5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has not had issues with 3rd brake light leaking?

cochise111

Reaction score
Deciding to replace the 3rd brake light gasket or not preemptively. Who has not had an issue with it leaking in car washes? If yours has been fine, what is your build date?
I can't believe they are still having this issue. I had a 2014 Limited, and I awakened one more to find my backseat flooded. At the time there was no upgraded gasket, so I just siliconed it until a new gasket was available. Ridiculous.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Never had a leak 19 ram build date March 2018

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I rained heavily this morning and no leaks. I peeled off the Flex Tape yesterday and was afraid I'd come out to a wet, stained headliner but nothing. Perhaps the Flex Tape was trapping the water in a certain area (after it entered where the Flex Tape was dry and cracked) and channeling it to a specific area of the window. No leaks so I'm going to keep an eye on it to see what happens...the good news is I don't have any visible cracks in the plastic around the sliding glass window so I may be in a little better position than those poor guys who have cracks and wet/stained headliners.

It does make one wonder why Ram can't seem to get it right with these rear sliding glass windows/CHMSL. If they can't get it correct, they need to go back to a solid piece of glass and a gun rack in the rear window like the old days. Heck, they could probably charge more for it than the sliding rear window and have happier customers!

Last edited:

jtothecruz

Reaction score
Cruz, it looks like you kept the factory gasket/seal on the third brake light assembly and added the seal, sticky side, to the inside of the compartment the break light assembly sits in... can you confirm?
Thanks.
Yes I kept the factory seal for extra protection.

Camelot

Reaction score
Got my rear window replaced yesterday. (3 Week old Limited) Looks to be an issue when they install the glass and not glue / seal properly

yellowboy

Reaction score
Got my rear window replaced yesterday. (3 Week old Limited) Looks to be an issue when they install the glass and not glue / seal properly
Good luck, they have to put something on the invoice to justify the parts and labor. I started with that part and explanation, then went to a 3rd brake light then an antenna mount before mine stopped leaking.

Last edited:

bhurst10

Reaction score
Had mines since April 2019 build date Jan 2019 no leaks and I frequent a touch less car wash regularly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No leaks but replaced with the new version (double top seal and different screws). Better to be proactive than take care of a problem later on. Total cost was a little over $42.00.

from Milwaukee Mopar Parts
68298380ag Center High Mounted Stop Lamp $25.59 1 $25.59
shipping was $9.74

From Mopar Discounted Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6036802AA​
Screw​
$0.67​
8​
$5.36​

Subtotal: $5.36​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $6.97​
Total: $12.33​

Clayinfla

Reaction score
Got my 2020 in March 20. No leaks. Driven in some exceptionally heavy Fl rainstorms for 5-6 hours, but no problems( so far) in 16 months.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
No leaks on my 2014 which I replaced a couple months ago with a 2021. So far no leaking on the 2021.

jtothecruz

Reaction score
2021 - 6 months of ownership ( I know its not a lot) and after adding the seal, its still not leaking even after several rain storms

jth877

Reaction score
2020 built 11/19. No light leak. Checked the screws and they weren't very tight.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No leaks but replaced with the new version (double top seal and different screws). Better to be proactive than take care of a problem later on. Total cost was a little over $42.00.

from Milwaukee Mopar Parts
68298380ag Center High Mounted Stop Lamp $25.59 1 $25.59
shipping was $9.74

From Mopar Discounted Parts
Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
6036802AA​
Screw​
$0.67​
8​
$5.36​

Subtotal: $5.36​
Estimated Shipping to 10314 via Standard Shipping: $6.97​
Total: $12.33​

Replaced the seal with the one from Lowes late fall. No issues. Wondering if I should get the updated screws (wonder what is different)?

Jako

Reaction score
Replaced the seal with the one from Lowes late fall. No issues. Wondering if I should get the updated screws (wonder what is different)?
see post 21

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
see post 21

Is there any consensus on the part number? Your posted on part number, then in that thread there is a different part number.

I think I'm going to order the new ones and put them in. Maybe will just call the dealer with my vin and get them there (still probably would be cheaper than paying shipping).

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy a roll of butyl tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCB4JS. It'll cost you $10. Throw gaskets away. Apply it all the way around. and remove tape from the outside side just before installing it. tighten it down just until it starts to smoosh out, a couple mm. Take a putty knife or soft object and carefully cut by pressing in, all they way around the edge removing what you squeezed out. DO NOT CUT IT LIKE A STEAK. NO SAWING. only press in and pinch it off slowly. Don't over tighten it.

It will never ever leak again. Unless you crack the plastic or remove it and reinstall wrong.

tips, don't stretch it. Toss the roll in the fridge or freezer to make it firm and not putty like. Especially if its very hot. Peel the tape off while its cold.

Jako

Reaction score
Is there any consensus on the part number? Your posted on part number, then in that thread there is a different part number.

I think I'm going to order the new ones and put them in. Maybe will just call the dealer with my vin and get them there (still probably would be cheaper than paying shipping).
Good idea calling the dealer if unsure, keep the forum posted of the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread