5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay will not work now

Rick8325

Reaction score
*UPDATE*

The dealer replaced my USB media hub yesterday and CarPlay and my music thumb drives work perfectly (I only had CarPlay work 5 times since I purchased 2 months ago but phones charged with no problem). Any time there is a backordered part that usually says it all...

*UPDATE 2*

A week later and CarPlay still works every time. I think some media hubs were made with loose connectors on the data connection which is why a lot of people say their phone still charges on all ports.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my new 2019 Laramie 12”. Going that my “projection” from my phone was unchecked. It will be in the Smartphone device mirroring screen. Hope it was this simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 55

macallien

Reaction score
Mine is in for replacement of media hub today. However, a few days ago CarPlay started working again in all 3 ports. No changes in phone or cord.

maddog49

Reaction score
Hey Rick,
Could you post the part numbers they replaced yours with?
Thanks
*UPDATE*

The dealer replaced my USB media hub yesterday and CarPlay and my music thumb drives work perfectly (I only had CarPlay work 5 times since I purchased 2 months ago but phones charged with no problem). Any time there is a backordered part that usually says it all...

*UPDATE 2*

A week later and CarPlay still works every time. I think some media hubs were made with loose connectors on the data connection which is why a lot of people say their phone still charges on all ports.

maddog49

Reaction score
A new media hub fixed mine today. Had to push on all 4 clips and then from the front to get the old one out. 6 screws to get the console out (2 under hidden panels at the front). The new part number 68397098AE

Briencrotty

Reaction score
A new media hub fixed mine today. Had to push on all 4 clips and then from the front to get the old one out. 6 screws to get the console out (2 under hidden panels at the front). The new part number 68397098AE
Mine has been working fine, until this afternoon.

Prior to this afternoon, I'd plug my phone in and it would connect to CarPlay automatically immediately. This afternoon, while CarPlay was working perfectly, I plugged in another device (my bluetooth headset base/charger) into the second USB port in the console. Immediately when I plugged that in, CarPlay stopped working on my phone, and hasn't worked since. I've got it sitting in my driveway with the battery cable unplugged in the hope that it comes back after I plug it back in. Otherwise, it's going to the dealer. I use CarPlay all the time, and it was a pretty critical reason I purchased this truck over another, so if it doesn't work, they're going to have to take it back until they can make it work. Very frustrating!

B

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Mine was working perfectly, up until today. CarPlay was working (I was listening to music through it, and had the map going), and I plugged the charging dock for my earpiece into the second USB port to charge it. As soon as I did that, it disconnected the phone, and CarPlay hasn't worked since. I tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes (no joy), and called UConnect customer service. They walked me through a slew of things (removing the phone through settings, etc.), none of which worked. Interestingly, at some point in this process, even though I've only had the truck for two months, Sirius disappeared as an option when I choose "media", saying I only had one day of trial left. That is clearly not the case, given I have only had the truck for 2 months.

The dude (Chris) from Uconnect customer service was great (had me even pull fuse 44 to see if that reset the system), but no joy. He scheduled a dealership appointment for me for tomorrow (looks like another day away from the office for me, ugh).

If it's the media hub, it's a pretty major lift to get to for the dealer, so hopefully they don't screw up the dash getting to it. Very annoying problem for a brand new truck.

Frustrated,

B

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine was working perfectly, up until today. CarPlay was working (I was listening to music through it, and had the map going), and I plugged the charging dock for my earpiece into the second USB port to charge it. As soon as I did that, it disconnected the phone, and CarPlay hasn't worked since. I tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes (no joy), and called UConnect customer service. They walked me through a slew of things (removing the phone through settings, etc.), none of which worked. Interestingly, at some point in this process, even though I've only had the truck for two months, Sirius disappeared as an option when I choose "media", saying I only had one day of trial left. That is clearly not the case, given I have only had the truck for 2 months.

The dude (Chris) from Uconnect customer service was great (had me even pull fuse 44 to see if that reset the system), but no joy. He scheduled a dealership appointment for me for tomorrow (looks like another day away from the office for me, ugh).

If it's the media hub, it's a pretty major lift to get to for the dealer, so hopefully they don't screw up the dash getting to it. Very annoying problem for a brand new truck.

Frustrated,

B

Pretty confident the media hub replacement will fix the issue for you guys. The swap is fairly easy. The problem has been these things have been backordered so you might want to check with your dealer to see if they have it in stock or can get it quickly. Otherwise you will be making another trip back again. It also helps if you can video some of the incidents because the dealer will want to see it not working and of course when you get to the dealer and they plug a phone in, it will work, and they will tell you they can replicate the problem...come back when it’s doing it. So record some video with your phone, show that you plug and unplug it, shut the car off and turn back on, restart the phone, latest ver of iOS, etc so they don’t give you a hard time.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty confident the media hub replacement will fix the issue for you guys. The swap is fairly easy. The problem has been these things have been backordered so you might want to check with your dealer to see if they have it in stock or can get it quickly. Otherwise you will be making another trip back again. It also helps if you can video some of the incidents because the dealer will want to see it not working and of course when you get to the dealer and they plug a phone in, it will work, and they will tell you they can replicate the problem...come back when it’s doing it. So record some video with your phone, show that you plug and unplug it, shut the car off and turn back on, restart the phone, latest ver of iOS, etc so they don’t give you a hard time.
Been trying to use Apple Music via CarPlay. It’ll work but it stops mid-song and after a while it starts playing again. My cord is an Apple cord. Does this sound like a media hub problem?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am going to start a new thread to highlight a specific glitch I am almost positive I have discovered. Here it is:

I have a dashcam, specifically a Viofo a119. If I connect that dashcam (for power) to any of the USB ports in the front or the one in the console (haven’t tried the rear ports), it will cause CarPlay to glitch. It happens all the time. I am not sure if the glitch is in the CarPlay software or in the usb hub. I believe the hub or the CarPlay software is trying to view the camera as a storage device and it’s causing the glitch. You should be able to plug and usb device into any USB port and have it recognized as either a media device or simply just for power. Evidently that’s not the case and since the camera is a non media device, it causes this glitch. I am not sure if this happens with every camera, with other “non-media” usb devices, or possibly even older usb media devices. My suggestion would be if you are having CarPlay/usb issues, try unplugging all usb devices other than your phone, then unplug/replug your phone to reset the connection. I still think there is an issue with bad media hubs but believe this to be a separate glitch.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it still show the CarPlay icon? If not I would say yes.
Funny. To get the CarPlay icon up, I have to first activate Waze. And then I can sync Apple Music thru CarPlay. But it still cuts on and off.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I notice this... have the cable plugged in your phone first and then plug it into your usb. I had the issue were the carplay would turn off after a few mins. I disconnect the cable from the usb port and plug it back in vs unplugging it from the phone. Problem didnt come back. Soooo idk maybe that help?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice this... have the cable plugged in your phone first and then plug it into your usb. I had the issue were the carplay would turn off after a few mins. I disconnect the cable from the usb port and plug it back in vs unplugging it from the phone. Problem didnt come back. Soooo idk maybe that help?
I’ll try that. Thanks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's infuriating. Mine comes and goes. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just will not.

Scjon03

Reaction score
So I just try it again. I plugged the USB cable into the USB slot first, then the phone. It was on for about 10 mins and blanked out. I then unplugged the cable from the USB (not the phone) then replugged it back in and stayed on the entire time. I have no idea why or how it made a difference but it worked.

Tiger79

Reaction score
I have noticed that if you use a multi-headed cable, like one that has a Lightning connector, USB-C and Micro-USB, that car play will not recognize whatever logic is built into those and not work.
It will charge just fine, just not allow carplay to engage.

I picked up a USB-C to Lightning cable from amazon and it works every time.

Users who are viewing this thread