5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, it’s broken:(

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is just crazy. has to be some sort of metallurgical defect that was already there. be thankful it reared its head in your driveway and not leaving you stranded somewhere. either way, I'd assume the dealer/FCA will cover this.
Right, it's not like it just got bent, twisted, crunched, or had some kind of internal parts failure. It simply vacated the premises 😟

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right, it's not like it just got bent, twisted, crunched, or had some kind of internal parts failure. It simply vacated the premises 😟
We don't actually know that yet. There could still be an issue in the front diff or transfer case.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We don't actually know that yet. There could still be an issue in the front diff or transfer case.
True about the "internal parts issue" portion of what I said, I'm just shocked that it went straight to "pop right off". Like damn.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True about the "internal parts issue" portion of what I said, I'm just shocked that it went straight to "pop right off". Like damn.
In my mind, I go to something failed and doesn't have a tight tolerance anymore. When torque is applied, it shifts and binds. I could be way off base, but I've seen that happen before.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
noun:

clunk; plural noun: clunks

1. a heavy, dull sound such as that made by thick pieces of metal striking together. "there was a clunk under my truck when I tried to simply drive out of my F’ing driveway"
Roger that, was just trying to emphasize the point of not knowing what happened; not knowing anything from anything. Just tell'em it just stopped working.

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
Is the dealer being cooperative?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the service manager said it’s going to be a long process (3 months) and that there is a good chance Chrysler may not cover it. I looked over the truck with him, pointed out that
1: it’s a new truck (two months old)
2: I have not got dogged this truck one bit
(I legitimately haven’t… I was waiting for the first oil change and a complete break in lol )
3: I will not pay for something that’s 100% not my fault

Devildawgusmc

Reaction score
So the service manager said it’s going to be a long process (3 months) and that there is a good chance Chrysler may not cover it. I looked over the truck with him, pointed out that
(I legitimately haven’t… I was waiting for the first oil change and a complete break in lol )
If they don’t cover it or take longer than 30 days, send them a certified letter and fight them under the lemon law.

You did nothing wrong, the truck should have been able to handle what you described, or one of its many safety mechanisms should have kicked in and preventing you from doing it.

BNJMN

Reaction score
There's a reason defects are measured at "parts per million". Them selling 60 trucks a month doesn't mean anything! They should be of the frame of mind to immediately go to bat, get it covered, get it fixed and get you a ride while it's being worked on!

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
He said “we sell 60 trucks a month and have never seen this”. I think they don’t believe me basically

They'll be paying for it. By his logic, the only thing that can ever go wrong is something that he personally has seen before, and that is not how the world works.

Every single problem they see was at one point "the first" of its kind.

They sell 60 trucks a month? Ram sold 563,000 trucks last year...his tiny 60 trucks a month in no way represents what could be happening with the total universe of trucks sold. He's a tiny cog in a very big machine.

If all you did was put it in 4WD (high or low doesn't matter) and start to drive forward, and it broke, then they sold you a defective machine.

I have put 4WD systems through so much worse, for long periods of time and never had anything break. On every truck I've had, I've eventually forgotten to take my truck out of 4W High before leaving the farm, and I drove 75 miles home at highway speeds on dry pavement, only to realize my mistake when I went to turn into my driveway and felt it binding. Nothing ever broke, not on any of them.

My money says they'll be paying for that repair. I see no logical way out of it.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Why did he say that they might not cover it? Is he accusing you?

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
Why did he say that they might not cover it? Is he accusing you?

I’m not going to say he’s accusing, but he definitely sounded skeptical. They got me a rental… a Rav 4, I will say Rav 4’s have come a long way but I’m 6’4 240, I’m not exactly comfortable lol They are waiting till the warranty manager comes in and has a conversation tomorrow to give me a definitive answer. Needless to say, I’m kinda worried when he started talking about I may have to go through Insurence!!

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not going to say he’s accusing, but he definitely sounded skeptical. They got me a rental… a Rav 4, I will say Rav 4’s have come a long way but I’m 6’4 240, I’m not exactly comfortable lol They are waiting till the warranty manager comes in and has a conversation tomorrow to give me a definitive answer. Needless to say, I’m kinda worried when he started talking about I may have to go through Insurence!!

I don’t think insurance will pay since it wasn’t an accident and it’s not like you drive over a log or something Sounds like he’s setting you up to pass the buck. Contact ‘ramcares’ through this forum if you get a ****ty answer. Ramcares seems to be pretty helpful

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I'm posting ramcares so they can get involved

@RamCares

22Rebel_USCG

Reaction score
I don’t think insurance will pay since it wasn’t an accident and it’s not like you drive over a log or something Sounds like he’s setting you up to pass the buck. Contact ‘ramcares’ through this forum if you get a ****ty answer. Ramcares seems to be pretty helpful

Thank you, I had no idea about that!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@22Rebel_USCG , I have no idea where all the comments in the beginning of this thread are coming from. Your truck is meant to use 4 low with lockers. If you are sitting on snow all the more reason to use it. It is an electronic shift. It will only shift when it is able.

That service guy needs to pull his head out of his ***. He needs to fix your truck. He should give you a loaner truck instead of the POS4 they stuck you with.

What a dirtbag.

Users who are viewing this thread