5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's 0 reason to remove the dipstick except to be anti-consumer imo.
Yes, that’s it. Ram engineers and management sat around thinking, “How can we devote our resources to designing a system that can screw over customers?”

It’s one thing to be upset about the lack of a dipstick. It’s another to impute sinister motives to that decision.

lonepeak

Reaction score
The Hurricane began production at the Mexico plant in the fall of 2021 and announced in the spring of '22. Given that a lot of research and testing had to proceed the production and its been in the Wagoneers for at least a year I think most issues have been worked out before it goes into the RAM 1500s.

Searching Wagoneer forums I really didn't see any engine issues with Hurricanes other than some engine warning lights possibly when 91 octane was not used in the HO engine. Other issues with Wagoneer's were mostly electrical and accessory issues.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
It's pretty bad when a manufacturer can't get the configurator for their newest vehicles going before other web sites. But this happens every new model year with Ram, so I guess I'm used to it.

I'm a little dubious of the costco configurator to be honest. It allows selecting Night Edition and ORG on the Limited, which has never been an acceptable combination in the past for 5th gen Limited models. That's a combination I really wanted but couldn't get on past model years.
I also noticed on the costco site that it allowed choosing the tow tech package without changing to the tow mirrors. when my dealer tried that when they placed my order for my limited on the actual ordering site in dealer connect. it required the addition of the tow mirrors to select that option. so, I left it off and just got the tow package because I dont like tow mirrors just to pull my bass boat.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Hurricane began production at the Mexico plant in the fall of 2021 and announced in the spring of '22. Given that a lot of research and testing had to proceed the production and its been in the Wagoneers for at least a year I think most issues have been worked out before it goes into the RAM 1500s.

Searching Wagoneer forums I really didn't see any engine issues with Hurricanes other than some engine warning lights possibly when 91 octane was not used in the HO engine. Other issues with Wagoneer's were mostly electrical and accessory issues.

I don't know. I mean the dinosaur that is the current Hemi 5.7L still has issues with exhaust manifolds cracking, manifold bolts and lifters (though rare). This engine is widespread and been around a long time, yet there is still waiting list for exhaust manifolds if you get that very likely but albeit minor issue.

I think we will need more than 1 year of a new engine being out in the field before we can call it good or at least devoid of major issues. If there are issues, it's isn't going to be pretty especially when you factor in Stellantis dealership networks rather slow response time. Something as simple & basic as a steel manifold has a waiting list, can you imagine a turbo or anything associated with that?

Last edited:

lonepeak

Reaction score
I can't really disagree. I've been an early adopter at times and by the time I actually get a '25 it will likely be closer to 2025 anyway. Still waiting to see the SO or HO results in the RAMS and some dealer arrivals.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can't really disagree. I've been an early adopter at times and by the time I actually get a '25 it will likely be closer to 2025 anyway. Still waiting to see the SO or HO results in the RAMS and some dealer arrivals.

I have been an early adapter often as well, most recently with my 2.7L Ecoboost in the all-new 2015 F150 and 2019 DT RAM. Neither have given me issues, very happy with both products.

So hopefully this goes in a very positive way also.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Have you read/watched any talk about the new Tundra? They still have pretty bad issues with it, Tim E did a video the other week.
I just started checking out the Tundras and from what I have seen their latest versions are doing well.
Any links to current issues? Would be interesting in watching any video or read any links.

silver billet

Reaction score
I just started checking out the Tundras and from what I have seen their latest versions are doing well.
Any links to current issues? Would be interesting in watching any video or read any links.

Here is one report, two formats, top one is the article and the other is just a video talking about it instead:

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, that’s it. Ram engineers and management sat around thinking, “How can we devote our resources to designing a system that can screw over customers?”

It’s one thing to be upset about the lack of a dipstick. It’s another to impute sinister motives to that decision.
Yep

BowDown

Reaction score
I don't know. I mean the dinosaur that is the current Hemi 5.7L still has issues with exhaust manifolds cracking, manifold bolts and lifters (though rare). This engine is widespread and been around a long time, yet there is still waiting list for exhaust manifolds if you get that very likely but albeit minor issue.

I think we will need more than 1 year of a new engine being out in the field before we can call it good or at least devoid of major issues. If there are issues, it's isn't going to be pretty especially when you factor in Stellantis dealership networks rather slow response time. Something as simple & basic as a steel manifold has a waiting list, can you imagine a turbo or anything associated with that?

All that tells me is that the HEMI "issues" were very minor and rare. Overall, I think the Gen 5 issues are rare and minimal

Serpens

Reaction score

It's certainly been a long time coming. The first time it was mentioned under the "Tornado" name on Allpar was June 2017.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
All that tells me is that the HEMI "issues" were very minor and rare. Overall, I think the Gen 5 issues are rare and minimal
Absolutely, except I would say the exhaust manidolds and or bolts. They either didn't bother to fix it and dont make enough parts.

But admittedly minor.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
American engineering can hardly be singled out - we've seen plenty of engines from foreign automakers be absolute disasters in their early years, especially from some German makes. In any event, I'm curious as to why so many are acting as if the Hurricane hasn't been in production for a year already. I actually think it was quite smart to introduce it in the Wagoneer a year ago to sniff out any weaknesses.
Yeah, a year is a long time to test a brand new engine for flaws on an extremely small user base of an SUV.

You say that as a joke, but it's more common than you would appear to think. How many parts are tied a serial number of the device, of the vin of a truck.
How many parts require you to run dealership level tools to do "calibrate" it but in turn does nothing.

We can't even get the firmware updates for uConnect 5 software, and they push updates out that brick the radios and entire trucks the past month.
None of that is in interest to the consumer and is 100% anti-consumer to the point thye made empty legal threats against this site for having LINKS to OTHER PLACES that have the FREE software updates available.

I'm not saying FCA is evil, who knows maybe they are. Just pointing out anti-consumer things such as removal of a dipstick.
They could argue and say it's an extra $15 for a dipstick from the factory but no, they are saying use this sensor instead, if it fails come to the dealership and we will charge you fix it. The less control you have the better, the more mysterious they make these trucks the more money they can make on repairs, making them turn into junkyard trucks at 10 years becuase it's ungodly expensive to fix due to the electronics not being able to be replaced, and special software being held hostage by the manufacturer.

How many things will people allow to be changed that limit\remove control people used to have before people wake up and realize that is going on.
A fuel gage that no longer shows what % you are at, and just a low fuel light that comes on at the end? When does it stop? How far is too far? Are you okay with owning nothing and paying to rent a truck that can be turned off if Ram says you didn't do x\y\z? Slippery slope imo.

U

User_3336

We can't even get the firmware updates for uConnect 5 software, and they push updates out that brick the radios and entire trucks the past month.
Yea, I get the UCONNECT BOX NEEDS SERVICE after a funky OTA update. the UC5 was "ok" before this update hit, now the call buttons are RED and don't work. Supposedly waiting on the "next" one that will correct it. Yeah right. Call FCA, its "go to the dealer".

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Here is one report, two formats, top one is the article and the other is just a video talking about it instead:

Ok, I think reading all these threads and messages board leads one to a gloom and doom mentality.
Not sure I ever want to buy another new truck. :D
Need to get off the Internet for a while.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score

Do you have one for the 2024 GMC Sierra 1500?:D

lonepeak

Reaction score

For you Tungsten fans this video just came out one day ago. He also states that there is a "driving embargo" until Feb. 22. An excellent review of all the features. So, we're getting closer to the driving experience.

Serpens

Reaction score
Yeah, a year is a long time to test a brand new engine for flaws on an extremely small user base of an SUV.

Oh please do tell what would've been a better alternative. I'm all ears. This engine was in development and testing for over 6 years before it was installed in any production vehicle. Why would it not be great to have them apply it first in a vehicle made in smaller numbers that gets used in a wide variety of situations? Wagoneers tow and get used as mall crawlers. I'd much rather have them do that than the alternative, especially given the pickup drivers are the most skeptical.

silver billet

Reaction score
Oh please do tell what would've been a better alternative. I'm all ears. This engine was in development and testing for over 6 years before it was installed in any production vehicle. Why would it not be great to have them apply it first in a vehicle made in smaller numbers that gets used in a wide variety of situations? Wagoneers tow and get used as mall crawlers. I'd much rather have them do that than the alternative, especially given the pickup drivers are the most skeptical.

They did the right thing; new engine being tested on limited run. Unfortunately it just means there are no real known issues but they might still crop up once the volume increases.

Once you start selling millions, every little issue becomes a nightmare just due to scale.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Add rentals to the list. We rented one for 5-6 guys on a small road trip. ran it pretty hard just to see how she ran, which was pretty well. don't remember how many miles were on it at the time. But all liked the Wagoneer a lot, and all of us had our share of Burbs, Tahoes, Denali's, Expeditions, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread