5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has not had issues with 3rd brake light leaking?

U

User_63152

any 2022's being reported?
I am not sure about 2022. Personally, I think FCA just doesn't care about it. Or, They would have done something concrete. I did notice on mine that there was an extra piece of foam draped across the top of the light. Looks like an afterthought fix.

I was lucky. I didn't have any leaks on the OEM. Even after I initially changed the bulbs to LED. But, I haven't tested the Recon light fixture yet. Too damn cold out.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 38

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure about 2022. Personally, I think FCA just doesn't care about it. Or, They would have done something concrete. I did notice on mine that there was an extra piece of foam draped across the top of the light. Looks like an afterthought fix.

I was lucky. I didn't have any leaks on the OEM. Even after I initially changed the bulbs to LED. But, I haven't tested the Recon light fixture yet. Too damn cold out.

My recon did not come with that extra piece of foam…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_63152

My recon did not come with that extra piece of foam…

That's my OEM light in the picture.

The box for the Recon just happened to be in the background. I am storing the OEM fixture in that box.

U

User_63152

I went through a high pressure car wash earlier. I didn't find any leaks. So, I guess I am good with the Recon. (y)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went through a high pressure car wash earlier. I didn't find any leaks. So, I guess I am good with the Recon. (y)
You just need to have a little patience. Mine didn’t leak until I had the truck for almost three years. Your time is gonna come! LOL! I literally just made it in under the warranty by less than a month, but they did cover it. I also had the rear window leak as well around 18 months.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Yes don't assume that. Mine would leak on and off --one day a half inch of rain would cause it to leak, the next time it rained 2 1/2 inches it did not. Depends on tilt of vehicle , and many other factors. In NC 4 repair attempts you can file LL law and so far I had 4. Warranty is done mid June so I will know what to do by then. I can't tell you how much time and inconvenience I have wasted on this getting this P.O.S fixed.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't understand why FCA is using FOAM gaskets any how? Foam...it ABSORBS water lol, which will eventually seep down (due to the whole gravity thing) and then into the cab. They need to apply a true rubber gasket that can't absorb water and the problem would be solved. At least as far as water coming in from the third brake light.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All 3rd brake lights use a dense foam. It creates a better barrier.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't understand why FCA is using FOAM gaskets any how? Foam...it ABSORBS water lol, which will eventually seep down (due to the whole gravity thing) and then into the cab. They need to apply a true rubber gasket that can't absorb water and the problem would be solved. At least as far as water coming in from the third brake light.
most cars on the road today use this same gasket for the tail lights and third brake lights. My Mercedes uses it on the tail lights, never had an issue. I think ram screwed up by allowing the brake light to have open access into the vehicle. They should of had a opening just for the light and made the harness come though the body into the opening for the light, and use a plug in the body to seal off the harness

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer today and the recognized the issue right away with the leaking window frame. My SA said he replaces about 1 rear window a day on the rams and there happened to be another one in front of me in line for the same issue. No recall at this time.

Here's the cherry: Even with an extended factory warranty, they will not replace the failed part unless I shell out $2000. RAM you have just created a loyal Toyota customer and another FCA naysayer for life. This truck has been the biggest piece of $64,000 garbage I have ever owned. Never again will you get my business or from anyone I know if I can help it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Toyota trucks experience rear window leaks as well. With angry owners.

If you hop on their perspective forums also

Scram1500

Reaction score
The special treatment one receives from a Ram dealership is usually the reason why people jump off the bandwagon

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Which is still dealer by dealer.

Every brand has horrid dealers.

Just always funny seeing people complain and then proclaim they are going with brand X.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer today and the recognized the issue right away with the leaking window frame. My SA said he replaces about 1 rear window a day on the rams and there happened to be another one in front of me in line for the same issue. No recall at this time.

Here's the cherry: Even with an extended factory warranty, they will not replace the failed part unless I shell out $2000. RAM you have just created a loyal Toyota customer and another FCA naysayer for life. This truck has been the biggest piece of $64,000 garbage I have ever owned. Never again will you get my business or from anyone I know if I can help it.
replace the rear window with a solid rear window, probably cheaper.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Which is still dealer by dealer.

Every brand has horrid dealers.

Just always funny seeing people complain and then proclaim they are going with brand X.

Yeah it’s like if for years a woman cheats on me and steals from me and finally find my limits I leave her and you’re implying I’m not being logical(?!) I’m just sounding a warning to stay away from this disaster of a woman.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was preemptive and replaced mine with the (at the time) newest part number (68298380G) and haven’t had any water leak issues.

Nachotaco

Reaction score

why isn't it covered by the extended warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread