5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2022 8.4 to 12 with Uconnect 5

Kmarcella4

Reaction score
Will my uconnect 5 nav module work on previous model number screens from pre 2022 trucks?

Kmarcella4

Reaction score
Getting ready to do this upgrade. I got a screen and a bezel. I have the Uconnect 5 with NAV. So, I'll be using the same module; just swapping screens. Everything looks ready to go. Only problem is I can't find a screen size setting on Alfaobd.

Does anyone know if Alfaobd is needed for a screen upgrade with the same module?

Honestly, most devices today would automatically detect a new screen and adjust settings accordingly, but I was not expecting that on this project. It can't be that easy, can it?
Did you need to have the newest screen or does our module work with older screens?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will my uconnect 5 nav module work on previous model number screens from pre 2022 trucks?
No. You MUST use a 2022 part number UC5 screen for it to work with a UC5 radio module. Do not mix and match UC5 parts between Heavy Duty rams and 1500’s.

Kmarcella4

Reaction score
No. You MUST use a 2022 part number UC5 screen for it to work with a UC5 radio module. Do not mix and match UC5 parts between Heavy Duty rams and 1500’s.
Well that ruins all my plans but saves me some serious headache, thank you for the response!

Farrand476

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 ram big horn and recently lost sound to my passenger side door speaker and that speaker check the speakers they are not blown I’m seeing a lot of bout a system update is anybody had this problem before

JustARam23

Reaction score
Hey Guys
So im going from the 5inch non nav to the 12.1 Nav. I read earlier in the post about changing cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled” with Alpha OBD. But this was going from to 8.4 NAV to 12.1 NAV. I am going from 5inch Non Nav to 12.1 NAV are there any other settings in alphaobd settings that need to be changed?

Thanks in advance

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys
So im going from the 5inch non nav to the 12.1 Nav. I read earlier in the post about changing cabin Net: ICS Integrated Center Stack to “not enabled” with Alpha OBD. But this was going from to 8.4 NAV to 12.1 NAV. I am going from 5inch Non Nav to 12.1 NAV are there any other settings in alphaobd settings that need to be changed?

Thanks in advance
Settings are the same, 5" or 8.4".

Dex17

Reaction score
So my upgrade went smoothly however my climate won’t work now. Only thing I can turn on is my “Rear” button but I can’t control temperature or fans. No other climate control tabs work except for the rear. Truck has been restarted numerous times and sat thru the night with it still not working this morning. Any advice?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So my upgrade went smoothly however my climate won’t work now. Only thing I can turn on is my “Rear” button but I can’t control temperature or fans. No other climate control tabs work except for the rear. Truck has been restarted numerous times and sat thru the night with it still not working this morning. Any advice?
Set this:
VehConfig 3: hvac configuration- dual zone atc

Dex17

Reaction score
Set this:
VehConfig 3: hvac configuration- dual zone atc
Update: Hot/Cold buttons working fine now

That did the trick. Only thing not working is the hot/cold buttons but from reading it seems it takes a bit for everything to sync so I’m expecting them to work soon. Thanks for all the help Jimmy!

Last edited:

JustARam23

Reaction score
I got the unit installed but having 2 small issues...

Android auto wont display the map
The back up camera isn't working

Anyone else experiencing these issues?? Is it possible the android auto map issue is because i am using a non nav unit with the large screen?

MBulutt

Reaction score
Hey i have 2022 ram 1500 laramie with 8.4 screen with uconnect5 i want to up great to 12” screen do i need the screen only or i need to upgrade the module
I have the screens parts number (68526597AC) but i dont know i need the module ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBulutt

Reaction score
Yep, already have the uconnect 5. What I don't know is if I just buy the 12 inch center stack, would my current module for the 8.4 work with the new 12 inch screen

Did you find it out by any chances?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irishwake63

Reaction score
so if you have a nav button you have nav or does all the 8.4s have it

akostaac

Reaction score
I'm anxiously waiting for all parts to arrive now. I got the screen and complete bezel from a 2022 TRX with only 13,000miles, got the radio module from ebay part # 68504544AF, ordered the LVDS and HVAC wires plus the security bypass. Going from Uconnect 5 non NAV to Uconnect 5 12' NAV. I will probably install everything next weekend.
I have a question in the new radio module you have a double plug for WIFI/BT antenna but I don't have this connected on the back of my current built in screen module. what will I connect ther now @Jimmy07

akostaac

Reaction score
I got the unit installed but having 2 small issues...

Android auto wont display the map
The back up camera isn't working

Anyone else experiencing these issues?? Is it possible the android auto map issue is because i am using a non nav unit with the large screen?
Did you find out what caused the issues you mentioned here?

akostaac

Reaction score
Did you find out what caused the issues you mentioned here?
I got done upgrading my 2022 to Uconnect 5 12inc from Uconnect 5 8.4 Non Nav. Everything works as it should but I don’t see turn bu turn navigation on my evic. I used to have it on my 2021 Uconnect 4 12inch IMG_8652.jpeg

akostaac

Reaction score
I got done upgrading my 2022 to Uconnect 5 12inc from Uconnect 5 8.4 Non Nav. Everything works as it should but I don’t see turn bu turn navigation on my evic. I used to have it on my 2021 Uconnect 4 12inch View attachment 176490
@Jimmy07 is it possible to turn on turn by turn directions on my evic? I used to have it on my 2021 UC4 12” Big Horn. I upgraded my 2022 UC5 non nav to UC5 12”. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread