5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, it’s broken:(

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
Story time everyone,
So I’m in New England, just south of Boston. Yesterday about midday, I decided that I’m going to the gym before the snow gets to bad and I actually have to shovel my truck out. (There’s about a foot in front of my driveway from the plows). So I start the ol’Rebel up for about 10 mins, slam some Pre Workout and it’s time. I put the truck into 4Low, lock the locker (because why not), then proceeded to inch forward; I feel resistance… give a little gas, she starts to crawl…. Then !!!POP**CLUNk**!!! I stop. Put it in reverse, the clunk gets worse! So I back her up back into my drive way. Proceed to shovel everything around the truck so I can crawl under… the Transfer case snap off the bolts and the front drive shaft is laying on the sway bar :(

Now the feeling of (my damn new truck is broken [1100 miles]) + a two scooper of Pre Workout is sitting in my dome piece… please sweet baby Jesus I hope the dealership doesn’t say I was doing dumb **** and broke it!!

Attachments

• DC68843E-8E7C-4C0B-84C8-57E6B24C718D.jpeg
    DC68843E-8E7C-4C0B-84C8-57E6B24C718D.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 606
  • 552706C3-6A6D-449A-A5CA-69B282A54E17.jpeg
    552706C3-6A6D-449A-A5CA-69B282A54E17.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 604

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I agree don’t volunteer any information. Hopefully it’s a speedy warranty repair and your dealer takes care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is locking the diff a no no in 4wd lo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really the only time you are likely to use it, it should only be done during low-speed, off-road situations, specifically when one wheel is not likely to be on the ground. In 4WD Low, the locker can engage up to 40 mph.

In any other situation, 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD high, the locker can only engage up to 20 mph. It will disengage over 25 mph.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Story time everyone,
So I’m in New England, just south of Boston. Yesterday about midday, I decided that I’m going to the gym before the snow gets to bad and I actually have to shovel my truck out. (There’s about a foot in front of my driveway from the plows). So I start the ol’Rebel up for about 10 mins, slam some Pre Workout and it’s time. I put the truck into 4Low, lock the locker (because why not), then proceeded to inch forward; I feel resistance… give a little gas, she starts to crawl…. Then !!!POP**CLUNk**!!! I stop. Put it in reverse, the clunk gets worse! So I back her up back into my drive way. Proceed to shovel everything around the truck so I can crawl under… the Transfer case snap off the bolts and the front drive shaft is laying on the sway bar :(

Now the feeling of (my damn new truck is broken [1100 miles]) + a two scooper of Pre Workout is sitting in my dome piece… please sweet baby Jesus I hope the dealership doesn’t say I was doing dumb **** and broke it!!

Sounds like a fault in the vehicle to me, nothing you did based on the description above should have caused that. 4WD Low with the locker and barely moving isn't going to harm anything.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's really the only time you are likely to use it, it should only be done during low-speed, off-road situations, specifically when one wheel is not likely to be on the ground. In 4WD Low, the locker can engage up to 40 mph.

In any other situation, 2WD, 4WD Auto and 4WD high, the locker can only engage up to 20 mph. It will disengage over 25 mph.

Thanks for the details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Story time everyone,

I’ve been driving four wheel drive SUVs and trucks since the 1970’s, and have used 4LO only twice - in 3-1/2’ of snow on an icy road in a mountain pass at night in Alaska and I was creeping along to ensure I didn’t spend the night in the ditch (wherever it was) in the middle of nowhere. 4HI has always been sufficient. Granted, the front DS shouldn’t have snapped but I’m curious why you choose 4LO or is it a typo? Have you driven it in 4LO before?

Last edited:

Camelot

Reaction score
You did nothing wrong from what I can tell. although 4LO is really not a good choice for speed over 25 mph. Its an off road gear.

Mudstone

Reaction score
Story time everyone,

Just wondering, doesn't the RAM manual (or other sources) say you MUST be driving at a low speed in order to switch to 4-low? Other modes, 2wd, 4-auto and 4 high can be switched at a stationary position (or while moving)?
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread