5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay will not work now

blownout1500

Reaction score
Hey guys, just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic yesterday. I was having issues with the Carplay connecting and disconnecting itself over and over gain and couldn't seem to fix it. I updated my iphone to 12.1.4 and nothing changed. I was 99% sure I had all my phone settings right to operate but it seems there was one that I overlooked.

If you go into settings---Touch ID & Passcode-----and scroll to the bottom where it says "USB Accessories" you will want to make sure that you have enabled that by toggling it to On/green. I did this and have not since had an issue with my Carplay. I know it sounds ridiculous that I didn't know about that setting but I do now and I sure hope that this helps someone else with this frustrating issue!

Toggled green, always was, still doesn’t work. Thx for trying to help though!

blownout1500

Reaction score
Well hopefully you took a lot of pictures so everyone could see the replacement. Not a complete loss of 2 hours hopefully! :)

Not a lot.

The entire console gets unbolted and scooted aft. There are 6 bolts. 4 are obvious under plastic cover caps (2 on either side of console). 2 are hidden under the plastic trim elements that exist between glovebox/steering column and console on either side. Pull these trim elements off starting at the bottom and work your way up. You’ll see the last 2 bolts (1 either side)

Scoot console back and have at it. FYI couldn’t get the existing usb hub out without destroying - it has burly one way snaps. Careful not to damage the plastic female socket that you’ll need to snap the new usb hub into.

Good luck. Hope it works for some of you because it sure didn’t work for me.

9243A740-7B33-4BA4-9E6F-190BF34112F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick8325

Reaction score
Man what a bummer! You don’t think it has to be reflashed or something do you? There are obviously a bad batch of these media hubs do you think you got an old one? My dealer said they’ve replaced a bunch and it fixed the issue. I thought there was a different part number that replaced old part numbers for it. Maybe an updated media hub.

blownout1500

Reaction score
Man what a bummer! You don’t think it has to be reflashed or something do you? There are obviously a bad batch of these media hubs do you think you got an old one? My dealer said they’ve replaced a bunch and it fixed the issue. I thought there was a different part number that replaced old part numbers for it. Maybe an updated media hub.

Top is the old one, bottom is new. They both “work” the same (phone connects as an ipod but no CarPlay).

What baffles me is why it worked for a few weeks then quit? Doesn’t make any sense. Oh well
87AF7D63-A0F2-4EDC-A679-8C164C72224C.jpeg

Rick8325

Reaction score
Top is the old one, bottom is new. They both “work” the same (phone connects as an ipod but no CarPlay).

What baffles me is why it worked for a few weeks then quit? Doesn’t make any sense. Oh well

Mine charges every time. CarPlay works when it feels like it (seems 1 out of every 20 starts). It also doesn't detect my phone as a media device like an iPod or detect any usb thumb drives loaded with music. Though when CarPlay works, my usb thumb drives works. Have you tried another media device such as a usb stick?

blownout1500

Reaction score
Mine charges every time. CarPlay works when it feels like it (seems 1 out of every 20 starts). It also doesn't detect my phone as a media device like an iPod or detect any usb thumb drives loaded with music. Though when CarPlay works, my usb thumb drives works. Have you tried another media device such as a usb stick?
Tempted to just try a stick at this point lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ditto. It's hit or miss. I thought I had mine pinned with the new MFI cable, but no dice. Same as before. Funny thing is, it used to work every time until the UConnect software update last August or September... So there you go.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine was working flawlessly for a month but has been glitchy for the last week. It’s started working “better” since upgraded to the latest iOS but that might be a coincidence.

Another coincidence is around the same time my parking sensors started acting up. First the front and then the rear. Both saying clean sensors. Then after two days the messages to clean went away and the back works fine but the front doesn’t. Goes off (and doesn’t) randomly. Maybe the software starts glitching and effects multiple things. Weird.

Rick8325

Reaction score
RamCares is helping me get an expedited media hub shipped to my dealer because of the backorder. I really hope this fixes the issue as the dealer said it most likely will from what they've seen come in.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
RamCares is helping me get an expedited media hub shipped to my dealer because of the backorder. I really hope this fixes the issue as the dealer said it most likely will from what they've seen come in.
Glad to hear, but...Pretty sure it’s a software issue....

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it’s software as well. Someone in the post already tried changing the hub without success. Mine went from working to not working to working again (after iOS update).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Don’t you think more people would have this issue though?
A lot of people never use CarPlay. I would like for it to be fixed though, as sometimes I do want to use CarPlay, since it's still a lot faster than opening the XMGuardian app, going to the map, and sending the address to the truck from my iPhone. For the time being, that's what I use to get around it.

eduardolalo11

Reaction score
This is kinda unacceptable don’t you think? I’ve been dealing with this since day 1 :mad: we should all tag @RamCares so maybe they’ll get with the software developers from Ram/Uconnect and develop an update of some sort to get this apple CarPlay/Android auto working EVERYTIME!

It’s unbelievable that my wife’s 20k dollar car apple CarPlay works every time and my 50k+ truck does not CRAZY!

Jaybo518

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new to the site but I saw this post and had to join and comment. I just had the same issue on a new 2018 2500 I just bought. Dealer was ready to order a new radio until they found a app in the APPS screen that is labeled Projection manager. You have to set it to mirror iPhone screen and then CarPlay will work. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 29AB3B68-1EE3-4462-B2D9-6082ABB391D6.jpeg
    29AB3B68-1EE3-4462-B2D9-6082ABB391D6.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 54

blownout1500

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new to the site but I saw this post and had to join and comment. I just had the same issue on a new 2018 2500 I just bought. Dealer was ready to order a new radio until they found a app in the APPS screen that is labeled Projection manager. You have to set it to mirror iPhone screen and then CarPlay will work. Hope this helps someone.

SOLVED!!

Many thanks for posting this. What a saga. Why/how this random switch got toggled and it stopped working I have no idea, but now it finally works again. Hallelujah.

So glad I ordered a media hub and disassembled my entire center console along the way lol.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've had this enabled all along, so this is not the issue in my case. Still works intermittently...

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread