5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

Charon

Reaction score
Just want to update, 5000 miles later I still do not have the grinding noise after having my rack replaced.
Turning off the traction control might be a different issue or just a bandaid, either way the truck is meant to have it.
changing tires is definitely a bandaid for a bigger issue somewhere.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Just want to update, 5000 miles later I still do not have the grinding noise after having my rack replaced.
Turning off the traction control might be a different issue or just a bandaid, either way the truck is meant to have it.
changing tires is definitely a bandaid for a bigger issue somewhere.
Agreed absolutely. Now to get the dealer to agree to change out the rack under warranty. How did you convince them? I was told to let it keep happening until something breaks!

Charon

Reaction score
Agreed absolutely. Now to get the dealer to agree to change out the rack under warranty. How did you convince them? I was told to let it keep happening until something breaks!
Sadly there's not too much you can do about a crap dealer. Luckily for me I got to try 3 different dealers on my travels through the west although an inconvenience for the journey, I probably wouldn't have gotten it fixed with my crap dealer.
Driving to the next dealer isn't a good answer but it's the best I've got. Maybe try a Lithia, I know it's a chain I've seen from Arizona all the way to Montana. I don't know about further east. They seem to care about their reputation.

fmathey

Reaction score
My steering column was completely replace with no luck. I got a phone call from the regional rep and he states that the problem has been diagnosed by FCA engineering and that it is a software issue. He also stated that a TSB will be released in Feb to address this issue... more to come.

Charon

Reaction score
I'm no engineer but I think a software issue that causes a hardware grind that gets progressively worse is going to take more than a update to fix the physical issue.
Of course this might not apply to all of our grinds but my steering was getting loose before my rack was replaced.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Sadly there's not too much you can do about a crap dealer. Luckily for me I got to try 3 different dealers on my travels through the west although an inconvenience for the journey, I probably wouldn't have gotten it fixed with my crap dealer.
Driving to the next dealer isn't a good answer but it's the best I've got. Maybe try a Lithia, I know it's a chain I've seen from Arizona all the way to Montana. I don't know about further east. They seem to care about their reputation.
In the cold mornings my grinding can be heard by my passengers. They say.....WTF?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just encountered this issue. So annoying! Which post number is the sock fix? For me it's when I turn left.
Yes it started out on the left, now its both ways and the sound is now much more intense. Something has got to get worn out or break. Based on all the conversation here on this blog. If someone gets hurt or in an accident all this discussion may be documentation for a negligence suit?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck went from doing this on occasion at low speeds from a stop when turning the wheel right; to doing it in almost every turning maneuver. It started around 18,000 miles. Two weeks ago I drained the rear differential gear oil and replaced it with Valvoline SynPower 75W-140. I have not had the grind since. I have tried to simulate conditions where it would grind; but it doesn't anymore. The old gear oil was quite dirty and a bit milky, but no major chunks or flakes. Hopefully the fluid change has fixed it for good. Maybe the factory didn't put enough (or any) limited slip additive in the rear. Or, maybe the MOPAR fluid is just garbage. In theory, you should be able to go 50,000 to 60,000 miles without thinking about a gear oil change.

Dallas Aggie

Reaction score
Had the same issue. Had numerous parts replaced at the dealer.

I finally tried cutting back the wheel liner on the driver side with some tin snips. It was sitting on top of the strut (I’m no expert, I think that is what it is) and rubbing. I cut it back a few inches and the problem has gone away.

Worth trying for this struggling with this.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Had the same issue. Had numerous parts replaced at the dealer.

I finally tried cutting back the wheel liner on the driver side with some tin snips. It was sitting on top of the strut (I’m no expert, I think that is what it is) and rubbing. I cut it back a few inches and the problem has gone away.

Worth trying for this struggling with this.
I doubt a wheel liner can cause the grinding vibration that shakes my hands on the wheel. There is something more serious at play here. Everyone in the truck can here it.

cdn_cowboy

Reaction score
Just an update on mine... they replaced the clockspring a few weeks ago but that didn't fix anything. They connected with Chrysler Engineering and the truck was in today to get the whole steering column/components replaced. All the grinding/clicking is gone as of now....

sputnic6

Reaction score
Mine just started to do the same. 2020 ram 1500 limited at 23k miles. Could it possibly be the knuckle stopper? Noticed that they is grinding indication there and they are metal to metal contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
796055a7be7191aab6232d0c4f070c8f.jpg

Last edited:

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Mine just started to do the same. 2020 ram 1500 limited at 23k miles. Could it possibly be the knuckle stopper? Noticed that they is grinding indication there and they are metal to metal contact.

796055a7be7191aab6232d0c4f070c8f.jpg
I don't think that is what is going on in mine. I'm feeling and hearing the noise in the middle of the rack actuation not the end stop. I looked into the splash shield theory as well and couldn't see any way that could be causing my issue. I have another appointment on Saturday. I'm hoping to go with the mechanic on the test drive and the noise occurs. I mostly notice it when its cold and going slowly through a parking lot and I'm turning the wheel. But I can't always make it happen! It's infuriating!

sputnic6

Reaction score
I don't think that is what is going on in mine. I'm feeling and hearing the noise in the middle of the rack actuation not the end stop. I looked into the splash shield theory as well and couldn't see any way that could be causing my issue. I have another appointment on Saturday. I'm hoping to go with the mechanic on the test drive and the noise occurs. I mostly notice it when its cold and going slowly through a parking lot and I'm turning the wheel. But I can't always make it happen! It's infuriating!

Mine is just the opposite. Only happens when the vehicle has been running for a while.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I had new tires put on Friday. I have driven a couple hundred miles now with no more grinding. Its weird to expect it and then it doesn't happen. I will see how it goes over the next few thousand miles.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone in “auto4wd” when this grinding occurs? When I first got my truck (two years ago) I recall a similar sensation when hard turning at low speed on dry pavement in 4auto. I had the diff fluid changed out of precaution when I read on this forum the factory fluid was low on a bunch of new trucks. Since then I only drive in 2wd unless the weather dictates otherwise and haven’t had any issues.

fmathey

Reaction score
Anyone in “auto4wd” when this grinding occurs? When I first got my truck (two years ago) I recall a similar sensation when hard turning at low speed on dry pavement in 4auto. I had the diff fluid changed out of precaution when I read on this forum the factory fluid was low on a bunch of new trucks. Since then I only drive in 2wd unless the weather dictates otherwise and haven’t had any issues.
Mine has always been in 2wd.

Users who are viewing this thread