5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay will not work now

blownout1500

Reaction score
If anyone has info on how to disassemble the console to get at the media hub please hit me up. Thanks in advance!

agof95

Reaction score
Media hub replacement by the dealer fixed the issue for my Limited with 12” screen. Although it was a slow to diagnose issue between the dealership and FCA (2 months back/forth), it has worked for two weeks now. No plug in sequence rituals needed.

newram

Reaction score
Media hub replacement by the dealer fixed the issue for my Limited with 12” screen. Although it was a slow to diagnose issue between the dealership and FCA (2 months back/forth), it has worked for two weeks now. No plug in sequence rituals needed.
In my case it took over four months

djwdjw

Reaction score
My phone updated, but CarPlay, which worked fine for 3 months, is still broken.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I'll be heading to the dealer for this as well in a couple of weeks. I will update.
Went to dealer. They are sure it’s the usb media hub. They ordered one but it’s on nationwide backorder. They have already replaced them in other Ram trucks recently. Hope it comes in soon.

blownout1500

Reaction score
Went to dealer. They are sure it’s the usb media hub. They ordered one but it’s on nationwide backorder. They have already replaced them in other Ram trucks recently. Hope it comes in soon.

My usb media hub should arrive Tuesday. Not looking forward to the console disassembly... the price of not having patience lol

Rick8325

Reaction score
My usb media hub should arrive Tuesday. Not looking forward to the console disassembly... the price of not having patience lol
I can see that it can be bought online and not showing backordered anywhere. I wish I could just buy it myself and bring it to the dealer. Good luck with the install and please update us!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Guys, I was finally able to do a proper test since the OTA update late last year.
Mine used to not work unless I plugged it in before starting the truck, if not, very iffy. I suspected the cable (even thought the one I had in there was bought new just for the truck).

Bought another MFI certified cable, and worked out of the gate with the engine on, right after I tested the “old” cable which did not work. I am thinking if you plug and unplug often, the connector weakens and some strands get brittle and make a poor connection (old cable used to work fine when I first got it, and I don’t use CarPlay daily).

Something to consider. Of course, the ideal solution is wireless CarPlay. Hopefully this will be a feature in future generations.

Cheers,

Saints

Reaction score
My buddy had a new head unit and subs installed in his truck (not a Ram) today at a local audio shop but while he was in there he was talking about the 19 Ram and that it did not have wireless CarPlay. They told him there is a module that they can install to make it work wirelessly. Has anyone heard this before?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My buddy had a new head unit and subs installed in his truck (not a Ram) today at a local audio shop but while he was in there he was talking about the 19 Ram and that it did not have wireless CarPlay. They told him there is a module that they can install to make it work wirelessly. Has anyone heard this before?
Never heard this before. Very interesting...

djwdjw

Reaction score
I had another iOS 12.2 update to the phone 2 days ago. Now CarPlay works again.

It had not worked at all no matter what I tried for ~~3 weeks.

Now it works every time. No changes to any cables or anything.

blownout1500

Reaction score
Media hub is here...

5A3E9716-0B02-4C8F-AE75-24F7FE35CF7A.jpeg

Anyone want to put odds on this solving the CarPlay issue? I’m solidly 50/50

Rick8325

Reaction score
Media hub is here...

Anyone want to put odds on this solving the CarPlay issue? I’m solidly 50/50

I'm hoping it does! Looks like it's plug and play. Yesterday I noticed my usb hub's dash lights were still on well after I turned my truck off and thought what else is wrong with this thing but it turns out to be a feature to still be able to charge phones after an hour. Still weird that the light remains on though. Good luck luck with your install! The dealer said the whole console has to be loosened and moved back. I don't know how true that is.

blownout1500

Reaction score
I'm hoping it does! Looks like it's plug and play. Yesterday I noticed my usb hub's dash lights were still on well after I turned my truck off and thought what else is wrong with this thing but it turns out to be a feature to still be able to charge phones after an hour. Still weird that the light remains on though. Good luck luck with your install! The dealer said the whole console has to be loosened and moved back. I don't know how true that is.

Ugh. Fingers crossed

KWhiteis

Reaction score
Hey guys, just purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic yesterday. I was having issues with the Carplay connecting and disconnecting itself over and over gain and couldn't seem to fix it. I updated my iphone to 12.1.4 and nothing changed. I was 99% sure I had all my phone settings right to operate but it seems there was one that I overlooked.

If you go into settings---Touch ID & Passcode-----and scroll to the bottom where it says "USB Accessories" you will want to make sure that you have enabled that by toggling it to On/green. I did this and have not since had an issue with my Carplay. I know it sounds ridiculous that I didn't know about that setting but I do now and I sure hope that this helps someone else with this frustrating issue!

djwdjw

Reaction score
Didn’t work at all. Functions the same as it did before the swap. That’s $100 and 2hrs of my life I won’t get back.

Well hopefully you took a lot of pictures so everyone could see the replacement. Not a complete loss of 2 hours hopefully! :)

Users who are viewing this thread