5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Helped the in-laws out and picked up pallets of wood pellets for them. Took half and went back for another. 1/2 tone makes her squat level.
1239115e9973fecba8292ba7a8b7df2b.jpg

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is what I did to my ram today. Took her offroad for the first time.

P.s. don't know if you can see in the far right corner is my charger...hiding from the dirt...lol
a4f96a1c9c9f3033af62d71588fe5a92.jpg

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Dude, in a forum full of cool trucks…your truck stands out.
well done sir.

I have decided that i am going to like it.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
So not sure if I post this here since it's not technically on yet, but trying to get new uca's on and I am having a huge hard time trying to get the, :Strike the ball joint boss with a dead blow
hammer to dislodge the taper part done. It's really in there good, I've been banging on it with 4lbs hammer on side and on the bolt and nut portion trying to pop it up, neither is working. I think next solution might be getting these u shaped prong things I saw someone using on YouTube unless anybody has and idea's.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So not sure if I post this here since it's not technically on yet, but trying to get new uca's on and I am having a huge hard time trying to get the, :Strike the ball joint boss with a dead blow
hammer to dislodge the taper part done. It's really in there good, I've been banging on it with 4lbs hammer on side and on the bolt and nut portion trying to pop it up, neither is working. I think next solution might be getting these u shaped prong things I saw someone using on YouTube unless anybody has and idea's.
Don’t know if you’ve done it yet, but you could try leaving the suspension hanging, then putting a jack under the lower control arm and have it set so it’s just touching. Then hit that spindle with the hammer like it owes you money.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It all comes with experience. I have seen guys wailing on spindles with no luck, but the guys who’ve been doing it for a long time are a few hits and it’s off. It’s usually the rust buckets that cause the most issues, and I use a pneumatic hammer for those if I need to save the ball joint. A pickle fork is a last resort, at least for me.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Mine would not come out with just using a hammer. I put a ratchet and socket on the hex part below the nut and applied twisting force when hitting with the hammer.
Giving that another try this morning, will a little more umph this time. Was to afraid of busting it before

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
It all comes with experience. I have seen guys wailing on spindles with no luck, but the guys who’ve been doing it for a long time are a few hits and it’s off. It’s usually the rust buckets that cause the most issues, and I use a pneumatic hammer for those if I need to save the ball joint. A pickle fork is a last resort, at least for me.
Mine only has 500 miles on it, lol. What also had me unsure was a one if the instructions for the bds uca's but same method of install except this:
Remove the upper control arm from the vehicle. Do not hit the aluminum steering knuckle with a hammer to dislodge the upper ball joint
taper. Chrysler manual recommends #8677 ball joint tool. (Fig 1) Failure to properly disassemble the ball joint may weaken the factory
aluminum knuckle and cause premature failure.

Didn't really want to break something this early in the game. Lol

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I have one of these tools
719S+FDoEUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You can borrow on at AutoZone or O'Rielys for $0. The pickle fork destroys the ball joint boot so that's a last resort. If you cant get a tool, spray some wd-40 or similar on the top of the UCA where the ball joint connects and let it sit for a few min then put the nut back on the ball joint just enough to cover the bottom the threaded post and hit it a few times

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine only has 500 miles on it, lol. What also had me unsure was a one if the instructions for the bds uca's but same method of install except this:
Remove the upper control arm from the vehicle. Do not hit the aluminum steering knuckle with a hammer to dislodge the upper ball joint
taper. Chrysler manual recommends #8677 ball joint tool. (Fig 1) Failure to properly disassemble the ball joint may weaken the factory
aluminum knuckle and cause premature failure.

Didn't really want to break something this early in the game. Lol

Yeah, I wouldn't hit the knuckle/spindle with anything
This is really all you need if you have a harbor freight near by
image_12294.jpg

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I finally got it done thanks to you. Had to make a trip to harbor freight and pick this up, even then it still took some good smacks to pop it loose. I guess someone must have been over torquey at the factory. Now hopefully the rest goes smoother
Yeah, I wouldn't hit the knuckle/spindle with anything
This is really all you need if you have a harbor freight near by
image_12294.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread