5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, it’s broken:(

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s just it… they aren’t really giving me one. It “sounds” like they are beating around the bush and trying to not blame me. But no one has come out and said that. I called the manufacturer and they recommended getting it towed to a different dealer but no one wants to touch it.
So. They will not fix it at all? Or will not fix it as warranty?

Is there other damage? Or just what we can see in your original Pics?

Why I keep not wanting a new truck. The parts issues and blame game just erks me to no end.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel resistance… give a little gas
fine till I started to move forward and hit any resistance. Gave it a little throttle (was not enough to start a spin), I did turn the wheel and then the sadness happened
Feeing resistance and proceeding to give it gas while turning the wheel makes me cringe.

Adding torque (gas pedal) to the situation where the wheels aren’t spinning, turned and locked in 4-LO could absolutely cause breakage.

Unfortunately if you push Ram for warranty coverage I imagine they could pull vehicle data and could piece together 4-LO engaged plus steering wheel position and throttle position % ... it would not be in your favor.

Camelot

Reaction score
Feeing resistance and proceeding to give it gas while turning the wheel makes me cringe.

Adding torque (gas pedal) to the situation where the wheels aren’t spinning, turned and locked in 4-LO could absolutely cause breakage.

Unfortunately if you push Ram for warranty coverage I imagine they could pull vehicle data and could piece together 4-LO engaged plus steering wheel position and throttle position % ... it would not be in your favor.
You obviously never off-road a vehicle. He did nothing wrong, should be covered by warranty. It was in his drive way.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

WTH kinda world do you live in where you cant turn the steering wheel on your car? 4 Lo has its issues, but its tire wear and skittering, not self disassembly.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Op did nothing incorrectly per the owners manual.

If the parameters aren’t met, the truck will not shift into 4low.

Unless there was an issue with a sensor somewhere in the truck that caused something internally to not fully engage and bind.

779f477d6352730a85dff0de16e14264.jpg

506b5bb90fe93f3dadee590354d2ca96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look yet another manual contradiction.

Don't exceed 25mph in 4 lo, followed on next page where the locker on 4 lo works up to 40mph...

I swear FCA has loopholes big enough for any lawyer to fit their new private island through them.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WTH kinda world do you live in where you cant turn the steering wheel on your car? 4 Lo has its issues, but its tire wear and skittering, not self disassembly.

There needs to be serious lack of traction issues when turning the wheels in 4-LO (on pavement!)

Yes 4-HI will skitter when turning, but it’s only 1:1 and 4-LO is a different beast with torque multiplication

I simply think there is enough evidence supplied by the OP to cause doubt on mechanical failure or accidental misuse.

This is not a slam dunk case either way.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Get a lawyer.

A few years ago, when the Shelby GT500 was released (the one with 600+ HP) a buddy of mine bought one from the local dealer. A few weeks later it had a major problem with the clutch and the dealer told him he was hot rodding it and they were never going to fix it under warranty.

He had a lawyer send them a letter, and they fixed it under warranty in a timely manner.

It's easy to tell an individual to screw off, but they can't tell a lawsuit to screw off. They have to deal with that, and many times simply doing the repair will cost them less than dealing with a lawsuit.

It's time for you to hire one.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

What kind of messed up junk 4x4 do you drive that you cannot put it in 4 LO and turn the wheel all the way? You would never survive on a Jeep trail. I know my 21 will turn full lock in 4 LO no fuss. So will my old beater Jeep and all my past 4x4s. If you don't think yours will do it, don't leave the safety of dry pavement.

off-roading with Jeep for 20+ years, never needed 4-LO in my drive way.

Well to be fair that is because you are using a Jeep. Far superior off road capability in a Jeep. I know many here will be butt hurt hearing that, but it is true.

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
What about taking to another dealer? Dealer gets paid for the repair by fca. No reason they should refuse the business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one else would touch it around here, to far booked out. The were refusing to do warranty, not the work itself.

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
You're absolutely right, this thread has ventured pretty far off track. Mostly I guess, because we're all still left hanging on what Ram did or didn't do for the OP. Enquiring minds want to know..

Ha ha, you know it. Gotta nerd out from time to time.
And I agree, it sounds like a defect to me too. I've seen some pretty abusive behavior on 4wd systems over the years, and pulling out of a parking space seems very mild by comparison.
So far the manufacturer said they are taking care of it now… so things are looking up.

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
So. They will not fix it at all? Or will not fix it as warranty?

Is there other damage? Or just what we can see in your original Pics?

Why I keep not wanting a new truck. The parts issues and blame game just erks me to no end.
They did not want to do it as a warranty, there was zero other damage other than the pictures.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What kind of messed up junk 4x4 do you drive that you cannot put it in 4 LO and turn the wheel all the way? You would never survive on a Jeep trail. I know my 21 will turn full lock in 4 LO no fuss. So will my old beater Jeep and all my past 4x4s. If you don't think yours will do it, don't leave the safety of dry pavement.

Turning the wheel all the way in 4-LO off-road is an entirely different story.... *he was in his drive way*

Luckily OP has 3.92 gears otherwise if he had 3.21 I’m sure you’d gently suggest that the truck simply tried to off itself and put it out of its own misery

steveved

Reaction score
Always amazed hearing of dealers booked up so far ahead, I’m pissed if I can’t get into mine within a day if not same day.
Not that unusual though. 6 months ago, when I suspected my battery had died, I called my dealer since it is still under warranty. I was told it would be 2 to 3 days before they could look and diagnose it. So, I went to a NAPA store where they hooked a battery tester up and confirmed I had 2 shorted cells. So, I chose to spend $220 on a new AGM battery instead of going 3 days without my truck for them to (most likely) prorate a new battery for me since my truck was 2months shy of 3 years old. So, I feel like in the end, I only spent $100 more than I would have going to the dealer. But, I didn't have to wait.

I am at the point when I would only take mine to the dealer in the event of a catastrophic failure. Everything else, I will do on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/