5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has not had issues with 3rd brake light leaking?

JbVt

Reaction score
Built 5/2020. Changed out bulbs and no leak.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to check since it's been pretty wet recently but I've not noticed any leaks on mine yet. I've got the gasket material ready at the first sign. I've also replaced the lights with LEDs.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I noticed half a year ago that I had a water mark/line running across the entire rear, right in front of the rear window from end to end. Thought, OK I had left the slider open one night (which I did) and maybe that was the problem.

Then couple days ago we had bad rain storm, opened rear left door and sure enough, big water puddle in the headliner above rear/driver section.

Not impressed at all.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Between parking in a garage and the drought this year, there wasn't a lot of opportunities for leaks. First big storm this fall, and thanks to the paranoia induced from this site, I caught the leak immediately. One tiny drip in the corner, no stain thankfully due to a black headliner. Upon inspection of the gasket it was found to be soaked like a sponge.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no leaks, but when I swapped out my bulbs for led, I did some "Flex Seal" around the opening for added insurance.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no leaks, but when I swapped out my bulbs for led, I did some "Flex Seal" around the opening for added insurance.
Although I’ve never had any leaks, I’ve thought about using FlexSeal as added protection before installing my new Leer canopy. Mind if I ask if you used FlexSeal spray, liquid or ? to do the job?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No leaks or cracks. Changed the bulbs out for LEDS. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Although I’ve never had any leaks, I’ve thought about using FlexSeal as added protection before installing my new Leer canopy. Mind if I ask if you used FlexSeal spray, liquid or ? to do the job?
My LEER canopy/topper will be in next week so I wanted to get ready to ensure no potential CHMSL issues after it is installed. I picked up some 4” clear Flex Tape which is the perfect size to seal from the bottom of the brake light to just before the satellite antenna. Works perfect and appears I shouldn’t have any issues for a few years.

If you decide to do it, start by applying the Flex Tape at the bottom of the light. Make sure you’ve got 1/8” to 1/4” of the tip hanging below the bottom of the light as you’ll use this to roll it under the lens after you’ve worked any bubbles out that have to go down instead of up. Now start pressing it on by rolling up with your hand. I started 3” over to the left of the light and applied it along the bottom edge of the fixture until I was 3” over to the right pay the light. Then start applying it rolling with your hand from top to bottom. Get all bubbles out, finish by rolling the bottom ends under the light and you’re done.

Also, I tested it on the inside of my bed to see how removable it will be if I need to replace it or change a bulb. I stuck it on and left it on over two nights. This afternoon it peeled off after spraying it with orange citrus sticker remover, letting it sit for five minutes and thepeeling on a leading edge. Also, it doesn’t degrade the brightness of the LEDs so should be fine...time will tell.

2CFF96E4-D6F3-4118-BE59-1D2CED2832E7.jpeg A2968FAC-47DB-4D9E-86FB-7690A0F9EA9F.jpeg 13FE3CBF-1DCE-493E-B9BC-61D10C93E13D.jpeg

Last edited:

coolidge

Reaction score
2021 Rebel, 1,200 miles here in the Pacific NW rain forest and so far no leaks.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My LEER canopy/topper will be in next week so I wanted to get ready to ensure no potential CHMSL issues after it is installed. I picked up some 4” clear Flex Tape which is the perfect size to seal from the bottom of the brake light to just before the satellite antenna. Works perfect and appears I shouldn’t have any issues for a few years.

If you decide to do it, start by applying the Flex Tape at the bottom of the light. Make sure you’ve got 1/8” to 1/4” of the tip hanging below the bottom of the light as you’ll use this to roll it under the lens after you’ve worked any bubbles out that have to go down instead of up. Now start pressing it on by rolling up with your hand. I started 3” over to the left of the light and applied it along the bottom edge of the fixture until I was 3” over to the right pay the light. Then start applying it rolling with your hand from top to bottom. Get all bubbles out, finish by rolling the bottom ends under the light and you’re done.

Also, I tested it on the inside of my bed to see how removable it will be if I need to replace it or change a bulb. I stuck it on and left it on over two nights. This afternoon it peeled off after spraying it with orange citrus sticker remover, letting it sit for five minutes and thepeeling on a leading edge. Also, it doesn’t degrade the brightness of the LEDs so should be fine...time will tell.

View attachment 79047 View attachment 79048 View attachment 79049
Woke up during the night to hear it raining hard. Has been raining all morning and will continue until this evening. My CHMSL has never leaked but wanted to ensure it doesn’t develop into a problem as the gasket goes through free/thaw cycles and degrades over time. $12.50 for the Flex Tape was cheap insurance. No more worries.

And the beauty is I have enough for another application...if I ever need to record the CHMSL.

fridge

Reaction score
Well, I spoke to soon. Woke up this morning to rain and decided to give it a quick check. Yep, a very slight leak.

Users who are viewing this thread