5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ChrisID

Reaction score
Here's some numbers
Ct4 blackwing = 470hp/3.6L = 130HP/litre
Ram SO = 420HP/3.0 = 140HP/litre
Ram HO = 510HP/3.0 = 170HP/litre
KTM 250cc = 40HP/.25L = 160HP/litre

Will my wife's car go 150-200K miles without major maintenance/replacement? I doubt it, and not planning on getting there.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe this due more to the fact HO is only available on the fatter trims. That weight comes off the GCWR number (which I suspect most trims with the Hurricane will share) to limit weights the truck can CARRY & STOP (not pull).

For prolonged load as in towing, larger turbos flowing more air at lower boost (heat) would be advantageous for resiliency.

That could be part of it perhaps, but I think the difference in max tow far exceeds the difference in weight between those.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The H/O tows less than the S/O. That should be a clue to us that the H/O is going to have issues of some sort, cooling perhaps.
H/O only tows less because it's only available in the higher trim levels that weigh more reducing towing and payload.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Since the Hurricane has been out in the Jeep for a little while, and I'm sure there's some limo companies using them, we should be over 100K miles use for some already, but doubt we will ever know, because they don't care about reporting, etc.... They will know first though.
a year from now, some of these will be over 200K. reliability/lifespans are a big deal to these companies.

BowDown

Reaction score
The H/O tows less than the S/O. That should be a clue to us that the H/O is going to have issues of some sort, cooling perhaps.

I think that may be the fact that the HO is only in the Limited/Longhorn and the Tungsten, the heaviest of the trims so towing/payload would be reduced

BowDown

Reaction score
I mostly agree with your assessment. I am from the rotating equipment world, and we refer to our equipment as low-energy and high-energy. There are very few low-energy pieces of equipment left, and if you want one, they are 4-6 times more expensive. Same thing has happened with our modern engines, but for different reasons.
IMO it's corporate-gov partners, and there is no question in my mind that our ever increasing emission standards are designed for one thing, to limit competition (under the ruse of being clean to the masses, our ICE engines have been clean since the 90's).
We will never see 300K+ mile engines anymore (unless all highway low stress).
Even our old hemi had a good amount of electro-mechanical devices. Now there are more for sure.
All cars/trucks will be big money to maintain past 100-150K IMO.
IF you want to try and go past 150K then I think the only options are the newer 2500 bigger gas engines from the big 3. Most Contractors I know that have fleets are moving away from the huge expense of the new Tier4 diesels (major competition limiting boondoggle) to these bigger gas engines to hopefully get some decent lifespans.

I don't agree with that, if you take care of it, IE regular maintenance, it should be relatively easy to gpo past 100K with minimal expenditures. My previous truck went 277k with only needing a water pump, radiator, clutch fan, and 1 valve spring. There's lots of people over 100k now and not spending money, my 2020 has 72K on it and drives like its brand new.

Unless the hurricane has to live at high rpms for most of its life, it should be fine as well, Stellantis isn't new to making these types of engines

BowDown

Reaction score
Since the Hurricane has been out in the Jeep for a little while, and I'm sure there's some limo companies using them, we should be over 100K miles use for some already, but doubt we will ever know, because they don't care about reporting, etc.... They will know first though.
a year from now, some of these will be over 200K. reliability/lifespans are a big deal to these companies.

I could be wrong but I don't see stellantis building an engine that doesn't have reliability giving them exposure to costly warranty claims. That doesn't make financial sense. But, fact of the matter is that the HEMI is as of now gone and these will be the replacements so as much as anyone may not like it, it is what it is.

silver billet

Reaction score
I believe this due more to the fact HO is only available on the fatter trims. That weight comes off the GCWR number (which I suspect most trims with the Hurricane will share) to limit weights the truck can CARRY & STOP (not pull).

For prolonged load as in towing, larger turbos flowing more air at lower boost (heat) would be advantageous for resiliency.

So this is my mistake. I was thinking the SO was rated north of 13k pounds but I was confusing that with the Charger.

Max tow on the SO=11,560
Max tow on the HO=10,740
Difference = 820

ChrisID

Reaction score
I don't agree with that, if you take care of it, IE regular maintenance, it should be relatively easy to gpo past 100K with minimal expenditures. My previous truck went 277k with only needing a water pump, radiator, clutch fan, and 1 valve spring. There's lots of people over 100k now and not spending money, my 2020 has 72K on it and drives like its brand new.

Unless the hurricane has to live at high rpms for most of its life, it should be fine as well, Stellantis isn't new to making these types of engines
I think you missed my point of lower energy vs new higher energy (turbo) engines. Certainly the hemi could go 200+, but again, I don't the newer higher energy engines will get there. I could be wrong. we will see.
as a comparison, the Hemi is 70HP/litre.

BowDown

Reaction score
I think you missed my point of lower energy vs new higher energy (turbo) engines. Certainly the hemi could go 200+, but again, I don't the newer higher energy engines will get there. I could be wrong. we will see.
as a comparison, the Hemi is 70HP/litre.

No, I got it, I simply think with regular maintenance the new engines will last 150 to 200K. I think the only thing it will need is new turbos at some point in the 150/175k miles range.
I don't think that's not going to be a high labor item on a straight 6 and turbos aren't that expensive so say $2K repair bill for turbos at 150k+ miles.
With everyone complaining about the HEMI not lasting 100K miles due to failed lifters (if you buy into that BS), what's the real difference?

My experience with turbo engines (all engines really) is that changing the oil religiously helps longevity and honestly, the people following the oil life gauge for oil changes shouldn't expect a long engine life

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is my mistake. I was thinking the SO was rated north of 13k pounds but I was confusing that with the Charger.

Max tow on the SO=11,560
Max tow on the HO=10,740
Difference = 820

But if we’ve learned anything from the forums, it’s that no one pays attention to the tow rating anyway lol.
So for real world use they’re pretty similar.

What I don’t understand is why the payload is lower. I’d have to think the Hurricane, even with all that plumbing and cooling, is still lighter than the cast iron Hemi??

And I seriously doubt they are changing the suspension/reducing GVWR, so I was expecting payload to go up slightly, apples to apples.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, I got it, I simply think with regular maintenance the new engines will last 150 to 200K. I think the only thing it will need is new turbos at some point in the 150/175k miles range.
I don't think that's not going to be a high labor item on a straight 6 and turbos aren't that expensive so say $2K repair bill for turbos at 150k+ miles.
With everyone complaining about the HEMI not lasting 100K miles due to failed lifters (if you buy into that BS), what's the real difference?

My experience with turbo engines (all engines really) is that changing the oil religiously helps longevity and honestly, the people following the oil life gauge for oil changes shouldn't expect a long engine life
Only 2k?
My friend paid 11k to get his Kia Optima repaired when his turbo blew on his 2.0L v4....
He was way underwater on his loan so he had to repair it instead of sell\junk it. He was at 65k miles on a 2015.

silver billet

Reaction score
But if we’ve learned anything from the forums, it’s that no one pays attention to the tow rating anyway lol.
So for real world use they’re pretty similar.

What I don’t understand is why the payload is lower. I’d have to think the Hurricane, even with all that plumbing and cooling, is still lighter than the cast iron Hemi??

And I seriously doubt they are changing the suspension/reducing GVWR, so I was expecting payload to go up slightly, apples to apples.

Also what's interesting is that the max tow rating has decreased vs the hemi in the 2019-2024. For all that increase in peak torque it's not looking like its doing any better at towing.

Maybe this porky pig needs to go on a diet, the F150 has a much higher tow rating with less power.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also what's interesting is that the max tow rating has decreased vs the hemi in the 2019-2024. For all that increase in peak torque it's not looking like its doing any better at towing.

Maybe this porky pig needs to go on a diet, the F150 has a much higher tow rating with less power
The F150 has a lighter aluminum body which gives back capacity. That said regardless of how it's rated the downside is a lighter truck is that it is less stable with a heavy load and gets pushed around easier by cross winds.

Phoon

Reaction score
The F150 has a lighter aluminum body which gives back capacity. That said regardless of how it's rated the downside is a lighter truck is that it is less stable with a heavy load and gets pushed around easier by cross winds.
These are also 1500 trucks. The priority for most people buying higher trim level trucks is comfort in the cab, ride quality and being a nice all round vehicle to drive with occasional towing and hauling. They aren't set up for heavy work- and are better for it. If you need more than 10K towing capacity a 3/4 ton will be better, but not as nice to drive or as comfortable.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These are also 1500 trucks. The priority for most people buying higher trim level trucks is comfort in the cab, ride quality and being a nice all round vehicle to drive with occasional towing and hauling. They aren't set up for heavy work- and are better for it. If you need more than 10K towing capacity a 3/4 ton will be better, but not as nice to drive or as comfortable.
I probably fit in this category as I don't really tow anything and I work from home so I just want a really comfortable ride for long trips for vacation for me and my family. I am not concerned about towing as much as I am the interior and the feel of the drive. I got a limited and I love my 2019 but the 2025 adds a lot of things I want/need. I drove the Grand Waggoner and I loved how it drove with the HO engine. There are a lot of people that want a concrete princess to drive around town (Me included). Maybe it makes me a fake Truck owner but I like having the ability to tow something just incase I ever get my father in law's boat. LOL.

BowDown

Reaction score
Only 2k?
My friend paid 11k to get his Kia Optima repaired when his turbo blew on his 2.0L v4....
He was way underwater on his loan so he had to repair it instead of sell\junk it. He was at 65k miles on a 2015.

IDK, guessing but if a 2022 Supra Premium TT assembly is $1500 from Toyota for a BMW engine, I'm doubting the Hurricane TT assembly will be more given its not BMW.

Capture.JPG

As for your friend, $11K? Something being left out or they saw him coming

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only 2k?
Sounds like your friend got taken for a ride not being able to do his own work.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Maybe this porky pig needs to go on a diet, the F150 has a much higher tow rating with less power.
Also, if I recall the gen 5.0/Hemi ram only got those 12k+ tow ratings thanks to a special Max Tow package available only on a Tradesman Quadcab 2wd.

I wonder if they did away with that package for 2025, and if a better comparison would be between 24 v 25 for a Crew Cab 4x4?

1707941615883.png

Phoon

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, these trucks are now super nice SUV's with the added ability to put stuff in the bed. If they happen to be faster than some sports cars and nicer inside than sedans then more power to them! half tons are no longer for the guy that puts 300 thousand miles on pulling a trailer... go buy a one ton if that is what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread