5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has not had issues with 3rd brake light leaking?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good idea calling the dealer if unsure, keep the forum posted of the outcome.

Ordered from the dealer. Allowed me to order 4 instead of a pack of 8. $2.xx each. I think they said the part number was 6036802AA, same as yours above.

Put them in today. They are basically the same, but about a half inch shorter, a different head, and different washer. Be sure to use a screw driver to tighten down, and do the inside ones first. Then alternate between the outside and inside until all are tight (don't tighten too much as that might break the plastic).

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have never had a leak over 5 rams in the family

What's your secret, clean living? I must be a real 💩head, mine leaked from the shark fin and brake light. Now its leaking from the cracks in the rear window frame. Time to find an exorcist for this thing

Klicht87

Reaction score
After getting hit by Tropical Storm Henri here in CT I now have a wet headliner from the third breaklight. I have the LED brake light with the camera for the digital mirror. Hopefully the evidence stays after it dries so I can show the dealership.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After getting hit by Tropical Storm Henri here in CT I now have a wet headliner from the third breaklight. I have the LED breaklight with the camera for the digital mirror. Hopefully the evidence stays after it dries so I can show the dealership.
Seems the issue is if the foam OEM gasket gets too saturated. The hurricane rain was too much. Some people have said it is fine with regular rain but not car wash.

I did the marine gasket replacement mod last fall before ever taking it through the car wash. Put the newly updated part number screws in a couple weeks ago, even though I probably didn't have to.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Seems the issue is if the foam OEM gasket gets too saturated. The hurricane rain was too much. Some people have said it is fine with regular rain but not car wash.

I did the marine gasket replacement mod last fall before ever taking it through the car wash. Put the newly updated part number screws in a couple weeks ago, even though I probably didn't have to.
I'll probably end up doing that. My light is being replaced under warranty, even though I doubt the part and gasket changed at all. I didn't want to do anything to make the dealer deny warranty work.

L a r r y

Reaction score
Before I had this issue, I took some silicone and put a small bead around the inside of the 3rd brake light to keep it from happening

wvinson

Reaction score
Just got my my 3rd brake light replaced after replacing rear glass did not fix leaking problem. Hopefully this replacement with the new screws also will stop it.

bpwj76

Reaction score
My 3rd brake light doesn't leak, but the other day the passenger side white bed light section went out. This is concerning to me, because LED's are supposed to last a very long time. I've contacted the dealer to get a replacement under warranty. I assume it will get a whole new light assembly. I hope the new light doesn't leak afterwards.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my my 3rd brake light replaced after replacing rear glass did not fix leaking problem. Hopefully this replacement with the new screws also will stop it.
Coming from the shark fin maybe?

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
Well, here I am a year later and I now see that I have stains on both sides of my headliner in the back. I scheduled an appointment and took the truck to the local dealership. I also contact Rob @RamCares (on this forum). The dealership replaced the gasket around the third brake light and made an appointment with the local car wash to clean the headliner next week.
Thanks to Rob @RamCares for his help with escalating the repair request. I was amazed that the part was there and did not have to be ordered.

Attachments

• 20220101_141005.jpg
    20220101_141005.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220101_141011.jpg
    20220101_141011.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Neither my ‘21 or ‘22 have that issue.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well, here I am a year later and I now see that I have stains on both sides of my headliner in the back. I scheduled an appointment and took the truck to the local dealership. I also contact Rob @RamCares (on this forum). The dealership replaced the gasket around the third brake light and made an appointment with the local car wash to clean the headliner next week.
Thanks to Rob @RamCares for his help with escalating the repair request. I was amazed that the part was there and did not have to be ordered.
It looks like your C-Pillar is stained to at the top.

stronbl

Reaction score
2020 1500 Limited - received June 2020 - so far never had any leaks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Built to Serve. Just went over 20k miles. No leaks, but it does spend most of its time in the heated garage when not being driven

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We've had eighteen Rams (1500, 2500 and one 3500) in the family since 1994 with no less than three in the driveway at any given time and have never had one leak at the 3rd brake light or the shark fin antenna.

With that said, we did have one 2020 Lone Star that leaked but it wasn't Ram's fault. I used some FlexSealTape to proactively seal up the 3rd brake light to prevent any future leaks...that backfired as the FlexSealTape got brittle in six months of Texas heat and formed a channel at the top of the sliding rear glass window for water to leak into. I removed the FlexSealTape and no more leak ever again.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Deciding to replace the 3rd brake light gasket or not preemptively. Who has not had an issue with it leaking in car washes? If yours has been fine, what is your build date?
My 2020 Laramie 1500 has never leaked at the 3rd brake light, nor has my rear window frame cracked.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
7,500 miles on my 2021 Rebel and no leaks of any kind.

I like reading all the posts from long time owners and multiple vehicle owners that say they've never had a Ram truck leak. My last two Fords leaked from everywhere, routinely. The third brake light, the antenna, the sliding rear window, sunroof, heck I even had it leak from where the factory forgot to install a rivet and there was just an open hole letting water in. I had more water in those trucks than an aquarium. Now that i'm thinking about it, even the regular brake like leaked. The drivers side tail light would fill up with water when it rained. If memory serves me right, there were two or three bulbs in the tail-light, and the bottom one would always be out because it was underwater so much. :ROFLMAO: Now when it's raining and I walk out to my Rebel, I smile every time I see the empty tail-light.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread