5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay will not work now

chance21

Reaction score
Old thread revival, but here's my story ...

I listened to CarPlay on my way to work this morning but it didn't work coming home. So being the techie, nerd, former Army communications guy that I am, I thought this is some bull$4it that I can't live with. I uninstalled the phone from my uConnect system and reinstalled it; no dice. Changed cables; nope. Changed ports, nothing. At this point I'm ready to punch the radio in the face ... and then it dawned on me to check what apps updated today while I was at work. I traced it back to an update on an IOS app named "Smart Life - Smart Living". Its an app for controlling smart power outlets. I uninstalled the app and everything is back up and running. Crisis averted and the radio didn't need to be facially rebooted. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile but I'd suspect there are instances when apps that require bluetooth/WiFi access privileges cause a corruption with the CarPlay/uConnect interface.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Old thread revival, but here's my story ...

I listened to CarPlay on my way to work this morning but it didn't work coming home. So being the techie, nerd, former Army communications guy that I am, I thought this is some bull$4it that I can't live with. I uninstalled the phone from my uConnect system and reinstalled it; no dice. Changed cables; nope. Changed ports, nothing. At this point I'm ready to punch the radio in the face ... and then it dawned on me to check what apps updated today while I was at work. I traced it back to an update on an IOS app named "Smart Life - Smart Living". Its an app for controlling smart power outlets. I uninstalled the app and everything is back up and running. Crisis averted and the radio didn't need to be facially rebooted. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile but I'd suspect there are instances when apps that require bluetooth/WiFi access privileges cause a corruption with the CarPlay/uConnect interface.
Glad you found a solution for your situation.

Unfortunately, in my case, it’s the USB ports that go out intermittently. Been working fine for about a week, but it could go out any second and stay that way for a while until it starts working again (same on my playlist thumb drive).

Cheers,

chance21

Reaction score
Glad you found a solution for your situation.

Unfortunately, in my case, it’s the USB ports that go out intermittently. Been working fine for about a week, but it could go out any second and stay that way for a while until it starts working again (same on my playlist thumb drive).

Cheers,

I read that some members were having that issue. I ruled that out as a possibility because a have a tiny 64GB USB drive plugged into USB2 and I was still able to play music from that source and my phone was still able to charge in USB 1, 2, and 3. I hate that people are having these tech issues with an otherwise phenomenal truck. I've had screen ghost image issues since I bought my truck. Going on about 18 months of the dealership telling me there will be a software update "coming soon" that will clear it up. I know they're full of ****, and they know they're full of ****, but we smile and nod like we're both confident that will fix the issue. One of these days I'll stop being lazy and finally ask them to change the radio head unit.

Last edited:

chance21

Reaction score
Disregard what I said about having an app conflict. During my 8 hour road trip today everything was working fine, until I stopped for lunch. I got back in the truck after lunch and no more CarPlay. As much as I wish it wasn’t flaky software, it appears to be a Ram issue. The phone still charges and my other USB drive still plays music, but CarPlay doesn’t execute.

Briencrotty

Reaction score
Disregard what I said about having an app conflict. During my 8 hour road trip today everything was working fine, until I stopped for lunch. I got back in the truck after lunch and no more CarPlay. As much as I wish it wasn’t flaky software, it appears to be a Ram issue. The phone still charges and my other USB drive still plays music, but CarPlay doesn’t execute.

I've been having this same problem since not long after I got my truck early this year. It's been to the dealer multiple times, with no solution. I have found one myself, though - this only happens to me if I use the keyless entry feature (i.e., grabbing the door handle to unlock the truck). If I hit the unlock button on the keyfob to unlock the truck, CarPlay works fine. If I use the keyfob-less entry method of opening the door, it doesn't.

Hopefully this works for you!

B

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
This is driving me insane. I have this issue. First trip to the dealer and they said a fuse was busted. Reset the fuses, gave me the truck, I checked on exit and it wasn't working. Made an appointment while there for the media hub to be replaced.

After having the media hub replaced, everything was fine for about 4 days before the problem intermittently returned. I've tried about 10 different devices, several apple certified cables and different ports, but the problem won't go away. The dealership just shrugged and said what can we do, we did everything we know to fix.

If anyone finds a permanent solution, pls post. It's super annoying to go from being carplay dependent for nav/SMS/calling to having it be unreliable.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is driving me insane. I have this issue. First trip to the dealer and they said a fuse was busted. Reset the fuses, gave me the truck, I checked on exit and it wasn't working. Made an appointment while there for the media hub to be replaced.

After having the media hub replaced, everything was fine for about 4 days before the problem intermittently returned. I've tried about 10 different devices, several apple certified cables and different ports, but the problem won't go away. The dealership just shrugged and said what can we do, we did everything we know to fix.

If anyone finds a permanent solution, pls post. It's super annoying to go from being carplay dependent for nav/SMS/calling to having it be unreliable.

Are you sure they replaced the media hub and reflashed the Uconnect software? Sometimes dealers say they did something but didn’t. If they did both of those things it should have fixed your problem

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going through these same issues with my truck now. My carplay was always finicky. Somedays I would plug it in and nothing would show up. Oh well, whatever and drive away. Next day it would work fine. This same issue happened again on Monday and I finally got fed up with it so I deleted my phone from the truck to try and reset it up. Now when i connect my phone via wire it says "device not supported" under the USB slot I am plugged into. Still charges, and bluetooth still works just fine. I search for Uconnect updates, none. Phone updates, none. I think I am off to the dealership ASAP as I used to use CarPlay daily.

Mikejones11

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my truck this morning. Tried to reset the 12 inch, restart my phone, new cord etc etc. I ended up going to U apps and saw U assist or something and it had a delete icon next to it. After I clicked that my apple play came right up.

ChiefAllDay

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my truck this morning. Tried to reset the 12 inch, restart my phone, new cord etc etc. I ended up going to U apps and saw U assist or something and it had a delete icon next to it. After I clicked that my apple play came right up.
I was fiddling around with the settings in UConnect and found something that read "Carplay Screen Mirroring"... I thought to myself "I must need that" and turned it on. Carplay stopped working. After a few failed attempts fiddling with the phone, I went back and turned it off, and everything was back to normal. Try that, see if it helps.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was fiddling around with the settings in UConnect and found something that read "Carplay Screen Mirroring"... I thought to myself "I must need that" and turned it on. Carplay stopped working. After a few failed attempts fiddling with the phone, I went back and turned it off, and everything was back to normal. Try that, see if it helps.
If it’s the same issue I have, this option doesn’t even work.

PepperellFF

Reaction score
Going through these same issues with my truck now. My carplay was always finicky. Somedays I would plug it in and nothing would show up. Oh well, whatever and drive away. Next day it would work fine. This same issue happened again on Monday and I finally got fed up with it so I deleted my phone from the truck to try and reset it up. Now when i connect my phone via wire it says "device not supported" under the USB slot I am plugged into. Still charges, and bluetooth still works just fine. I search for Uconnect updates, none. Phone updates, none. I think I am off to the dealership ASAP as I used to use CarPlay daily.
Did the dealer help you?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the dealer help you?
I am taking the truck in this Friday to have the front media hub replaced. That seems to have fixed this issue for other people having the same symptoms.

troy2019

Reaction score
Same issue here. It started as an intermittent problem and had me swapping cables and the usual trouble shooting things. Then quit all together, doesn't even show up on the screen any longer. Guess a trip to the dealer is the next step. Frustrating to say the least.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issue here. It started as an intermittent problem and had me swapping cables and the usual trouble shooting things. Then quit all together, doesn't even show up on the screen any longer. Guess a trip to the dealer is the next step. Frustrating to say the least.
Sounds like a new media hub is in your future as well.

ChiefAllDay

Reaction score
The latest iOS 14 beta fixed the problems for me. Carplay, and specifically controlling the functions with Siri, is all back to normal.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The latest iOS 14 beta fixed the problems for me. Carplay, and specifically controlling the functions with Siri, is all back to normal.
I don’t Have an option for ios14 upgrades yet.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the front media hub fixed today. CarPlay works like a charm now. No issues anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread