD to read the system status if needed)? If you have FCW+, I would think you already have the correct ABS and HCU, since they need to be able to interpret data from the DASM to automatically activate the brakes, which the standard abs module isn’t capable of.

68438453AC

I can’t find anything on it anywhere. Google returns no results nor do the parts sites.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
68438453AC

I can’t find anything on it anywhere. Google returns no results nor do the parts sites.

Hmm, was there two numbers- an ECU and hardware number? We’re they both the same?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm, was there two numbers- an ECU and hardware number? We’re they both the same?

Yes, the hardware number is there also and it is the same. I haven't found any sites yet that list 2021 parts, so perhaps they're using new ones and they just aren't available yet. Maybe a dealer can look it up.

tdb0021

Reaction score
Now, can we add auto park.
emoji23.png

So I think there is no other modules used for this other than the DASM parking sensors, and maybe blind spot radar(?) for auto park. I have enabled it all that I can find in alpha but the feature does not work on my truck.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I think there is no other modules used for this other than the DASM parking sensors, and maybe blind spot radar(?) for auto park. I have enabled it all that I can find in alpha but the feature does not work on my truck.
Do you have the button for it on the center stack? Also, does lane sense on your truck correct you back by turning your steering wheel automatically? Basically bumping you back into your lane. Or does it just give you an audio warning?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The auto park (parallel and perpendicular park assist) is actually a separate system from the DASM and blind spot functions. It is part of the park sense system, and uses a different park sense module, different front outboard sensors, and VehConfig 1 PTS configuration would be changed to Semi Automatic

tdb0021

Reaction score
The auto park (parallel and perpendicular park assist) is actually a separate system from the DASM and blind spot functions. It is part of the park sense system, and uses a different park sense module, different front outboard sensors, and VehConfig 1 PTS configuration would be changed to Semi Automatic
That is very interesting and makes sense... thanks for the info. Not interested in the feature enough to add all of that.

Do you have the button for it on the center stack? Also, does lane sense on your truck correct you back by turning your steering wheel automatically? Basically bumping you back into your lane. Or does it just give you an audio warning?

Yes, lane sense works as it does from the factory... Gently nudging the wheel back towards the center of the lane. It definitely does not keep you in the center though. It is kinda interesting having to fight the truck to switch lanes when not using the turn signals.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turned on the lane departure with alphaobd last night. The two setting options show in Uconnect now, however it was not operational on my way to work this morning. I'm betting the key to making it work is having the hard key on the center stack installed, unless it requires some type of initialization.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Turned on the lane departure with alphaobd last night. The two setting options show in Uconnect now, however it was not operational on my way to work this morning. I'm betting the key to making it work is having the hard key on the center stack installed, unless it requires some type of initialization.
You definitely need the physical button because that’s how you turn the system on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread