5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Anyone in “auto4wd” when this grinding occurs? When I first got my truck (two years ago) I recall a similar sensation when hard turning at low speed on dry pavement in 4auto. I had the diff fluid changed out of precaution when I read on this forum the factory fluid was low on a bunch of new trucks. Since then I only drive in 2wd unless the weather dictates otherwise and haven’t had any issues.
I'm going back to the dealer on Saturday for a second look at the problem. What you said makes sense. It seems to be in 2wd and cold when it happens. I also have a problem in 4wd auto with binding while turning. I just thought it was a Ram thing. I know my Toyo and Chevy never bound like that in 4wd auto. I'll give the fluid check a shot!

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Update from dealer appointment Saturday. So I had them check my from differential oil level and it was fine. I also had them check the rack which was fine as well. The service manager did say though that RAM is working on a fix once they figure out what it is. So, they are aware of this problem and its documented twice now for me coming in for it. Keeping fingers crossed! Leaning more towards some sort of front axle issue now from the sounds I'm hearing.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I have driven about 600 miles since getting new tires and haven't had the problem return yet.

speedracernc

Reaction score
Speedracernc, same. I can’t get mine to come back after new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if the problem is with the crappy good year tires. Maybe that's why they don't have a "fix" for it. The fix is have everyone wait until their tires get changed.

sputnic6

Reaction score
I’m giving pirelli scorpion verde all season plus ll tires a try. So far the are very comfortable, look like stock tires and are wearing good.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I’m giving pirelli scorpion verde all season plus ll tires a try. So far the are very comfortable, look like stock tires and are wearing good.

I looked at those also but I decided on the A/T tire for looks mostly. Surprisingly they are less noisy than the crappy good years.

sputnic6

Reaction score
Also figured out why the Goodyear tires wore so bad. They needed to be rotated every 3k miles and should have been rotated in an x pattern because of shoulder feathering. Will be doing this with the new tires.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
I tow a 6000lb camper and hated the Goodyears! Way too squishy, had to pump them up to max to get any kind of stability and wore them out early, oh well!! Going with Bridgestone AT Revo 3's LTs. Have used LTs on previous trucks and prefer them for towing.

fmathey

Reaction score
I am running a new set of BFG T/A KO2 in 275x60R20. 1 inch larger, great in the snow and looks great on the truck.

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
@RamCares i am at approximately 37k miles on my truck and have this issue. I really hope RAM will cover this problem even though I am over the 36k warranty. Can I get some assistance please?

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I switched to michelins and haven't notices this since, although it very rarely did it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares i am at approximately 37k miles on my truck and have this issue. I really hope RAM will cover this problem even though I am over the 36k warranty. Can I get some assistance please?
We certainly are happy to help! Please send over a private message with your VIN. We would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for additional support in getting this concern resolved for you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Kadams

Reaction score
My 2020 Limited does the same thing. I plan to have it addressed soon. Not surprised to have steering concerns since my 2019 had steering problems as well but not the same. This makes two 5th gens with multiple issues for me. Pretty frustrating.
I just dropped my 2019 limited off at the dealership for the 3rd time for that same issue. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/