5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
[

I tried with the TCS off. It still did the grinding but it was less.
There are 2 TCS/ECS modes. Partial off and full off. Full off is not recommended but you may be able to test whether or not the system is misbehaving in your grinding in turn situation with full off temporarily

To enter the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC OFF” switch for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime

Big Dave TX

Reaction score
There are 2 TCS/ECS modes. Partial off and full off. Full off is not recommended but you may be able to test whether or not the system is misbehaving in your grinding in turn situation with full off temporarily

To enter the “Full Off” mode, push and hold the “ESC OFF” switch for five seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine running. After five seconds, a chime
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Yossarian39

Reaction score
I have been having the same grinding/rubbing/steering wheel vibration issue while turning right at low speeds in my 2wd 2019 Ram Laramie Black. I have an appointment with the Dealer in two weeks. What is the consensus on what to tell them in order to best identify and resolve the problem? I see online that anything from new tires, to rear diff oil, to steering rack, to TC/ECS. Additionally, I am planning a long road trip, has anyone experienced any mechanical failure or vehicle breakdown resulting from the rubbing issues?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have been having the same grinding/rubbing/steering wheel vibration issue while turning right at low speeds in my 2wd 2019 Ram Laramie Black. I have an appointment with the Dealer in two weeks. What is the consensus on what to tell them in order to best identify and resolve the problem? I see online that anything from new tires, to rear diff oil, to steering rack, to TC/ECS. Additionally, I am planning a long road trip, has anyone experienced any mechanical failure or vehicle breakdown resulting from the rubbing issues?
Please let us know how you fair out. This is very concerning. I'm experiencing it as well. That vibration and grinding is unbelievable. I really despise going to the Dealer for so many reasons, I keep putting it off. I really get put off when I'm told everything checked out ok. :(

Yossarian39

Reaction score
With the Help of Mark (Ram Cares) I am working with Ram Customer Care now. They have created a case number and will be working with assisting with my local dealer. I made an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the Truck, but it is two weeks out. The customer care rep suggested that I go with another local dealer who can get the truck into the shop on Monday of next week. That Local dealer wants me to pay a "Diagnostic Fee" up front, despite the truck on being under factory warranty (less than 13,000 miles). I have never been asked to pay a diagnostic fee for a warranty repair and I am a little uncomfortable doing so. This is more than a little off putting for me; is it typical for dealers to charge to diagnose a Warranty Issue?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
With the Help of Mark (Ram Cares) I am working with Ram Customer Care now. They have created a case number and will be working with assisting with my local dealer. I made an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the Truck, but it is two weeks out. The customer care rep suggested that I go with another local dealer who can get the truck into the shop on Monday of next week. That Local dealer wants me to pay a "Diagnostic Fee" up front, despite the truck on being under factory warranty (less than 13,000 miles). I have never been asked to pay a diagnostic fee for a warranty repair and I am a little uncomfortable doing so. This is more than a little off putting for me; is it typical for dealers to charge to diagnose a Warranty issue.
This is very confusing. A vehicle under warranty and a "Diagnostic Free". I would call FCA Corporate and ask them why any fee's while under warranty? There is something wrong here. I know my local news station on TV takes stories like this all the time, this may be something worth trying. This is why people HATE Car Dealers. Bad news like this would crush that dealership. I'd bet that that Dealership has objectives in place for the service advisors to bring in money.

fmathey

Reaction score
I have had the low-speed-right-turn grinding issue and there is another thread on this issue as well: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/steering-grind.22320/
My truck has been into the dealer 4 times as they work with FCA Engineering to figure it out. Yesterday they replaced the entire steering column and so far with about 60 miles on the truck and a lot of low speed right hand turns the noise has not returned.

speedracernc

Reaction score
I had mine in on Friday for an oil change and an update. There is still no fix. They are working on it. Maybe the steering column replacement will be the fix.

fmathey

Reaction score
Bad news, replacing the steering column did not fix my issue. The only thing left now is the electic power steering rack under the truck. Service department is contacting FCA...

kevinssaco

Reaction score
It’s only at a good clip making a tight right turn
I'm having the same problem at 20K mi. Dealer can't duplicate. They are telling me to wait for a code to come up. Just started happening after the truck sat for a month in the garage. I'm finding it happens sometimes turning left as well. I never had steering issues like this in my life on a Toyo or Chevy! Not liking the return visits to the dealership already!

wvinson

Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm hearing and feeling in the steering wheel -- wish they could find a resolution. Mine is doing it more and more often.

macastroham

Reaction score
Yes that is precisely the sound I hear and can also feel in the brake pedal. I was just living with it until I encountered understeer on a couple of occasions and nearly plowed into a car. That is when I took it to a dealer. They easily replicated the issue and were promptly told by FCA this is a known issue with no resolution and return to the owner. In other words you have an unsafe vehicle, FCA knows there is a problem, but please go drive around and risk your and someone else's life. That did not sit well with me to say the least. I would just trade it, but cannot bring myself to do so due to morals and such.

Will try contacting FCA, but based all comments above it looks like a waste of time.

gibbynd

Reaction score
Mine has been good. Although I thought I heard it come back yesterday for a minute but so far 2 months all good

Users who are viewing this thread